Hockey History Books

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
My “top 10 unappreciated and overlooked” hockey books - written a little while back for The Fischler Report. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

1. Win, Tie, or Wrangle: The Inside Story of the Old Ottawa Senators - by Paul Kitchen

A lesser known book released to hardly any fanfare back in 2008, this features a treasure trove of historical details for those seeking an in-depth story on the formation and overall history of the original Ottawa Senators. Written by a former president of the Society for International Hockey Research (SIHR), Paul Kitchen scoured through as much material as the city of Ottawa could provide, spending a number of years combing through the city's archives. The end result is a thoroughly researched historical account of an era and team that has been somewhat lost to time.

2. Empire of Ice: The Rise and Fall of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, 1911-1926 - by Craig Bowlsby

This brilliant, self-published work details the incredible legacy of Lester & Frank Patrick's brainchild: the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. A league which many modern fans have never heard of, it undoubtedly left its mark on the game of hockey. The Patricks' PCHA innovations to the game of hockey included introducing the forward pass, penalty shots, the goal crease, blue line, goalies being allowed to drop to the ice to make a save, and the concept of playoffs & farm system. They even introduced the concept of their players wearing numbers on the back of the sweaters in hopes of selling programs which listed each name and number - another first in hockey. The Patrick brothers, Cyclone Taylor, Frank Foyston, Smokey Harris, Eddie Oatman, Frank Fredrickson, Hugh Lehman, Ernie "Moose" Johnson and Mickey MacKay are just some of the names you'll read about. Highly recommended.

3. Sawchuk: The Trouble and Triumphs of the World’s Greatest Goalie - by David Dupuis

Brutally honest and informative, this heartbreaking account of a troubled man and an incredible goaltender is required reading for anyone wishing to learn more about the Hall of Fame goaltender. Terry Sawchuk had a difficult life filled with personal tragedy, but in it, he still managed to become a hockey hero and champion. This is a definitive account of his life on and off the ice.

4. Cowboy on Ice: The Howie Young Story - by Phil Loranger

More than a hockey book, Cowboy on Ice details Howie Young's struggle with alcoholism and his attempts to overcome the disease. Tough, charismatic, wild, and troubled, Howie Young came into the league in the early 1960's as a promising and punishing young defender for the Detroit Red Wings before his drinking and lack of discipline - both on and especially off the ice - got the better of him, and ultimately derailed his career. Fairly hard to find, and probably why it has been so overlooked, it is certainly worth hunting down a copy.

5. Golden Ice: The Greatest Teams in Hockey History, A Personal Ranking - by Stan Fischler

What do the Habs of the late 50's & late 70's, the Islanders of the early 80's, the Leafs of the late 40's to '50-'51, and the Oilers of the mid to late 80's all have in common? They comprise 5 of the top spots on the Maven's top 20 list of hockey's all-time greatest teams. Published in 1990, Golden Ice features informative chapters on each of the selected clubs (along with a few honorable mentions) - showcasing the legendary players and the moments that made them shine.

6. Before The Echoes Fade: The Story of Charlie Gardiner -by Antonia Chambers

Charlie Gardiner's biography chronicles the life and career of a goaltender who tragically passed away at 29 years of age, just two months after leading the Chicago Blackhawks to a Stanley Cup victory during declining health. Many believe he sacrificed his life to win a Stanley Cup.

7. We Did Everything But Win: Former New York Rangers Remember the Emile Francis Era - by George Grimm

Recognized as a great book by reviewers, but one I believe still doesn't receive the full credit it deserves, this oral history of an unforgettable era in Rangers history is sure to bring back fond memories for those who experienced it as a fan. The most entertaining parts of the book are the recollections from Emile Francis himself, offering great insight into many important moments throughout his career. An impressive debut effort by George Grimm, all hockey historians and Ranger fans should add it to their library.

8. Puckstruck: Distracted, Delighted and Distressed by Canada's Hockey Obsession - by Stephen Smith

The best way I can describe Puckstruck to someone is as follows..It's a hockey book, written about hockey books. Confusing? It's actually a wonderful read. Hockey fan and writer Stephen Smith took it upon himself to read every hockey book he could get his hands on. The result is a unique and fascinating look into hockey literature and culture which helps give us an understanding as to why hockey is so ingrained in Canada's identity. For those looking for an outside the box hockey read, look no further.

9. From Behind The Red Line: A North American Hockey Player In Russia - by Tod Hartje

The story of the very first North American-trained player to play in the Soviet league. There had been stories and accounts of Soviet players coming over to play in North America and the NHL, but never before had there been a story written on a North American's experience of playing in the Soviet league. In 1990, Winnipeg Jets general manager Mike Smith decided to send prospect Tod Hartje, coming off four seasons playing at Harvard, to the Soviet Union to help hone his game. The book offers interesting insights into the lifestyle of the hockey players, how the Soviet hockey system functioned at the time, and of the day to day life and challenges of a young hockey player playing the game he loved in an unfamiliar land.

10. Puck is a Four Letter Word - by Frank Orr

A work of hockey fiction, this novel is my personal all-time favorite in that category. Published in 1982, it tells the story of NHL stars Willie Mulligan and Hartley Laidlaw, then of the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs respectively, ending up on the roster of the expansion Cleveland Big Green, much to their dismay. The reason? The pair - best friends - had recently led the NHL players into a strike and as punishment from the owners and general managers, were "banished" to Cleveland. This has an obvious 70's feel to it, and I've described it as a bit of a novel version of Slap Shot. Oftentimes hilarious, the legendary Frank Orr paints a picture of this wild and crazy era in hockey history. It's a real shame we never re-visited this entertaining fictitious hockey timeline Orr created.
Thank you very much for posting this list. The only one on it that I've read was the George Grimm Rangers one, which I agree was excellent. I'm going to try and seek out some of the others, if they're easy to find. I live in Ottawa, and I've surprisingly never heard about that Senators book before.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Thank you very much for posting this list. The only one on it that I've read was the George Grimm Rangers one, which I agree was excellent. I'm going to try and seek out some of the others, if they're easy to find. I live in Ottawa, and I've surprisingly never heard about that Senators book before.

No problem, thanks for reading!

The Sens book is fantastic, but not easy to find. It should help your case though being in Ottawa. I have heard of a few cases of copies turning up in used book stores in the area. Other than online, I think they were pretty much exclusively sold in Ottawa.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

If you are in Ottawa, the OPL has a copy.

I ordered mine years ago from the publisher directly. I just took a look, and unfortunately it says they're out of print now: Penumbra Press: Books, Art Prints, Limited Editions, Collectibles.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Thoughts on Tarasov's "Road to Olympus"?

I have an original hardcover--the most cherish hockey book in my collection. I'm still trying to get a decent "Trail of the Stanley Cup" set but extremely tough.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Thoughts on Tarasov's "Road to Olympus"?

I have an original hardcover--the most cherish hockey book in my collection. I'm still trying to get a decent "Trail of the Stanley Cup" set but extremely tough.

Road To Olympus is fantastic. Tarasov had such an incredible mind for the game and he knew exactly how to get the best out of his athletes. I’d consider it required reading for anyone on this board - problem is copies are extremely difficult to come by. You’re lucky to have an original hardcover. Mine is a mass marketed paperback that has writing on the inside. I think a local coach had used it back in the 1970’s for minor hockey. I found it a few years back at a local used bookseller. Think I paid $2. Even with the writing inside I almost did a backflip.

I have all 3 Volumes of The Trail, but they’re the less valuable blue-cover editions. The black leather editions are worth even more and are harder to find. I think the full set goes for around $500 now, which is ridiculous. They’re an incredible addition to any hockey library, although less “necessary” now that we have access to vast archives from sites such as newspapers.com.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think the full set goes for around $500 now, which is ridiculous.
The blue set goes for no less than $850. The black variants are nearly impossible and run for $1,500+!

Also, Tarasov also has another book. I have this one as well. Tarasov is required reading.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Indeed. The Red Machine made #6 on my top 10 hockey books. I think I paid like $10 a number of years ago in a used book store. I agree that it’s required reading on Soviet hockey history. It’s a shame these are so hard to find, as all students, researchers and fans of hockey’s history deserve a chance to read them.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The blue set goes for no less than $850. The black variants are nearly impossible and run for $1,500+!

Also, Tarasov also has another book. I have this one as well. Tarasov is required reading.

I have a weird mismatched set I was given as a gift. I have Vol I in the black cover and Vol II & III in the blue cover. Never realized they were different print runs entirely

Indeed. The Red Machine made #6 on my top 10 hockey books. I think I paid like $10 a number of years ago in a used book store. I agree that it’s required reading on Soviet hockey history. It’s a shame these are so hard to find, as all students, researchers and fans of hockey’s history deserve a chance to read them.

Back when I started ATDing I almost spent $40 for a copy on eBay then that same day found one at a local goodwill for $3

Reactions: Boxscore

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I have a weird mismatched set I was given as a gift. I have Vol I in the black cover and Vol II & III in the blue cover. Never realized they were different print runs entirely

Back when I started ATDing I almost spent $40 for a copy on eBay then that same day found one at a local goodwill for $3

Score!

And yes, the Black leather editions were actually issued by the NHL, and were given to prominent members of the hockey world. Members of management, Hall of Famers, referees, historians involved closely with the game etc. Many of them were inscribed & numbered, and came with a note from Clarence Campbell.

The blue set was issued a number of years later and were made readily available for the general public to order as single volumes, or as a trio.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
As an extension to my above post on the Trail, here was an advertisement in THN for the blue editions.

Note the ad for Cartophilium. Run by our old friend Canadiens1958.

B9553BAA-AF64-45A1-A6A0-33DE0F2E35E2.jpeg

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Score!

And yes, the Black leather editions were actually issued by the NHL, and were given to prominent members of the hockey world. Members of management, Hall of Famers, referees, historians involved closely with the game etc. Many of them were inscribed & numbered, and came with a note from Clarence Campbell.

The blue set was issued a number of years later and were made readily available for the general public to order as single volumes, or as a trio.

I got it wrong my Vol II is the leather bound one, #987

Reactions: Habsfan18

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
@Habsfan18 you have inspired me to take the plunge. Just took this down on eBay a minute ago. Had to do it!! Couldn't pass up a great condition set of one of the original 1,000 issued copies.

gXeFj58.jpg

It's been a goal of mine for years to get a set. I just can't justify spending $1000+ on books, as much as I try.

It was nice when I was in grad school, though; our library had a complete set that I took out countless times. Have had to use the public library interlibrary a few times the past few years to get copies as well, as I always enjoy going through them and seeing what information I can find.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Well this certainly sounds interesting. Scheduled for release in November, by @Eric Zweig.

9C639E7D-2162-4204-96CE-377E91A67F10.jpeg

The Hockey Hall of Fame is full of the best to ever hit the ice. But the path to hockey greatness is not all jaw-dropping saves and game-winning goals. In Hockey Hall of Fame True Stories, hockey historian and writer Eric Zweig shares exciting tales and trivia even the most dedicated puck head might not know. This book is overflowing with behind the scenes yarns of some of history's greatest scoring sprees and winning seasons, as well as thrilling accounts of the off-ice curiosities, tragedies and heroics.
Just a few of the stories featured in this fully illustrated volume are:
  • the Guy Lafleur kidnapping plot
  • the gambling scandals of Harry Cameron and Babe Pratt
  • Newsy Lalonde's heroic home rescue
  • the 1972 Montreal Canadien's motel fire
  • the time Cy Denneny fell down a well.
Hockey Hall of Fame True Stories is for the fans who want to take a deeper look at the lives of the players they idolize. You know the stars, the scores, and the stats. But do you know the stories?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
It's been a goal of mine for years to get a set. I just can't justify spending $1000+ on books, as much as I try.

It was nice when I was in grad school, though; our library had a complete set that I took out countless times. Have had to use the public library interlibrary a few times the past few years to get copies as well, as I always enjoy going through them and seeing what information I can find.
Depending on what you want to pay you might have success getting the volumes piecemeal. There is a leather bound edition of vol. III going for $250 on E-Bay at the current time.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is why I haven't posted much lately! All the stories I've come across over the last month or so that I might have written about otherwise have gone into this book! (It's a rush job, but I think it's going to be really good.)
I'll be picking it up!

Reactions: Eric Zweig

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
@Habsfan18 -- I am going to spend some time organizing my library and books, making them a more integral part of my hockey collection. A couple of quick questions...

1. Do you have a method of organizing and shelving your books? Year, alphabetical, size, etc.?

2. How do you catalog your collection? Word doc, spreadsheet, program, paper, etc.?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
@Habsfan18 -- I am going to spend some time organizing my library and books, making them a more integral part of my hockey collection. A couple of quick questions...

1. Do you have a method of organizing and shelving your books? Year, alphabetical, size, etc.?

2. How do you catalog your collection? Word doc, spreadsheet, program, paper, etc.?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I’m going to be completely honest and admit my library room, at the present moment anyways, really has no rhyme or reason in terms of organization. I have accumulated so much over the years that it has essentially become “place it wherever you can find room.” No real theme in regards to which books are on which bookshelf. But I’m in there so often I can pinpoint exactly where each book is on the shelves just from memory.

One day, when I have the time, I’d like to take on a little project and completely re-organize the entire collection. Perhaps by theme, maybe even publication year if I really want to get specific.

My advice if you’re trying to organize your stuff and make it look as visually satisfying as possible, place the hardcovers together, and the paperbacks together while keeping size in mind. It just looks nicer if similarly sized books are kept together. You may also want to separate the hockey history books from the autobiography/biography titles to make it easier to keep track of where each book is placed on your shelves.

As for cataloging, I actually keep a folder on my PC with many sub folders inside that has pictures of every single item I own. Every time I receive a new book, before I place it in the library room I snap a picture of the cover. This, for me anyways, has been the easiest way to keep track of my collection over the years. Rather than just words on a spreadsheet I have a photo of each book cover along with the title of the book as the file name. Now, the downside of course is that this can be time consuming if you have a large collection, having to snap photos of each item. But it’s worth it, IMO.

On another note, that’s the main reason why I created the facebook page for my collection - a further way to catalogue the items I own. I took those photos that I had set up on my PC, created individual photo albums for all the books, THN issues etc..and made sure they were organized. I thought it could be useful for other collectors and hockey book readers as well, and turns out I was right, as the page now has over 600 followers (which is more than I could have imagined) and growing, and I’m often receiving messages from people who discovered some books they didn’t even know existed and they went ahead and found copies for themselves.

So it terms of cataloguing, my advice would be going the picture route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad