Hockey History Books

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I’m going to be completely honest and admit my library room, at the present moment anyways, really has no rhyme or reason in terms of organization. I have accumulated so much over the years that it has essentially become “place it wherever you can find room.” No real theme in regards to which books are on which bookshelf. But I’m in there so often I can pinpoint exactly where each book is on the shelves just from memory.

One day, when I have the time, I’d like to take on a little project and completely re-organize the entire collection. Perhaps by theme, maybe even publication year if I really want to get specific.

My advice if you’re trying to organize your stuff and make it look as visually satisfying as possible, place the hardcovers together, and the paperbacks together while keeping size in mind. It just looks nicer if similarly sized books are kept together. You may also want to separate the hockey history books from the autobiography/biography titles to make it easier to keep track of where each book is placed on your shelves.

As for cataloging, I actually keep a folder on my PC with many sub folders inside that has pictures of every single item I own. Every time I receive a new book, before I place it in the library room I snap a picture of the cover. This, for me anyways, has been the easiest way to keep track of my collection over the years. Rather than just words on a spreadsheet I have a photo of each book cover along with the title of the book as the file name. Now, the downside of course is that this can be time consuming if you have a large collection, having to snap photos of each item. But it’s worth it, IMO.

On another note, that’s the main reason why I created the facebook page for my collection - a further way to catalogue the items I own. I took those photos that I had set up on my PC, created individual photo albums for all the books, THN issues etc..and made sure they were organized. I thought it could be useful for other collectors and hockey book readers as well, and turns out I was right, as the page now has over 600 followers (which is more than I could have imagined) and growing, and I’m often receiving messages from people who discovered some books they didn’t even know existed and they went ahead and found copies for themselves.

So it terms of cataloguing, my advice would be going the picture route.
This is so awesome, thank you. I can relate to the "wherever you can find room" mantra, as that is how my memorabilia and odd-ball collection is displayed. Yet I know where every single item is from memory.

The picture route is a great idea. For my graded card collection I use the PSA grading app and take pics of all my cards as I add them--it is very helpful. I may do the same for the books--great idea!

Reactions: Habsfan18

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I’m going to be completely honest and admit my library room, at the present moment anyways, really has no rhyme or reason in terms of organization. I have accumulated so much over the years that it has essentially become “place it wherever you can find room.” No real theme in regards to which books are on which bookshelf. But I’m in there so often I can pinpoint exactly where each book is on the shelves just from memory.

One day, when I have the time, I’d like to take on a little project and completely re-organize the entire collection. Perhaps by theme, maybe even publication year if I really want to get specific.

My advice if you’re trying to organize your stuff and make it look as visually satisfying as possible, place the hardcovers together, and the paperbacks together while keeping size in mind. It just looks nicer if similarly sized books are kept together. You may also want to separate the hockey history books from the autobiography/biography titles to make it easier to keep track of where each book is placed on your shelves.

As for cataloging, I actually keep a folder on my PC with many sub folders inside that has pictures of every single item I own. Every time I receive a new book, before I place it in the library room I snap a picture of the cover. This, for me anyways, has been the easiest way to keep track of my collection over the years. Rather than just words on a spreadsheet I have a photo of each book cover along with the title of the book as the file name. Now, the downside of course is that this can be time consuming if you have a large collection, having to snap photos of each item. But it’s worth it, IMO.

On another note, that’s the main reason why I created the facebook page for my collection - a further way to catalogue the items I own. I took those photos that I had set up on my PC, created individual photo albums for all the books, THN issues etc..and made sure they were organized. I thought it could be useful for other collectors and hockey book readers as well, and turns out I was right, as the page now has over 600 followers (which is more than I could have imagined) and growing, and I’m often receiving messages from people who discovered some books they didn’t even know existed and they went ahead and found copies for themselves.

So it terms of cataloguing, my advice would be going the picture route.

It's really too bad bookogs.com closed down - it would be the perfect way for people like us to catalog our collections.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It's really too bad bookogs.com closed down - it would be the perfect way for people like us to catalog our collections.

I mean, I suppose there’s goodreads. But I’m not sure how complete their database is particularly for older and out of print hockey titles. Bit of a niche subject, I suppose.

Reactions: Boxscore

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I mean, I suppose there’s goodreads. But I’m not sure how complete their database is particularly for older and out of print hockey titles. Bit of a niche subject, I suppose.

They aren't too bad actually. Some titles obviously get missed, but I've read my share of obscure hockey books, and don't think I've had any issues. They also allow you to enter books in yourself if need be (which I've done a couple times for non-hockey).

My biggest concern is that their stuff tagged hockey is all muddled up by erotic fiction. Lots of covers of shirtless men with titles like "Dirty Talker" and "Blindsided". It's really weird.

Reactions: sabremike

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
They aren't too bad actually. Some titles obviously get missed, but I've read my share of obscure hockey books, and don't think I've had any issues. They also allow you to enter books in yourself if need be (which I've done a couple times for non-hockey).

My biggest concern is that their stuff tagged hockey is all muddled up by erotic fiction. Lots of covers of shirtless men with titles like "Dirty Talker" and "Blindsided". It's really weird.

Haha, yeah that’s no good! Apparently erotic hockey fiction must have a decent readership, because I sure as hell see a lot of questionable titles when searching for just regular hockey books through amazon.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Haha, yeah that’s no good! Apparently erotic hockey fiction must have a decent readership, because I sure as hell see a lot of questionable titles when searching for just regular hockey books through amazon.
So I'm not the only one?? Was wondering what the heck all those books were. Amazon is loaded with them.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
So I'm not the only one?? Was wondering what the heck all those books were. Amazon is loaded with them.

I wonder how many poor chap’s over the years were fooled by not looking at the cover and reading the description? Oh, “One-man advantage!” I’ve always wanted a history book focused on the power play. Oops. :laugh:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Hitting the shelves in October. This is right up my ally, so I was pretty thrilled to find out about this one today.

752009B2-177D-430F-B16B-C739C00CC6B6.jpeg

A fascinating in-depth analysis of six of the NHL’s most interesting drafts

From Guy Lafleur to Sidney Crosby to Connor McDavid, the annual draft of hockey’s most talented young prospects has long been considered the best route to Stanley Cup glory. Inexact Science delivers the remarkable facts behind the six most captivating NHL Drafts ever staged and explores the lessons learned from guessing hockey horoscopes. How did it change the business of the sport? And where is the draft headed next? The authors answer intriguing questions like: What if Montreal in 1971 had chosen Marcel Dionne No. 1 overall and not Guy Lafleur? How exactly is it that Wayne Gretzky went undrafted? How did the Red Wings turn their franchise around so dramatically in the 1989 Draft? Evan and Bruce Dowbiggin also delve into the controversies, innovative ideas, and plain old bad judgment that’s taken place on the draft floor. Always informative and entertaining, Inexact Scienceencapsulates the many compelling, wild, and unique stories in five-plus decades of NHL Draft history.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Hitting the shelves in October. This is right up my ally, so I was pretty thrilled to find out about this one today.

View attachment 426927

Will be interesting to see what drafts they selected, and their rationale.

However I'm a little skeptical of Dowbiggan's writing. I own a couple of his books, and the amount of factual errors he makes is embarrassing, especially someone who's literal job is (or was?) to cover hockey. Having one or two things off is something that can pass (though I still have a high standard), but his work wouldn't pass a fact-check on the main board here it's so bad. Hopefully this book is of a higher quality.

That said, the draft is a really interesting topic, and there is definitely not a lot written on it. Will be nice to have someone out there for sure.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Will be interesting to see what drafts they selected, and their rationale.

However I'm a little skeptical of Dowbiggan's writing. I own a couple of his books, and the amount of factual errors he makes is embarrassing, especially someone who's literal job is (or was?) to cover hockey. Having one or two things off is something that can pass (though I still have a high standard), but his work wouldn't pass a fact-check on the main board here it's so bad. Hopefully this book is of a higher quality.

That said, the draft is a really interesting topic, and there is definitely not a lot written on it. Will be nice to have someone out there for sure.

I believe this will be the 7th book of his I own, but have only read 2 of them so far. “The Defense Never Rests”, I thought was well done. And I enjoyed the Grant Fuhr autobiography which he co-authored, but it was one of those biographies I thought didn’t go as in-depth as I would have liked. It sort of left me wanting and expecting more.

Reactions: kaiser matias

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I can’t recall such a jam packed year for hockey books..

Updated 2021 book list for upcoming titles:

“The Save of My Life” - by Corey Hirsch, with Kevin Shea

“Hockey Hall of Fame True Stories” - by Eric Zweig

“No One Wins Alone: A Memoir” - by Mark Messier, with Jimmy Roberts

“Game 7: Records, Heroes & Champions” - by Richard Scott

“Call Me Indian: From the Trauma of Residential School to Becoming the NHL’s First Treaty Indigenous Player” - Fred Sasakamoose autobiography, with Meg Masters

“The Whalers: The Rise, Fall and Enduring Mystique of New England’s (Second) Greatest NHL Franchise” - by Patrick Pickens

“A Helluva Life in Hockey: A Memoir” - by Brian McFarlane

“Mosienko: The Man Who Caught Lightning In A Bottle” - by Ty Dilello

“Hockey 365: The Second Period” - by Mike Commito.

“Fighting My Way To The Top” - by Shawn Thornton

“Call Me Lanny” - Lanny McDonald with Kirstie McLellan Day

“The NHL’s Mistake by the Lake: A History of the Cleveland Barons” - by Gary Webster

“On The Clock: The Complete History of the Edmonton Oilers NHL Draft” - by Allan Mitchell

“Klondikers: Dawson City’s Stanley Cup Challenge and How a Nation Fell in Love with Hockey” - by Tim Falconer

“Capitals, Aristocrats and Cougars: The Life and Times of Victoria's Hockey Professionals, 1911-1926” - by Alan Livingstone MacLeod

“Inexact Science: The Six Most Compelling Draft Years in NHL History” - by Evan & Bruce Dowbiggin

“Hockey Doc: Stories on 50 Years of Medical Care to the Montreal Canadiens” - by Dr. David Mulder & Dr. Douglas Kinnear

“Game Misconduct: Hockey’s Toxic Culture and How to Fix It” - by Evan Moore & Jashvina Shah

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I can’t recall such a jam packed year for hockey books..

Updated 2021 book list for upcoming titles:

“The Save of My Life” - by Corey Hirsch, with Kevin Shea

“Hockey Hall of Fame True Stories” - by Eric Zweig

“No One Wins Alone: A Memoir” - by Mark Messier, with Jimmy Roberts

“Game 7: Records, Heroes & Champions” - by Richard Scott

“Call Me Indian: From the Trauma of Residential School to Becoming the NHL’s First Treaty Indigenous Player” - Fred Sasakamoose autobiography, with Meg Masters

“The Whalers: The Rise, Fall and Enduring Mystique of New England’s (Second) Greatest NHL Franchise” - by Patrick Pickens

“A Helluva Life in Hockey: A Memoir” - by Brian McFarlane

“Mosienko: The Man Who Caught Lightning In A Bottle” - by Ty Dilello

“Hockey 365: The Second Period” - by Mike Commito.

“Fighting My Way To The Top” - by Shawn Thornton

“Call Me Lanny” - Lanny McDonald with Kirstie McLellan Day

“The NHL’s Mistake by the Lake: A History of the Cleveland Barons” - by Gary Webster

“On The Clock: The Complete History of the Edmonton Oilers NHL Draft” - by Allan Mitchell

“Klondikers: Dawson City’s Stanley Cup Challenge and How a Nation Fell in Love with Hockey” - by Tim Falconer

“Capitals, Aristocrats and Cougars: The Life and Times of Victoria's Hockey Professionals, 1911-1926” - by Alan Livingstone MacLeod

“Inexact Science: The Six Most Compelling Draft Years in NHL History” - by Evan & Bruce Dowbiggin

“Hockey Doc: Stories on 50 Years of Medical Care to the Montreal Canadiens” - by Dr. David Mulder & Dr. Douglas Kinnear

“Game Misconduct: Hockey’s Toxic Culture and How to Fix It” - by Evan Moore & Jashvina Shah

A lot of interesting titles here. Good year for sure.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Kevin Shea sold me his copy of Red Dutton’s “Hockey: The Fastest Game on Earth” (1938), a book that I had been searching for a copy for YEARS to no avail. I’m thrilled to finally add it to my library. I skimmed through it and I plan on reading it this weekend. Looks fantastic. Reads very much as a complete guide to hockey and its fundamentals, and a big peak into what hockey was like during the 30’s. I’ll let you guys know if I uncover some interesting info.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I went online to purchase issues of Hockey Stars Presents Tuff Guys. Thus far I have found 2 issues on E-Bay. When searching online for "Tuff Guys" in many cases I found...stuff I was not anticipating.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005

View attachment 426927
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Lafleur in a helmet before. Interesting idea to have that as the cover of his book.

The book sounds interesting, then again I thought the same thing about Dowbiggin's book on salary caps, and that book turned out to be terrible.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Goodreads has an impressive archive but you can add books too if you happen to be the first entering a book on record.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Read a few books recently:

The Hot Line: How the Legendary Trio of Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson Transformed Hockey and Led the Winnipeg Jets to Greatness by Jeff Kirbyson. This wasn't too bad, but it really felt kind of empty. It's mostly a collection of reminiscences from contemporaries, who all universally praise the skill of all three, though this only goes for about the first half of the book. The second half looks at the WHA in a larger part, and then discusses the legacy of the line, ending with an appeal to have Hedberg and Nilsson inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (Hull already is). While a good read, it would have been better to have some more analysis and background on the players and team, instead of constantly quoting other people.

Fabric of the Game: The Stories Behind the NHL's Names, Logos, and Uniforms by Chris Creamer, Todd Radom. The book is an in-depth look at every team in NHL history and their uniform styles. A quick summary of the team's history is followed by the origin of the name and then the design choices behind the logo and jerseys. They do a great job of covering the specifics (noting the designers when possible), and give good coverage to the older defunct teams as well. It is heavy on text though, and while there are plenty of images to demonstrate things, more would certainly have been welcome.

World of Hockey: Celebrating a Century of the IIHF edited by Szymon Szemberg and Andrew Podnieks. It was released ahead of the 2008 World Championships to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the IIHF. It's an oversized, coffee-table style book, with a lot of photos, but still quite a bit of text. It does a nice job at looking at the history of international hockey, albeit brief (considering the style of book), and also has a section about the history of all IIHF member countries at the end, which was really neat.

Dream Job: My Wild Ride on the Corporate Side with the Leafs, the Raptors and TFC by Richard Peddie. This is the (ghostwritten) autobiography of the former president of MLSE. Unfortunately it doesn't get too much into that work, and he spends quite a bit of time talking about his earlier career (with Hostess, Pilsbury, and so on), and then spends a good part of the book on his business philosophy (including way too much time on company vision statements). I read it hoping to see more insight about the business side of MLSE, but this really didn't do it, and it wasn't worth the time reading. I also found it odd how he kept making a few shots at unions throughout the book, which was totally unnecessary to the overall structure (as a business executive it's clear he would not favour unions, so it just came off as odd).

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Has anyone picked up a copy of Fred Sasakamoose's 'Call Me Indian'? Any thoughts? It looks very interesting.

Last edited:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Has anyone picked up a copy of Fred Saskamoose's 'Call Me Indian'? Any thoughts? It looks very interesting.

I had the local library here purchase it back when he died in November (I have a self-imposed moratorium on book-buying at the moment). Of course it was released just a few weeks ago, so with the recent news stories there's now a 45 person waitlist for the book; I was foolish and didn't put myself at the front of the line, so I have no idea when I'll get to read it, though hopefully they buy a few more copies as it's obviously of interest.

In short, no I haven't yet, but I completely agree it looks like a really interesting story, and it came out at the right time.

Reactions: The Pale King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->