Hockey History: Please vote for the 6 best players

Please vote for the 6 best players

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Hasek, and Jagr based on the choices. With Crosby and Hull not far behind.

I also don't know how guys like Richard, who are incredibly overrated, get listed over players like Ovechkin.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Hasek, and Jagr based on the choices. With Crosby and Hull not far behind.

I also don't know how guys like Richard, who are incredibly overrated, get listed over players like Ovechkin.

I don't know... Ovechkin is probably the greatest goalscorer of all-time

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Adjusted Goals | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm not sure where Richard will land on that list, but it will be high. But agreed there's many guys to consider as well. Personally, I find recent history more impressive than when it was still a small sport in a small populated region. The talent comes from anywhere now and also have to consider goalies equipment and stuff like that (no mask? lol)

Regarding Richard, there's the "mythical historical legend" and what he meant to the quebec population. I wasn't here and my family wasn't here as well so it means absolutely nothing to me but I guess it did for families who have been in this area for a long time.

But what about the other guys? Looking at Adjusted Goals per Game

Cecil Dye : 326 goals in in 272 games : 1.20
Denneny : 392 goals in in 329 games : 1.19
Ovechkin: 835 goals in 1197 games : 0.70
Lemieux : 616 goals in 915 games : 0.67
M. Richard : 653 goals in 978 games : 0.67
Bure 463 goals in 702 games : 0.66
Bossy 461 goals in 752 games : 0.61
Bobby Hull : 644 goals in 1063 games : 0.61
Stamkos : 516 goals in 841 games : 0.61
Brett Hull : 738 goals in 1269 games : 0.58
Esposito : 671 goals in 1282 games : 0.52
Gretzky : 758 goals in 1487 games : 0.51

I haven't ranked them all but looking at this, there's several guys that should be in the discussion. Obviously, the first 2 are the outlier, from a very different era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight Judges

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Agreed. Ive always found him + Beliveau to be very overrated, never understood why they get put so high on some peoples top 10 lists.

Reactions: Fataldogg

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky/Orr/Howe/Lemieux. I can't imagine anyone not having those 4, in some order. I have seen some times where one of them (usually Lemieux) gets ranked 5th instead of 4th - but outside of top 6, no.

Added Crosby + Roy.

Roy - Greatest goalie ever. You might argue that Hasek at his peak was better at 'stopping the puck' - but simply put Roy has the better resume. He was a monster in the playoffs - the only player in history to give Gretzky a run for his money as greatest playoff performer ever. Really, really great in the regular season too, if slightly behind Hasek.

Crosby - If you combine the caliber of player he was + his resume + his winning pedigree + his consistency at the top (top 3 all time) - he's hard to beat. His lack of trophies is underwhelming - and I think if someone like McDavid can reach his maximum potential, he could potentially outdo Crosby due to lack of trophies (he'd need major playoffs though) - but his lack of trophies isn't enough of a weakness vs anyone else here that he doesn't still make my top 6. Those who have more trophies lack elsewhere (Jagr for example, more Art Ross, but not as good playoffs nor even consistency)

I'd probably have Beliveau and Jagr next in some order

Reactions: Dominance

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Harvey, Hull, Orr, Gretzky, and from current crop, Crosby.

Didn't need the sixth one. Maybe a goalie is needed. Sawchuk? He was an amazing story.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Harvey, Hull, Orr, Gretzky, and from current crop, Crosby.

Didn't need the sixth one. Maybe a goalie is needed. Sawchuk? He was an amazing story.

I went off the board and left Mario off as he had a great peak but 2way play and too much time missed dropped him off for me.

Went Crosby, Hasek and Lidstrom, although Lidstrom could be interchangeable with a couple of others here as well.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux are obvious. Last 2 spots are hard. I vote Hasek for being the best goalie ever and a homer vote for OV lol. But you can throw any of Bobby Hull, Beliveau, Crosby, Jagr, Bourque or Roy in those spots.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Are we voting for best or greatest? Because a lot of players are better than some of the names listed here, but were standing on the shoulders of giants.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Beliveau, Jagr

Not certain between Hasek & Roy, so it was between both of them or both of Beliveau & Jagr... not easy

Surprised Ovechkin doesn't have more votes, he would be in my next group with Hull, Crosby, Harvey, Bourque, etc. and probably eventually McDavid.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Doesn't belong.

# of scoring titles

Gretzky - 10
Howe - 6
Lemieux - 6
Jagr - 5 ("doesn't belong")
Esposito - 5 (not even a poll option)
Mikita - 4
Hull - 3
Lafleur - 3
McDavid - 3
Crosby - 2
Beliveau - 1

I know Sid has 3 cups and is a great two-way center but I think he might be a bit overrated here. Jagr and Esposito should be getting more serious consideration, at least compared to the forwards they outscored. Esposito scored 76 goals to shatter the previous goals in a season record (Bobby Hull's 58).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad