Hockey History: Who was better than Connor McDavid?

Please vote for the hockey players who were better than Connor McDavid.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid dominates a sheet of ice better then all of those guys. Per shift impact only Jagr and Hasek at thier absolute height can stand next to him.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Crosby, Hašek, Lidström, Jágr were better than McDavid.

McDavid is better than Potvin.

The old-timers I haven't really seen beyond clips, I assume McDavid compares favorably to most.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lidstrom is quickly turning into the one of the most overrated players in history. Playing on stacked teams in a watered down era where teams thrived on playing the trap.. never really being dominant in any one season... just consistent...and winning Norris Trophies in several seasons where he had no business winning. 7 Norris Trophies.. you can't take that away from him, but his reputation won him at least 3.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
At the moment (this exact moment) McDavid is better than his relative peer set than these guys were. He's got a long way to go before his career can be seen similarly, but can certainly has the skill to get there.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Crosby, Hašek, Lidström, Jágr were better than McDavid.

McDavid is better than Potvin.

The old-timers I haven't really seen beyond clips, I assume McDavid compares favorably to most.

Regular season? Absolutely.

Postseason? Not a chance.

Though McDavid has like 14 more years to change that narrative.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Better as in absolute ability? Jagr, Hasek, Potvin, maybe Shore.

Better in terms of career? Most if not all of them.

He could realistically pass all in boh categories but I don't expect him to pass Jagr since he has yet to match him for peak in my mind and his longveity is quite excellent.

He could also still end up at the bottom of the group. I voted somewhat like I think is realistic where he will end up if he doesnt improve further. I realise I rank Crosby lower than most but I am content on that hill.

Evergreen

At this point I'd have to go with Crosby and Jagr (as much as it pains me as a Flyers fan), plus Hasek. This could change, but without any semblance of playoff success, it's hard to go with McDavid above those three at this point.

Also, for the record I haven't really seen much or any of Plante, Kelly, Nighbor or Shore outside of highlights or just reading about them, so it's hard for me to gauge personally.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I don´t know. If this would be genuine attempt to talk about hockey history of players I would hope OP would give some insight of the players.But because that isn´t provided I go with McDavid.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
All of the the above. Maybe he should preform in the playoffs first before saying that he is better then a Frank Nighbor, Jacques Plante or Crosby.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I don´t know. If this would be genuine attempt to talk about hockey history of players I would hope OP would give some insight of the players.But because that isn´t provided I go with McDavid.

This would have been better served in the HOH Section, where Hawkman frequents.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This would have been better served in the HOH Section, where Hawkman frequents.

Well yes I know it and understand it. But then again what is the purpose of asking it here without providing any insight. There is mo requirement to be interested of hockey history. Without any kind of insight to the question this just seems of fishing certain kind of responses. Personally I do not understand it. (and yes I know I should just ignore it)

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Crosby most definitely.

I'd also probably take the 2nd best defenseman in Lidstrom over him as well.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Eddie Shore had 4 Harts and wouldve had 7-8 Norris

Eddie Shore was 3 years away from being born in the 19th century (the 1800s), and was 90yr old Don Cherry's coach in the minors FFS :laugh:.

Can we really compare anything he did in the game with what we're watching today? I think not lol.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lidstrom is quickly turning into the one of the most overrated players in history. Playing on stacked teams in a watered down era where teams thrived on playing the trap.. never really being dominant in any one season... just consistent...and winning Norris Trophies in several seasons where he had no business winning. 7 Norris Trophies.. you can't take that away from him, but his reputation won him at least 3.

Which ones? The only year you can really make a case for a reputation award was his final one, and by the same token you could argue he could have won a couple of his runner ups without the bias against Euro defensemen. If anything I think his consistency and the low-scoring of the era making offense so valuable made his peak underrated at this point. I think he was clearly better than any defenseman over the past 5-6 seasons and yet guys like Karlsson and Hedman have been discussed as being closer to the top of the league than he was.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Eddie Shore was 3 years away from being born in the 19th century (the 1800s), and was 90yr old Don Cherry's coach in the minors FFS :laugh:.

Can we really compare anything he did in the game with what we're watching today? I think not lol.
Howe started his NHL career just 7 years after Shore retired. So wheres your line?

In 30 years will Howe disregarded as a hockey all-time great because its been 110 years since hes played? You see the problem here?

I mean if its its ok to include Howe and compare him to modern players so should Shore and Morenz for that matter. You cant just pretend the NHL didnt exist from 1910-30 because it was 100 years ago.

You cant compare their athletic ability to today obviously, that would be stupid. Much like you cant compare Orr to today, as he wouldnt even make the NHL.... What you can do is say Shore was as dominant a player as there was during HIS TIME. Like Howe, Richard, Orr, Hull, Gretzky were. Shore and Morenz are no different.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad