Hockey History Books

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Does it cover 1880's-1890's era extensively with all player bios with detail? I find myself very fascinated with that era of hockey & its many great forgotten players.

If you're interested in that era you might like "Win, Tie or Wrangle" by Paul Kitchen. It is a history of hockey in Ottawa (not hockey in general) but it is a pretty hardcore history book which goes into a lot of detail on the birth and evolution of the game and leagues that turned into the NHL. It is not a light read but there's a lot of great detail you can't get in many other places. It gives you a great feel for the early days of the game.

I'd love to get the Trail of the Stanley Cup (I've never even seen a copy but just from the description). I guess there's no inexpensive alternative is there? The NHL should consider re-releasing it - the original printings should still hold their value even if it came out again I would imagine (most of them seem to be personalized to some hockey great and would still have collectors value).

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Rather than buying Trial of the Stanly Cup, check out the library. If your local library doesn't have it, you might be able to get it through inter-library loan. I know the Toronto Reference library has all 3 volumes. i spent a couple of hours there skimming through it.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
If you're interested in that era you might like "Win, Tie or Wrangle" by Paul Kitchen. It is a history of hockey in Ottawa (not hockey in general) but it is a pretty hardcore history book which goes into a lot of detail on the birth and evolution of the game and leagues that turned into the NHL. It is not a light read but there's a lot of great detail you can't get in many other places. It gives you a great feel for the early days of the game.

I'd love to get the Trail of the Stanley Cup (I've never even seen a copy but just from the description). I guess there's no inexpensive alternative is there? The NHL should consider re-releasing it - the original printings should still hold their value even if it came out again I would imagine (most of them seem to be personalized to some hockey great and would still have collectors value).

Thanks I'll have to check it out.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

By the way, I just wanted to add that this is an outstanding book.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Hello Canada!, The Life and Times of Foster Hewitt - Scott Young
Conn Smythe, If You Can't Beat 'Em in the Alley - Conn Smythe with Scott Young
I Play To Win - Stan Mikita
Canadiens Captains - Michael Ulmer
Strength Down Centre, The Jean Beliveau Story - Hugh Hood
When The Rangers Were Young - Frank Boucher with Trent Frayne
Lions in Winter - Chrys Goyens and Allan Turowetz
Heroes, Stars of Hockey's Golden Era - Frank Pagnucco
Red's Story - Red Storey with Brodie Snyder
The Home Team, Fathers, Sons & Hockey - Roy MacGregor
Hockey in My Blood - Johnny Bucyk
The Game of Our Lives - Peter Gzowski
Gordie A Hockey Legend - Roy MacSkimming
Canada On Ice 50 Years of Great Hockey from the archives of Maclean's - edited by Michael Benedict and D'Arcy Jenish
The Mad Men of Hockey - Trent Frayne

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hello Canada!, The Life and Times of Foster Hewitt - Scott Young
Conn Smythe, If You Can't Beat 'Em in the Alley - Conn Smythe with Scott Young
I Play To Win - Stan Mikita
Canadiens Captains - Michael Ulmer
Strength Down Centre, The Jean Beliveau Story - Hugh Hood
When The Rangers Were Young - Frank Boucher with Trent Frayne
Lions in Winter - Chrys Goyens and Allan Turowetz
Heroes, Stars of Hockey's Golden Era - Frank Pagnucco
Red's Story - Red Storey with Brodie Snyder
The Home Team, Fathers, Sons & Hockey - Roy MacGregor
Hockey in My Blood - Johnny Bucyk
The Game of Our Lives - Peter Gzowski
Gordie A Hockey Legend - Roy MacSkimming
Canada On Ice 50 Years of Great Hockey from the archives of Maclean's - edited by Michael Benedict and D'Arcy Jenish
The Mad Men of Hockey - Trent Frayne

Got 'em all, except for the Mikita book, as I have two others solely about Mikita and as I understand it, this one focuses mostly on technique.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
can you guys all name the authors of your brooks too thanks

Net Worth- David Cruise and Alison Griffiths
Ultimate Hockey-Jeff Chapman, Glen Weir, Travis Weir
Power Plays-Gil Stein
Money Players-Bruce Dowbiggin
Game Misconduct-Russ Conway
Go to the Net-Al Strachan(an interesting book if you get past the premise that a single goal can change the game).
The Rookie-Shawna Richer
For the Defence-Larry Robinson
The Glory Barons-Douglas Hunter

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Just got 2 books glanced at the Hockey Now book written by Mike Leonetti

It is about today's best players. He gives you a bio on each player with insights about their career accomplishments thus far.

and I couldn't put down the Book "Hockey Commentary" by Brian McFarlane who was a Host and Colour man for HNIC for several decades.

There is a section on players that he knew.He talks too and reminisces about cyclone taylor, ace bailey bill barilko's sister and dozens more hockey stars and hall of famers.

Def a worthy addition to your hockey library

side note:

I always wonder why brian isn't on radio somewhere for at least one day a week!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Leafs Abomination

Thunder and Lightning (Phil Esposito)
- holds NOTHING back, extramarital activities of players, himself etc.

Let's Talk Hockey 50 Wonderful Debates - if you ever want to feel like you are in a barroom debating hockey than this is a great read. Aimed at the hard core fan I think. Apparently Andy Frost (Maple Leafs public announcer) enjoyed and promoted this book

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Just recently got Let's Talk Hockey 50 Wonderful Debates and Cyclone Taylor "The legend". Both are good books to add to your collection. The debates book is cool, and a fun read. I'm still reading the legend but it is very very good so far.

nova scotia

Aug 15, 2007
NHL Coaches~ No 4

The book "The Reddins of Prince Edward Island has a chapter in it on their late relative Tommy Gorman. He is one of the five founding fathers of the NHL. Colin Reddin playing in the WHL is grandson of Ivan Reddin of PEI.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
Lots of fine books mentioned, but you might want to try "Putting A Roof On Winter: Hockey's Rise from Sport to Spectacle" by Michael McKinley

It is a very well written, broad-based account of hockey's early and formative years.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
Leafs Abomination

Thunder and Lightning (Phil Esposito)
- holds NOTHING back, extramarital activities of players, himself etc.

Let's Talk Hockey 50 Wonderful Debates - if you ever want to feel like you are in a barroom debating hockey than this is a great read. Aimed at the hard core fan I think. Apparently Andy Frost (Maple Leafs public announcer) enjoyed and promoted this book

I read most of Thunder and Lightning recently and its pretty interesting.

hockeyauthority

Yes, I picked it up for Christmas for my two nephews. I read it already and went out to get one for myself :naughty:

Good for those classic debates

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lots of fine books mentioned, but you might want to try "Putting A Roof On Winter: Hockey's Rise from Sport to Spectacle" by Michael McKinley

It is a very well written, broad-based account of hockey's early and formative years.

I agree; this book was a fun read and has been very useful in the all-time draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->