Hockey Hip-Hop & Rap? New Approach to Advertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us said:
The people saying "I hate hip hop/rap, and I wouldn't come to a game because of that' are simply racist. Who cares?

Hockey is growing with the black community, IMO. Rappers promote it alot more than people that sing about slitting their wrists, how they have no friend, and how their life sucks.
Whoa I learned a new fact. Not going to games because you dont like hip hop and rap makes you racist. Wow, thanks for the information.

puckhead103*

Jade said:
I’m an Asian girl that happens to love hockey (although sports in general) and I like hip hop, but I don’t think that trying to market hockey in rap, hip-hop videos will necessarily be the thing to expand hockey to a wider audience. I agree with the idea that this poster is going at. The problem with hockey is that is predominantly played by White N.Americans/Europeans, so most of the fan base is going to be white (black Canadians don’t count because Hockey IS the sport of Canada).

If Hockey wanted a wider audience than to the white public they would need to have the Tiger Woods, Ichiro Suzuki, Yao Ming, of the Hockey world. Buffalo has Mike Grier, Sens have Ray Emery, NYR has Weekes but, although they aren’t the “Tiger Woods†facto, still works. The NHL should start promoting these types of guys though, this will show the public that it’s not just white guys that play hockey. I don’t live close enough to Ottawa but I would think that Emery would be a great source of Public Relations for the Sens. Yes, Emery and Weekes are Canadians but honestly kids will just see a black guy playing a sport that is dominated by white guys. Once they see that it’s almost a sense of it’s okay to play something else besides Basketball or Football.

Hockey needs to be promoted in the cities like in elementary schools, after school clubs to kids of different backgrounds. The only sport that I’m used to seeing in the US at least is Basketball, Baseball, Football taught in elementary schools…if Hockey is to expand it needs to fight for those kids that play these sports.

It may take some time but slowly but surely the sport will expand with some help of its players and promotion by the NHL and affiliates.
the only way to get more youth in hockey in the US is to change the sporting culture.....

in canada, hockey is part of the culture...in US...its either baseball, football, or basketball......

you'll have to change the cultural sporting mindset the average american to switch to hockey....

hockey will never be the 1# sport here....thats the way it is...

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead103*

Sunny Mouhamed said:
I didnt read through every post, put just wanted to comment on somethings I read so far, and I may be repeating what someone else said, so if I did, sorry.

Firstly, lots of you are coming off as a little discrimanatory. Although most popular hip-hop and rap music is based on drugs, booze, hoes and chains, their is alot of quality stuff out there, most of the "new breed" of rappers are purposely trying to stray from this guttermouth stuff, and put some consciousness back into it. People who make these comments about rap music are the sort of people who degenerate music and break down genres, let the music do what its supposed to do. If rap is all about guns, drugs and bullets, then country is all about rusted trucks, mullets and horses, and metal and emo music is all about suicide and drug overdose.

Rap/ Hip-Hop is extremely popular now, and not just with black kids between 14-29, I think I read somewhere that 64% of rap album sales are to non-black, non-minorities. Go to any rap concert, and tell me what percentage of the crowd is white, I'd say 75% atleast.

Lastly, some of you who dont think this will work are obviously not familiar with exactly how impressionable most consumers are. It may not grow the popularity of the game overnight, but you'll see jersey sales jump pretty fast.
i'll be so happy when the rap/hip hop genre dies....bring back some real, authentic music for a change.... :rant:

I am Jack's Fish

puckhead103 said:
i'll be so happy when the rap/hip hop genre dies....bring back some real, authentic music for a change.... :rant:

I have been waiting since the '80's.

Guess what, it ain't gonna die.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Tip tip cheerio, fancy going to a hockey game?

Nay! I hear thine ice hockey is now being promoted to the colored folk & their hippity hop.

Poppycock! Back to curling it is.

Agreed.

:sarcasm:

TheSabre

John Vanbiesbrouck said:
Tip tip cheerio, fancy going to a hockey game?

Nay! I hear thine ice hockey is now being promoted to the colored folk & their hippity hop.

Poppycock! Back to curling it is.

Agreed.

:sarcasm:

Funniest thing I've heard all day. :biglaugh: :clap: :bow:

Randall Graves*

go kim johnsson 514 said:
It's not like it's never happened. I've seen a Rangers (Lindros jersey), Penguins (Gin and Juice -- also a Spingfield Indians jersey), Flyers (a few times, don't remember which one) and Blues (only because Fred Brathwaite was in a Nelly video) in rap videos, and I'm sure someone can find a picture of Easy E in a Kings jersey circa 1991. I'm sure if you search long and hard you can find a Thrashers jersey in a Ludacris or someone from Atlanta video, even if it's on like MTV6.

You never see it though because how many African-Americans are hockey fans?
almost 70 percent of the people that buy rap music are white.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Soon Hockey won't be such a white sport. There are tons of kids playing hockey, asians, blacks, and browns.. My hockey team has only 3 white kids !! We don't have to worry much about that.

But if we want people to wear NHL jersey's casually, then we've got to change it.

Cause I think rappers don't wear Hockey jerseys because they are ugly, long-sleeved, and are really meant for wearing on the ice not casually. Who'd wear a hockey jersey, and likely a shirt under that in Atlanta, in the summer?

The NFL jersey is like a t-shirt, MLB is like a button up, NBA is a tank top, NHL is a .. ??

P.S. I guess I should mention, I kinda like the new tighter fitting jerseys..

Bruinster*

Like others said, I hope the NHL never be associated to Rap and Hip-hop what a boring and dumb music . ;)

HockeySS19

Feb 28, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Who'd wear a hockey jersey, and likely a shirt under that in Atlanta, in the summer?

Me, in Florida. :sarcasm:

It might warrant a few things to wear a NHL jersey. Casual fans won't want to wear a jersey for a team that's in last place, but if a team goes to the playoffs and stuff, people might want to wear the jersey, especially if they see other people wearing them, too.

I almost never see anyone wearing a Panthers jersey at my school. But after the Panthers beat Carolina twice in a row at home, I saw two people wearing Panthers jerseys. So they go to the game and the Panthers win so they wear their jersey to school the next day. It could be that casual fans want a winning team and they won't wear a jersey or watch the games if their team is losing and has no hopes of going to the playoffs and getting a chance at the Stanely Cup. (And I'm talking about new fans too, new people joining the sport. If their team is doing bad, they won't want to watch them lose)

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
417 TO MTL said:
Does that mean i'm the only black guy who like hockey? :shakehead

What a dumb comment...

what! you're black!!!

nah I'm just kidding I knew you were black...

Talking about hip-hop and rap, I was having regrets buying another album instead of Late Registration on iTunes...

I like every kind of music, but lately rock (or pop-rock) has been the worst style. It ha became very redoundant over the past few years... When you cannot tell one U2 music from another older one, there's a problem. On the other hand, there has been a renewal in rap, hip-hop and r&b. That's great imo.

Drudkh

Feb 17, 2006
Pennsylvania
I am Jack's Fish said:
I have been waiting since the '80's.

Guess what, it ain't gonna die.

No kidding. I'm not a fan of rap either, but then I'm not a fan of the psuedo-metal that gets played the most at arenas.

two out of three*

txomisc said:
Whoa I learned a new fact. Not going to games because you dont like hip hop and rap makes you racist. Wow, thanks for the information.

I hate metal, and still go to the games. If don't go to a game because of the music they play you are racist or just hardly even like the game of hockey, and dont belong in the arena.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
puckhead103 said:
the only way to get more youth in hockey in the US is to change the sporting culture.....

in canada, hockey is part of the culture...in US...its either baseball, football, or basketball......

you'll have to change the cultural sporting mindset the average american to switch to hockey....

hockey will never be the 1# sport here....thats the way it is...

By that way of thinking, Soccer and Bowling should be right up there. It is not about what people want to play, rather than what they want to watch. I never played ice hockey, but I love to watch it. Hate watching soccer, but love playing it.

To give this league credibility and more fan support, I think they have to NOT get into any more of these Labor issues. I mean the league had quite a roll leading up to the years of Gretzky, Lemieux and the Rangers cup win. They blew it, two lockouts within 8 years will never help you out. I know of many people here I talk to that say things like "why would you want to be an NHL fan? They have lockouts every other year." One of the reasons why the NFL is bigger than the MLB and NBA is because that league has been pretty flawless for years.

Last edited:

KrisKing*

What the hell does fans wearing hockey jerseys off the ice have to do with "growing the game"? Coming from a place where hockey is huge and the people actually have a clue about it, only geeks wear jerseys as a shirt, and it doesn't seem to hurt the games popularity.

GSC2k2*

I think the NHL should try to get some of the seminal artists in dixieland jazz to start wearing some of their gear.

And after that ... Polka. The possibilities in Wisconsin alone are endless.

Bruinster*

vein said:
well, you're a pretty ignorant fella. hip hop is more than these clowns on mtv. try some defjux stuff.

Incredibly boring, Honestly I can't believe how this kind of music can be so popular, Maybe I'm too old (39) :dunno:

Leif

Aug 19, 2005
Seattle
I think the maple leafs should team up with Bedouin Soundclash, but seriously most of the hockey players on Campus(university of Maine) are either the collar up crowd or white guy thug. So rap is becoming part of the culture. But the problem will always be that hockey is a very expensive sport. Thats how it is in most of the US, the NHL should put all of it's efforts into hockey leagues for nonprivaleged kids through out the county.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
Kardi said:
xzibit loves rocking his ranger jersey

even ludacris mentions the thrashers in is georgia song

'We some ATL thrashers
Scope your pumpkin and smasha
We'll come through your hood worse than a tsunami disaster
Don't know who they gonna get or who them robbers gonna hit
Thats why I keep my Georgia Tech in the state of... Georgia'

and its about time they get into rap, maybe more people will get into the game and start coming to some of the empty arenas in the states
You DO know that the Thrasher is the Georgia state bird, right?

neophool*

This is a pretty bad idea. FOr obvious reasons that other posters have mentioned.

I for one love how serious football takes itself. The orchestral intros, the film (not video) highlight packages, the movie-trailer-esque game preludes.

Why not have more slow-mo film stock shots of teams skating out of the tunnels (a la the way the NFL promotes the teams storming the field)

Hockey needs to pony up and pay serious bucks to have serious presentations. You have so much great stuff that would look glorious on film (again, not crappy video)

Slo-mo hockey stops (the naslund stop and shoot from 4 years ago in teh playoffs that was on Sportscenters intro comes to mind) with ice flying everywhere

Crazy saves, Goal celebrations, crowds.

Oh yeah, the huge hits. I mean c'mon. It's like you have Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise and Jessica Alba in front of the camera but use a sports video camera and let some hack edit a lame intro and have second-rate music behind it. And then it sucks.

I'm not saying currrent presentations aren't using this stuff, they are not using it well enough.

And the new "theme" should be Hip Hop and Rap? Why? No one who hears Kayne West rap about how "fly" Sidney Crosby is gonna care.

And I don't buy the "minority growing" thing either. I see a lot of Asian people playing hockey, so lets have Hockey and Anime. Yeah. Anime Joe Sakic hurling fireballs at Marty Turco. Hmm.

I'll tell you what the NHL needs to do. Get it's act together. ASAP. The players have got to open up. But at the same time, I don't want to see the NHL become like the NBA with hissy fits and selfish players ruling the cameras.

It's a fine line, and while the NHL is a niche sport, it does need to become more enjoyable to the casual fan. And it all starts with the players.

More locker room access
More interviews that aren't "nice gola, take us through it!"
More behind the scenes
More Coach press conferences
More Camera angles (rail cam esp. they need to learn how to use it better)
More player-related presentation (like football, before the game starts really hype up the impact players. Once the game starts, during breaks show the lines, ONE LINE AT A TIME with the players PICTURES, or better yet, the video "player cards" like in football. Not more then 1 line and 1 defensive pairing. Too many names and pictures just confuses people.

ah, i'm drunk and done ranting. bye.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I think it is pretty safe to say that the NHL understands now (finally) that the game will not "sell itself" if no one knows about it. I've seen the Stanley cup a few times on TV already. The latest being at the Kentucky Derby. I believe that the NHL is doing the right thing with the stanley cup. Even if someone doesn't like hockey they know what the stanley cup is.

VladNYC*

Spydey629 said:
Side point -- have you ever seen a 'Rocker' in any sports merchandise in one of their videos?

The guys from System of a Down wore a Kings Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->