Hockey History Books

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I just picked up The Montreal Canadiens: 100 Years of Glory by D'arcy Jenish. So far its a pretty good read. I also got Hockey a People's history as well.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Gretzky: an Autobiography (1991)

Good read without going into too much depth. Lots of anecdotes. Nothing very controversial here from what I recall, but it's an autobiography from Gretzky. Enough said.

Fire on Ice : Eric Lindros (1992)

Bad. Gives his side of the Nordiques ****storm but why should we care about the lifestory of an amateur player from such an early stage of his career.

Hockey Legends : Jeff Jacobs (1995)

Very good for kids and adults. Nice photos, book is about 11X11". Has three sections: players, greatest moments, and dynasties. I'm reading the section on players right now and it has just a page or two apiece for 20 NHL greats from Eddie Shore to Lemieux.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Overtime - The Guy Lafleur Story

The Game

Pelle Lindbergh: Behind The White Mask

The Road To Olympus

Tretiak

Gretzky To Lemieux

The Red Machine

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Overtime - The Guy Lafleur Story

The Game

Pelle Lindbergh: Behind The White Mask

The Road To Olympus

Tretiak

Gretzky To Lemieux

The Red Machine

All very good ones, although I have not read the Lindbergh one. I have the Lafleur one but have not read it yet either.

The Red Machine and Road To Olympus are absolute must-reads if you want to learn about the Soviets. Tarasov's "Road To Olympus" is also known as "Russian Hockey Secrets" in the mass market paperback edition, which is nearly as hard to find as the hardcover, which cost me over $100.

Dreakmur, where is your book order already? I still have for sale over half the ones you're looking for, at rock-bottom prices:

Total hockey: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League by James Duplacey and Dan Diamond (Hardcover - 1998)

Hockey Chronicle: Year-By-Year History of the National Hockey League by Morgan Hughes, Stan Fischler, Shirley Fischler, and Joseph Romain (Hardcover - Jun 30 2005)

Without Fear: Hockey's 50 Greatest Goaltenders by Duff & Allen (Hardcover - Nov 1 2002)

The Red Machine: The Soviet Quest to Dominate Canada’s Game by Lawrence Martin (Hardcover - Oct 1 1990)

The Hockey Compendium: NHL Facts, Stats, and Stories - Paperback (Nov 13 2001) by Dave Bidini, Jeff Klein, and Carl-Eric Reif

Kings of the Ice: A History of World Hockey by Andrew Podnieks, Pavel Barta, and Dmitri Ryzkov (Hardcover - Oct 2002)

Cold War: The amazing Canada-Soviet Hockey Series of 1972 by Roy MacSkimming (Hardcover - Oct 1 1996)

Net Worth by David Cruise (Mass Market Paperback - Sep 1 1992)

Hockey’s Golden Era: Stars of the Original Six by Frank Selke Jr., Mike Leonetti, and Harold Barkley (Paperback - Oct 1 1998)

And many more as well.

I also urge you, don't make an order without including the Tarasov book! It's expensive, but you will find it worth it, given your interest in the russians and your grasp of hockey theory.

Coast to Coast: Hockey in Canada to the Second World War by John Chi-Kit Wong (Paperback - Jul 25 2009)
(OMG, how did I miss this one coming out? This is the same guy who did Lords of the Rinks. I'll be buying this one immediately)

Reactions: Boxscore

doug hamilton

Feb 3, 2008
A book that's worth checking out is one that Rick Heinz, former St. Louis Blues goaltender, wrote back in the late 80s. The book is designed as a guide for someone who is planning on having a career in professional hockey. It talks about a number of the things you need to be aware of , the pitfalls and perks.

What makes it a great read is that Heinz does a number of digressions to illustrate the point he's making. These usually consist of stories from his career or stories of people he's met during his career. These provide some really entertaining stories about the life of a pro hockey player.

The title of the book escapes me but I have a copy on my bookshelf at home so I'll have to check it when I get home from work.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
A book that's worth checking out is one that Rick Heinz, former St. Louis Blues goaltender, wrote back in the late 80s. The book is designed as a guide for someone who is planning on having a career in professional hockey. It talks about a number of the things you need to be aware of , the pitfalls and perks.

What makes it a great read is that Heinz does a number of digressions to illustrate the point he's making. These usually consist of stories from his career or stories of people he's met during his career. These provide some really entertaining stories about the life of a pro hockey player.

The title of the book escapes me but I have a copy on my bookshelf at home so I'll have to check it when I get home from work.

It is called "Many are called, few are signed." This was in the pile I bought. Haven't read it yet but I look forward to it. It looks awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
All very good ones, although I have not read the Lindbergh one. I have the Lafleur one but have not read it yet either.

The Red Machine and Road To Olympus are absolute must-reads if you want to learn about the Soviets. Tarasov's "Road To Olympus" is also known as "Russian Hockey Secrets" in the mass market paperback edition, which is nearly as hard to find as the hardcover, which cost me over $100.

Dreakmur, where is your book order already? I still have for sale over half the ones you're looking for, at rock-bottom prices:

Total hockey: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League by James Duplacey and Dan Diamond (Hardcover - 1998)

Hockey Chronicle: Year-By-Year History of the National Hockey League by Morgan Hughes, Stan Fischler, Shirley Fischler, and Joseph Romain (Hardcover - Jun 30 2005)

Without Fear: Hockey's 50 Greatest Goaltenders by Duff & Allen (Hardcover - Nov 1 2002)

The Red Machine: The Soviet Quest to Dominate Canada’s Game by Lawrence Martin (Hardcover - Oct 1 1990)

The Hockey Compendium: NHL Facts, Stats, and Stories - Paperback (Nov 13 2001) by Dave Bidini, Jeff Klein, and Carl-Eric Reif

Kings of the Ice: A History of World Hockey by Andrew Podnieks, Pavel Barta, and Dmitri Ryzkov (Hardcover - Oct 2002)

Cold War: The amazing Canada-Soviet Hockey Series of 1972 by Roy MacSkimming (Hardcover - Oct 1 1996)

Net Worth by David Cruise (Mass Market Paperback - Sep 1 1992)

Hockey’s Golden Era: Stars of the Original Six by Frank Selke Jr., Mike Leonetti, and Harold Barkley (Paperback - Oct 1 1998)

And many more as well.

I also urge you, don't make an order without including the Tarasov book! It's expensive, but you will find it worth it, given your interest in the russians and your grasp of hockey theory.

(OMG, how did I miss this one coming out? This is the same guy who did Lords of the Rinks. I'll be buying this one immediately)

How much are you selling this for? Also, do you have a copy of Red Line by Stan Fischler? I have a bunch of Soviet hockey books but am open to another copy of Red Machine and need Red Line.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
How much are you selling this for? Also, do you have a copy of Red Line by Stan Fischler? I have a bunch of Soviet hockey books but am open to another copy of Red Machine and need Red Line.

It's $60. Not sure you'd want to pay that much for just a spare copy. But that's $4 less than it can be found for, anywhere else on the net. If anyone shows me a cheaper copy for sale, I'll beat that price, though.

My books are for sale here: http://www.leafscentral.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6164

I had an extra copy of Red Line but I sold it already.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's $60. Not sure you'd want to pay that much for just a spare copy. But that's $4 less than it can be found for, anywhere else on the net. If anyone shows me a cheaper copy for sale, I'll beat that price, though.

My books are for sale here: http://www.leafscentral.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6164

I had an extra copy of Red Line but I sold it already.

I am selling my copy for $20. Beat that price. :laugh:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
seven,

So you definitely wouldn't sell your other copy of Red Line. What other books do you have on Soviet hockey?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
seven,

So you definitely wouldn't sell your other copy of Red Line. What other books do you have on Soviet hockey?

Definitely won't be selling it. It's my personal copy!

Everyone is selling it, though: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=fischler+red+line&sts=t&x=0&y=0

Here are some other russian-related books I'm selling:

Ludwig – Hockey Night In Moscow – $5. The 1972 Summit Series from a reporter’s perspective. Lots of quotes on the play of the Russians. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+hockey+moscow

MacSkimming – Cold War: The Amazing Canada-Soviet summit Series Of 1972 - $15. If you want accounts of the gameplay of Russians, this is a great book for you. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...cold+war&sts=t

Tarasov – Russian Hockey Secrets: Russian Coach Tarasov Tells How To Win the Olympics - $70. A bargain at this price. Rare and nearly impossible to find, even in mass market paperback. My personal hardcover copy cost $100 and there is one on abebooks for $199. The information contained within is invaluable. Between this book and the Red Machine, you will know more about Russian hockey than any of your friends! MMP. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+tarasov&sts=t

Kings Of the Ice: A History Of World Hockey – $30. The best bio book ever written. You’re buying a bunch of books for $5 apiece, so shell out the cash for this one; you won’t regret it. The bios for north american players are usually taken from the legendsofhockey.net site, but many of them have many more useful and interesting paragraphs added to them. The overseas players have a wealth of information on them that you just won’t find anywhere else. 500 bios in total, about half of Europeans. Most bios over a page long. Full stats for almost all players, and photos of all. http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9781553210993

I had more, but another hfboards member who will remain nameless, already bought them.

I also have "The Father Of Russian Hockey" by Tarasov, which is impossible to find, but only a personal copy, no spare.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Definitely won't be selling it. It's my personal copy!

Everyone is selling it, though: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=fischler+red+line&sts=t&x=0&y=0

Here are some other russian-related books I'm selling:

Ludwig – Hockey Night In Moscow – $5. The 1972 Summit Series from a reporter’s perspective. Lots of quotes on the play of the Russians. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+hockey+moscow

MacSkimming – Cold War: The Amazing Canada-Soviet summit Series Of 1972 - $15. If you want accounts of the gameplay of Russians, this is a great book for you. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...cold+war&sts=t

Tarasov – Russian Hockey Secrets: Russian Coach Tarasov Tells How To Win the Olympics - $70. A bargain at this price. Rare and nearly impossible to find, even in mass market paperback. My personal hardcover copy cost $100 and there is one on abebooks for $199. The information contained within is invaluable. Between this book and the Red Machine, you will know more about Russian hockey than any of your friends! MMP. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...+tarasov&sts=t

Kings Of the Ice: A History Of World Hockey – $30. The best bio book ever written. You’re buying a bunch of books for $5 apiece, so shell out the cash for this one; you won’t regret it. The bios for north american players are usually taken from the legendsofhockey.net site, but many of them have many more useful and interesting paragraphs added to them. The overseas players have a wealth of information on them that you just won’t find anywhere else. 500 bios in total, about half of Europeans. Most bios over a page long. Full stats for almost all players, and photos of all. http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9781553210993

I had more, but another hfboards member who will remain nameless, already bought them.

I also have "The Father Of Russian Hockey" by Tarasov, which is impossible to find, but only a personal copy, no spare.

Thanks seven.

I just ordered two copies of Red Line on abebooks.com. One in like new condition and the other in good. Both copies with shipping cost me $13.60 :yo:

I have those other Soviet books, including the Road to Olympus and the Tarasov book which is nearly impossible to find. Hell, when I purchased that book years ago, I wish I bought about 5 copies!! Road to Olympus was a toughie to find, but I found it on eBay about 9 years ago for $15.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks seven.

I just ordered two copies of Red Line on abebooks.com. One in like new condition and the other in good. Both copies with shipping cost me $13.60 :yo:

I have those other Soviet books, including the Road to Olympus and the Tarasov book which is nearly impossible to find. Hell, when I purchased that book years ago, I wish I bought about 5 copies!! Road to Olympus was a toughie to find, but I found it on eBay about 9 years ago for $15.

Yep, it's one of those things where if you wait for it to show up on eBay, you'll be waiting an awful long time. I can think of a few CDs and books that I waited forever for. And some I'm still waiting for.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yep, it's one of those things where if you wait for it to show up on eBay, you'll be waiting an awful long time. I can think of a few CDs and books that I waited forever for. And some I'm still waiting for.

I never read Red Line before. What is your opinion of it? Generally, I am a fan of early Fischler pieces.

Also, do you have access to any films/DVDs of Soviet hockey? I have the Summit Series set, the 72 & 76 Canada Cups and the 74 WHA/Soviet Series on DVD.

I would love to get my hands on more footage of the Green Unit and Mogilny, Fedorov, Bure if possible.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I never read Red Line before. What is your opinion of it? Generally, I am a fan of early Fischler pieces.

Also, do you have access to any films/DVDs of Soviet hockey? I have the Summit Series set, the 72 & 76 Canada Cups and the 74 WHA/Soviet Series on DVD.

I would love to get my hands on more footage of the Green Unit and Mogilny, Fedorov, Bure if possible.

I haven't read Red Line (so many books to read, and I only read one at a time) - but I plan on doing it soon. I've skimmed it. I think it's remarkably detailed. It will be a good read.

I have the 72 series on DVD, and plan to get 74 and 76.

I saw enough of Mogilny, Fedorov, and Bure in the NHL that I don't feel the need to hunt down tape from their pre-NHL days.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I haven't read Red Line (so many books to read, and I only read one at a time) - but I plan on doing it soon. I've skimmed it. I think it's remarkably detailed. It will be a good read.

I have the 72 series on DVD, and plan to get 74 and 76.

I saw enough of Mogilny, Fedorov, and Bure in the NHL that I don't feel the need to hunt down tape from their pre-NHL days.

I was always greatly intrigued by Mogilny. Was hoping there would be a book or documentary detailing his days in the Soviet system as both a soldier and player, as well as his defection.

Personally, I love the WHA vs. Soviet series.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

I bought Red Line last summer at a used book store for $20 and finished reading it a few months ago. It is excellent for learning about the first few Soviets joining the NHL (Mogilny, Fetisov, Kasatonov, etc), as well as a brief, but informative summary of Soviet hockey history. It has a greater focus on Fetisov and the Devils, but does include a large amount of information on Mogilny. The last 20 pages or so included brief views from various players, ex-players, coaches, managers, etc about what they felt the inclusion of Soviets in the NHL meant. Worth reading for sure.

Reactions: Boxscore

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Gustafsson,

Your Avatar raised my interest. Boris Mikhailov wearing #24? Have you, er, edited the photo or...?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Gustafsson,

Your Avatar raised my interest. Boris Mikhailov wearing #24? Have you, er, edited the photo or...?

V,

How about that huh? Interesting Vladimir Martinec avatar you got there yourself. The Mikhailov was an older photo I found online before he donned his notorious #13.

Here is the picture on a smaller scale (I tried to find the bigger one, to no avail).

michpetrkarl1.jpg

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I bought Red Line last summer at a used book store for $20 and finished reading it a few months ago. It is excellent for learning about the first few Soviets joining the NHL (Mogilny, Fetisov, Kasatonov, etc), as well as a brief, but informative summary of Soviet hockey history. It has a greater focus on Fetisov and the Devils, but does include a large amount of information on Mogilny. The last 20 pages or so included brief views from various players, ex-players, coaches, managers, etc about what they felt the inclusion of Soviets in the NHL meant. Worth reading for sure.

Thanks kaiser, I am looking forward to reading the book now.

As I said, I was always facinated by Mogilny, even though Fetisov, Makarov and Mikhailov were my favorite Soviet players.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Thanks kaiser, I am looking forward to reading the book now.

As I said, I was always facinated by Mogilny, even though Fetisov, Makarov and Mikhailov were my favorite Soviet players.

Have you read Mikhailov's book? I don't know if there's a translated version.:dunno:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Have you read Mikhailov's book? I don't know if there's a translated version.:dunno:

I have not. Have never even seen/heard of an English version of his book, but would go through wall for the opportunity to read such a book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->