Switzerland: Hockey in BASEL

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Hi, me and my wife are moving to Basel after the new year. I understand that they have an Ice Hockey team in the Swiss League?

I know almost nothing of Swiss hockey and would appreciate some quick info, what teams are good, what are the rivalries ect?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Basel is a football town and the hockey team plays only in the third league. I recommend taking a train to Bern and enjoying a game there. Langnau is from the same canton if you want a local derby. Top games are sold out so it's good to arrange tickets early.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
As Albatros already said, Basel is one of the few spots in Switzerland where they don't really care about hockey. Football is dominating there. Their MySportsLeague-Team (3 tier) draws some fans but overall it's not an exciting experience. Overall I would also recommend watching games in Zurich or Bern (both within one hour by train).

For your question about the league itself I have to say that right now there's a parity we haven't seen in a long time. Pretty much everyone can beat everyone. But top teams this year to follow are Zurich, Zug and Biel in my opinion. The most intense rivalry is definitely between Ambri-Piotta and Lugano, the two teams from the italian speaking part of Switzerland, it's always worth looking at the game. For a real good fan experience you should definitely go to Ambri as long as they still play in their old barn. It's really unique and the fans are crazy. If you need to know anything else about Swiss hockey don't hesitate to contact me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad