Hockey History Books

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
He’s a walking talking hockey encyclopedia, and he played a big part in growing the game’s popularity with his works throughout multiple decades. He deserves his spot in the HHOF’s media category, IMO. And I know that may not be a popular opinion here.

I think you may be misreading the room here with this statement.

I can't speak for every single person in this section, but I think it is a widespread belief that if there were only room for 20 members in the HHOF's media category, he should be one of them.

Has he said many things that the majority of people in this section would strongly disagree with? Absolutely, but in no way does that make him any less of a no-brainer media induction.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think you may be misreading the room here with this statement.

I can't speak for every single person in this section, but I think it is a widespread belief that if there were only room for 20 members in the HHOF's media category, he should be one of them.

Has he said many things that the majority of people in this section would strongly disagree with? Absolutely, but in no way does that make him any less of a no-brainer media induction.

I don’t know. I’ve read comments on here from multiple posters stating Stan has no clue about the game, is an overrated writer who hardly ever wrote his own books, and is factually inaccurate in most of his historical reporting. Which of course is all untrue.

I mean, some of his outlandish statements and opinions over the years are hilarious to look back on - such as taking Walt Tkaczuk over Bobby Orr..and Petr Prucha over Sidney Crosby. But that was his shtick. And that shtick sold papers and books, and made viewers tune into his broadcasts. As a historian, his knowledge of hockey history is up there with the very best.

But he should absolutely be a no-brainer inductee. I’d love to see it happen before he passes. He’s 89..

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
View attachment 414386

It’s behind a paywall so I can’t post the piece, but it has been a pretty big thrill communicating with Stan Fischler over the past few months. He’s very friendly. He’s living in Israel with his son and family, and is turning 89 on Wednesday. Still writing about the game!

Say what you want about his hot takes and opinions over the years, but the Hockey Maven is a legend in my view. He’s a walking talking hockey encyclopedia, and he played a big part in growing the game’s popularity with his works throughout multiple decades. He deserves his spot in the HHOF’s media category, IMO. And I know that may not be a popular opinion here.
Over your left shoulder... yellow book, third from the bottom on the stack on the shelves... is that Pro Hockey Heroes of Today by Bill Libby? If so, that is my absolute favorite hockey book for one reason--it was one of the first books I owned as a little kid and my mom used to read it to me... over and over. I still have my original copy plus added at least 2-3 more copies over the years just for sentiment.

Your collection is wonderful! Cheers.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Over your left shoulder... yellow book, third from the bottom on the stack on the shelves... is that Pro Hockey Heroes of Today by Bill Libby? If so, that is my absolute favorite hockey book for one reason--it was one of the first books I owned as a little kid and my mom used to read it to me... over and over. I still have my original copy plus added at least 2-3 more copies over the years just for sentiment.

Your collection is wonderful! Cheers.

Thank you! And good eye. A number of profiles accompanied by action photos throughout..I can see why it was your favorite. I had read that it was a very popular library book for school-aged kids. Bill Libby has a few hockey books to his credit.

Reactions: Boxscore

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Almost overlooked it: Eric Zweig's book on the Kenora Thistles is supposed to be out at some point between autumn and Christmas 2021.

Ah, good call. Thanks for the reminder. I recall him announcing this a few months ago, but it slipped my mind. Eric is a wonderful writer and historian.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
And we can add yet another title for 2021, with Kevin Shea letting me know about his upcoming release.

”The Save of My Life” - by Corey Hirsch, with Kevin Shea

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
And we can add yet another title for 2021, with Kevin Shea letting me know about his upcoming release.

”The Save of My Life” - by Corey Hirsch, with Kevin Shea

I just looked up the prospective publication date.

Hirsch.jpg

Dear hockey writers! Please stop it already. Autumn 2021 is overbooked. Go look for another date!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It’s getting comical now...Add another one for October 2021.

Stop the count!

No, in all seriousness, they will have to move back some of those dates to November and December, otherwise the market will be completely oversaturated in October. It doesn't make any sense economically, so I'm sure some publishers will adjust.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Stop the count!

No, in all seriousness, they will have to move back some of those dates to November and December, otherwise the market will be completely oversaturated in October. It doesn't make any sense economically, so I'm sure some publishers will adjust.

You’re likely right. Many books are scheduled for September through November each year, but a few always end up seeing delays. Either way, I doubt we’ll see 10+ hockey books all released within 3 or 4 weeks of each other.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Stop the count!

I get why they are setting those dates (start of the hockey season), but it would be nice if they spread it out a bit more. So many good titles coming out this year, going to be a fun time reading through them all.

Reactions: Habsfan18

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don’t know. I’ve read comments on here from multiple posters stating Stan has no clue about the game, is an overrated writer who hardly ever wrote his own books, and is factually inaccurate in most of his historical reporting. Which of course is all untrue.

I mean, some of his outlandish statements and opinions over the years are hilarious to look back on - such as taking Walt Tkaczuk over Bobby Orr..and Petr Prucha over Sidney Crosby. But that was his shtick. And that shtick sold papers and books, and made viewers tune into his broadcasts. As a historian, his knowledge of hockey history is up there with the very best.

But he should absolutely be a no-brainer inductee. I’d love to see it happen before he passes. He’s 89..
Nothing against Fischler personally, I wish him all the best in his later years. But as to the Hall of Fame.... I don't think you get mercy votes into the Hall of Fame because you're now old. You get into the Hall of Fame because of what you did. And Fischler did a lot of attacking legendary players and generally being a medio blowhard who craved attention. He went after Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky to absurd degrees. He picked Mike Gartner over Mark Messier (that is, until Mess went to New York, at which point Fischler asked to drink his bath-water).

It's like I always say about Theoren Fleury's chances: He didn't do himself any favors by (a) being a prick on the ice, and (b) throwing everybody he played with and for under the bus (as Fleury did in his book). If you spend your career bad-mouthing teammates, players, and superstars in order to get attention, you have only yourself to blame if the Hall of Fame passes you over.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
@Theokritos

It’s getting comical now...Add another one for October 2021.

Mark Messier’s memoir:

https://www.amazon.ca/One-Wins-Alon...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AB47DPBB1MVR7MNAB10X
I was all excited about this, but then looking at the Amazon info, I'm now a bit worried.

It's co-written with an American journalist, which inevitably means a big bias to the New York period over Edmonton, and it seems to be Mess's attempt at a motivational book to inspire others... or something. Just a history would be fine.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Another solid book coming out this year that I figured should be mentioned:

Dear Red Light: Some Seasons In The Life Of An NHL Goaltender by Wilfred Cude (Wilf Cude's son)

wilfie.jpg

I have been helping the family on and off with the book and have read the completed manuscript. It's simply terrific and I think a lot of people will enjoy the story a great deal. 3-4 months from now is when it's expected to be released.

Reactions: Boxscore

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Nothing against Fischler personally, I wish him all the best in his later years. But as to the Hall of Fame.... I don't think you get mercy votes into the Hall of Fame because you're now old. You get into the Hall of Fame because of what you did. And Fischler did a lot of attacking legendary players and generally being a medio blowhard who craved attention. He went after Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky to absurd degrees. He picked Mike Gartner over Mark Messier (that is, until Mess went to New York, at which point Fischler asked to drink his bath-water).

It's like I always say about Theoren Fleury's chances: He didn't do himself any favors by (a) being a prick on the ice, and (b) throwing everybody he played with and for under the bus (as Fleury did in his book). If you spend your career bad-mouthing teammates, players, and superstars in order to get attention, you have only yourself to blame if the Hall of Fame passes you over.

But then aren’t you essentially saying you don’t believe Stan deserves a spot because of the fact he shared unpopular opinions throughout his career? That was his job. He was a columnist, author and broadcaster. Of course we don’t agree with a lot of his takes, but he got paid to give them and he was entitled to those opinions. Sure he ended up with egg on his face a lot of the time. And in hindsight, obviously he was WAY off with with the “Gretzky will never be a winner” or “Orr isn’t a real DEFENCEmen” talk. But did he really truly believe that stuff? Or was he offering an alternate take compared to the norm, and driving newspaper/book sales & television views? Stan was always a New York guy at heart. So I’m sure some biases came through when the Oilers were trying to dethrone the mighty Islanders. But he was far from the only journalist and author to question “the kids” in those days. He just took it a bit too far, but again much of that was his shtick.

Right around the same time that he apparently “hated” Gretzky, he released a book in the early 80’s titled “The Great Gretzky” which was a nice pictorial biography in which he talked up Wayne quite a bit. I’m sure he was trying to cash in on the popularity like many authors in those days, but if he really hated Wayne would he have written a book with a positive take on him? He was also very complimentary of his good friend Peter Gzowski’s book “The Game of Our Lives”, which was a fly on the wall look into the 1980-1981 Edmonton Oilers.

We can’t penalize a guy who was doing his job of publicizing his views on the game simply because many of those opinions weren’t the popular ones or correct in hindsight. I don’t think he went out of his way to be malicious or to personally attack specific players more than any other columnist writing opinion pieces. The Maven just had a larger readership and platform than most which of course magnified his statements. I mean, he has been in the public eye writing and speaking about the game since the 1950’s.

I’ve always maintained - and not everyone will agree but some would back me up - Stan generally did pretty well with the facts as a historian, and has always been a walking encyclopedia of knowledge even if there were some inaccuracies here and there. It’s the opinions and statements that people had a difficult time with, and that’s justified of course. We’re entitled to disagree with him just as much as he was entitled to write the columns and make the statements. But there is no denying his love for the game of hockey, or the fact that he helped grow the game’s popularity. Being involved in hockey for so many decades, while authoring many books that reviewed and sold well, I think he has earned his place.

I was all excited about this, but then looking at the Amazon info, I'm now a bit worried.

It's co-written with an American journalist, which inevitably means a big bias to the New York period over Edmonton, and it seems to be Mess's attempt at a motivational book to inspire others... or something. Just a history would be fine.

I wondered the same, based on the title. But it is still listed as a hockey memoir, so hopefully that is a good sign. But this part of the synopsis definitely makes it sound like a half autobiography/half uplifting leadership book...which would definitely be a disappointment, IMO. I’d much rather a full blown tell-all hockey memoir. Not really interested in 300+ pages of Mess sharing his leadership philosophies..

This is his story. Messier reveals the astonishing journey he took to making NHL history, and the leadership philosophy he learned along the way. He recounts never-before-told tales from his childhood as the son of a hockey player, coach, and special education teacher; his years as a teammate and friend of Wayne Gretzky; and his evolution from a brash eighteen-year-old rookie to a distinctive captain and champion. Though bruising on the ice, he led teams with a deep understanding of what inspires and motivates people. He shares the advice he got from the inspirational leaders who had the greatest influence on him, and the lessons he gleaned from the pivotal successes—and sometimes failures—of his career.

More than a book about hockey, No One Wins Alonedemonstrates what it means to build a life, achieve dreams, and support the people around you. “My real wish,” Messier says, “is to inspire people to reach their full potential.”

Another solid book coming out this year that I figured should be mentioned:

Dear Red Light: Some Seasons In The Life Of An NHL Goaltender by Wilfred Cude (Wilf Cude's son)

I have been helping the family on and off with the book and have read the completed manuscript. It's simply terrific and I think a lot of people will enjoy the story a great deal. 3-4 months from now is when it's expected to be released.

I’d be very interested in reading this one as well. Please let us know more information as to when and where it will become available, when you learn more. There haven’t been many books covering the 1930’s decade.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Pretty big thrill for me lol My latest book related feature for “The Fischler Report” will run next week and will list my top 10 “under-appreciated” hockey books.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Mosienko_Cover-400x600.jpg

Happy to announce that I've signed a book deal for my latest work "MOSIENKO: The Man Who Caught Lightning In A Bottle" and it's being released by Great Plains Publications in October.

From the publisher, "This biography tells the story of one of Manitoba's greatest athletes of all time. Bill Mosienko became a hockey legend in 1952 when he recorded the fastest hat-trick in NHL history (3 goals in 21 seconds) —a record that stands to this day. The book starts from his childhood spent skating on the rinks of Winnipeg’s North End in the 1920s and 30s to his illustrious fourteen-year NHL career to his return to Winnipeg to play with the Winnipeg Warriors to his post-retirement career as the owner of the iconic Mosienko Bowling Lanes. Through exclusive interviews with Mosienko’s friends, family, and teammates, Dilello paints a vivid picture of Mosienko, a man known for his sportsmanship and community spirit as well as his incredible hockey talent."

More info on the book and Pre-Orders here: https://www.greatplains.mb.ca/product/mosienko/

Here's what people are saying so far about MOSIENKO:

"When one thinks of hockey's greatest goal scorers, names like Richard, Howe, Hull, Esposito, Lafleur, Bossy, Gretzky, Lemieux and Ovechkin all spring to mind. Yet despite all of their goal-scoring prowess and renown, not a single one of them has been able to best the goal-scoring record established by Bill Mosienko on the night of March 23, 1952, when the man nicknamed 'Wee Willie' recorded a hat trick ... in just 21 seconds ... still the fastest trio of goals ever scored in an NHL game.

Six decades later, Mosienko's Hall of Fame career has been largely forgotten in the wake of that one night ... a span of 21 seconds that has produced one of hockey's most enduring records. Thankfully, prolific author and noted historian Ty Dilello has gone a long ways to rectifying that long-standing oversight with his latest work 'Mosienko: The Man Who Caught Lightning In A Bottle' which tells the revealing story of not only that incredible night, or Mosienko's Hall of Fame career, but of a lifetime spent in hockey, as a player, a coach, an organizer, and a builder." - Todd Denault, Author of Jacques Plante: The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey

"Most of us have seen the smiling Chicago Black Hawks player holding three pucks. We might know that each of those pucks was used to score a goal within a 21-second span. And that is it. Some might have a vague recollection that he was part of the Pony Line, or that he has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. But that is definitely it.

Dilello's latest book introduces all of us to the man behind the record — his modest hockey beginnings, his unusual path to the NHL, his outstanding career and his post-hockey life in a bowling alley." - Kevin Shea, Author of Barilko: Without A Trace

"If fans today know the name Bill Mosienko, it’s likely for just a single event: the fastest hat trick in NHL history. But 'Mosie' was more than a one-trick pony! Ty Dilello knows the history of Manitoba hockey players as well as anybody, so who better to tell us Mosienko’s story? His biography shows us Mosienko the man; not just the hockey player. With access to old interviews (and his own new interviews with several old men!), Dilello explains how a child of immigrants growing up during the Great Depression became not just a Hockey Hall of Fame player but a great ambassador for the game in his hometown of Winnipeg." - Eric Zweig, Author of Art Ross: The Hockey Legend Who Built The Bruins

Reactions: GB and Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just a follow up on my Fischler reply to The Panther above..

I think this is even more proof that a lot of it came down to knowing exactly how to drum up interest and drive readers to his columns. He knew exactly what he was doing, and it worked. What better way to get people talking than to be critical of the superstars?

From a Boston Globe article in March of 1976.

65AC6276-A486-4C6C-8D3C-3E4AC8B36750.jpeg

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

Regarding Stan Fischler and the HHOF.....the first issue is, under what category would he be inducted?

The media has 2 awards which result in plaques in the Hall. The Elmer Ferguson Award is for hockey journalism (i.e. written journalism), and the Foster Hewitt Award is for hockey broadcasting.

So, Fischler's columns in THN, SI, etc. would qualify for the Elmer Ferguson; his TV work would qualify for the Foster Hewitt; so, what about all those books he wrote....presumably they wouldn't qualify for either award, would they? Writing books is generally not considered journalism.
----------------------------
I dont think Fischler is very well respected by anybody - fans, players, management, journalists - in the hockey world. Is this the reason he hasn't received the Elmer Ferguson?

I remember in the '80s, most hockey people I knew thought Fischler was a joke....the very mention of his name would generally elicit laughter.
------------------------
My own opinion about Fischler......I don't care if he receives one of these awards or not and, actually, I didn't even know that he hasn't yet received one of them.

Given that he's written so much, I've read a very small amount of what he's written. But I read THN in the '80s and he wrote a column called "On the Contrary"....just from reading this, it was immediately obvious that his writing was very cheap, lacking in substance, and he had a very poor knowledge of hockey. And he said a lot of ridiculous things on a regular basis.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Re-visiting this thread reminded me to order a copy of Lions in Winter. The local Half Price Books had 2 copies on the shelf 2-3 years ago. Always thumbed through it but never brought it home. When I returned one day to finally pull the trigger both copies were gone.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
My “top 10 unappreciated and overlooked” hockey books - written a little while back for The Fischler Report. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

1. Win, Tie, or Wrangle: The Inside Story of the Old Ottawa Senators - by Paul Kitchen

A lesser known book released to hardly any fanfare back in 2008, this features a treasure trove of historical details for those seeking an in-depth story on the formation and overall history of the original Ottawa Senators. Written by a former president of the Society for International Hockey Research (SIHR), Paul Kitchen scoured through as much material as the city of Ottawa could provide, spending a number of years combing through the city's archives. The end result is a thoroughly researched historical account of an era and team that has been somewhat lost to time.

2. Empire of Ice: The Rise and Fall of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, 1911-1926 - by Craig Bowlsby

This brilliant, self-published work details the incredible legacy of Lester & Frank Patrick's brainchild: the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. A league which many modern fans have never heard of, it undoubtedly left its mark on the game of hockey. The Patricks' PCHA innovations to the game of hockey included introducing the forward pass, penalty shots, the goal crease, blue line, goalies being allowed to drop to the ice to make a save, and the concept of playoffs & farm system. They even introduced the concept of their players wearing numbers on the back of the sweaters in hopes of selling programs which listed each name and number - another first in hockey. The Patrick brothers, Cyclone Taylor, Frank Foyston, Smokey Harris, Eddie Oatman, Frank Fredrickson, Hugh Lehman, Ernie "Moose" Johnson and Mickey MacKay are just some of the names you'll read about. Highly recommended.

3. Sawchuk: The Trouble and Triumphs of the World’s Greatest Goalie - by David Dupuis

Brutally honest and informative, this heartbreaking account of a troubled man and an incredible goaltender is required reading for anyone wishing to learn more about the Hall of Fame goaltender. Terry Sawchuk had a difficult life filled with personal tragedy, but in it, he still managed to become a hockey hero and champion. This is a definitive account of his life on and off the ice.

4. Cowboy on Ice: The Howie Young Story - by Phil Loranger

More than a hockey book, Cowboy on Ice details Howie Young's struggle with alcoholism and his attempts to overcome the disease. Tough, charismatic, wild, and troubled, Howie Young came into the league in the early 1960's as a promising and punishing young defender for the Detroit Red Wings before his drinking and lack of discipline - both on and especially off the ice - got the better of him, and ultimately derailed his career. Fairly hard to find, and probably why it has been so overlooked, it is certainly worth hunting down a copy.

5. Golden Ice: The Greatest Teams in Hockey History, A Personal Ranking - by Stan Fischler

What do the Habs of the late 50's & late 70's, the Islanders of the early 80's, the Leafs of the late 40's to '50-'51, and the Oilers of the mid to late 80's all have in common? They comprise 5 of the top spots on the Maven's top 20 list of hockey's all-time greatest teams. Published in 1990, Golden Ice features informative chapters on each of the selected clubs (along with a few honorable mentions) - showcasing the legendary players and the moments that made them shine.

6. Before The Echoes Fade: The Story of Charlie Gardiner -by Antonia Chambers

Charlie Gardiner's biography chronicles the life and career of a goaltender who tragically passed away at 29 years of age, just two months after leading the Chicago Blackhawks to a Stanley Cup victory during declining health. Many believe he sacrificed his life to win a Stanley Cup.

7. We Did Everything But Win: Former New York Rangers Remember the Emile Francis Era - by George Grimm

Recognized as a great book by reviewers, but one I believe still doesn't receive the full credit it deserves, this oral history of an unforgettable era in Rangers history is sure to bring back fond memories for those who experienced it as a fan. The most entertaining parts of the book are the recollections from Emile Francis himself, offering great insight into many important moments throughout his career. An impressive debut effort by George Grimm, all hockey historians and Ranger fans should add it to their library.

8. Puckstruck: Distracted, Delighted and Distressed by Canada's Hockey Obsession - by Stephen Smith

The best way I can describe Puckstruck to someone is as follows..It's a hockey book, written about hockey books. Confusing? It's actually a wonderful read. Hockey fan and writer Stephen Smith took it upon himself to read every hockey book he could get his hands on. The result is a unique and fascinating look into hockey literature and culture which helps give us an understanding as to why hockey is so ingrained in Canada's identity. For those looking for an outside the box hockey read, look no further.

9. From Behind The Red Line: A North American Hockey Player In Russia - by Tod Hartje

The story of the very first North American-trained player to play in the Soviet league. There had been stories and accounts of Soviet players coming over to play in North America and the NHL, but never before had there been a story written on a North American's experience of playing in the Soviet league. In 1990, Winnipeg Jets general manager Mike Smith decided to send prospect Tod Hartje, coming off four seasons playing at Harvard, to the Soviet Union to help hone his game. The book offers interesting insights into the lifestyle of the hockey players, how the Soviet hockey system functioned at the time, and of the day to day life and challenges of a young hockey player playing the game he loved in an unfamiliar land.

10. Puck is a Four Letter Word - by Frank Orr

A work of hockey fiction, this novel is my personal all-time favorite in that category. Published in 1982, it tells the story of NHL stars Willie Mulligan and Hartley Laidlaw, then of the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs respectively, ending up on the roster of the expansion Cleveland Big Green, much to their dismay. The reason? The pair - best friends - had recently led the NHL players into a strike and as punishment from the owners and general managers, were "banished" to Cleveland. This has an obvious 70's feel to it, and I've described it as a bit of a novel version of Slap Shot. Oftentimes hilarious, the legendary Frank Orr paints a picture of this wild and crazy era in hockey history. It's a real shame we never re-visited this entertaining fictitious hockey timeline Orr created.

Last edited:
Reactions: reckoning

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad