Hockey History Ongoing Trivia

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
There isn't a trick, it's just not an obvious answer.
I went beyond the obvious and did some research. The answer I found doing that has already been rejected.

Okay, finally found it, it is Esposito. Very unusual season, that one; I'm still a young 34 and there were exactly four players older than that in the NHL that year.

Looks like BM67 is up.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Tied The Game

Howie Morenz scored an OT goal in the 1930 playoffs. What was unusual about this OT goal/game?

The Morenz goal was unusual because it tied the game but won the series for the Canadiens.

Total goals - two game series. Canadiena won the first game by one. The Hawks actually won the second game by one but this tied the series in goals. Hence overtime and the resulting tied game winning the series.

Last edited:

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The Morenz goal was unusual because it tied the game but won the series for the Canadiens.

Total goals - two game series. Canadiena won the first game by one. The Hawks actually won the second game by one but this tied the series in goals. Hence overtime and the resulting tied game winning the series.
Correct.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Jacques Plante?

Dit Clapper?

nope, nope.

Johnny Bower?

nope.

Lester Patrick presumably did it, but you're probably looking for someone more recent...

correct on both counts.

Last guess, Dave Keon

nope, but getting close to the right year.

Tony Esposito

BINGO!

(actually, Guy Lapointe was 4y11m younger, but close enough, I say)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
View the criteria as being very narrow and precise.

2+ stanley cup winners? Or 2 and only 2?

2 different stanley cup winning franchises? or the same team?

The question can mean a few things.

I still suspect that once the boards gets moving on this one we will see 4-5 answers, but I could be wrong.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
My next guess would be Mark Recchi but I don't if he won a WC gold but I think he did somewhere in the 90s.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Ok so inactive player with two cups and a wc gold... Adam Graves?

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Career = retired. WC Championship team member as a player while "in between" he was a member of "TWO" Stanley Cup winning teams.

Adam Graves is a retired player who won the cup with the Oilers ('90), WC gold with Canada in '93 and another cup with the Rangers in '94.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Answer

The correct answer is Connie Broden. A playoff addition adding roster depth at center, Connie Broden was a member of the 1957 and 1958 Stanley Cup winning Montreal Canadiens.He was lent to the Whitby Dunlops prior to the 1958 World Cup in Norway. Connie Broden was the WC tournament leading scorer, out-performing even the European greats, helping the Dunlops win the Gold Medal. He returned to Canada and within a month was a small part of the 1958 Canadiens Stanley Cup winning team.

Connie Broden, member of two SC winning teams and a member of a IIHF, WC winning team in between.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Question

No winner, so another question is in order. Let's stay with the number two.

Jacques Plante, November 1, 1959 was the first goalie to permanently adopt the mask as standard equipment for an NHL goalie. Who were the next two regular NHL goalies to adopt the mask as standard equipment. Note Charlie Hodge did not become a regular until a few games into the 1963-64 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad