Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
markov` said:
Don't get me wrong, the WHL defensemen are absolutely fantastic and I'm glad to have them in Team Canada. But I think Sutter should have done more scouting to fill the last spots. Why do you think he invited only 32 players ? In my honest opinion, it is unacceptable. He invited the players that were there last year, and filled the rest of the team with WHL players.

I don't care if you're from Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto or Kuujuuaq. But any hockey fan who doesn't see a slight bias in this team doesn't know anything about hockey. Really.

Bolland Syvret Picard Quincey where not there last year

Mountain Dude

markov` said:
Don't get me wrong, the WHL defensemen are absolutely fantastic and I'm glad to have them in Team Canada. But I think Sutter should have done more scouting to fill the last spots. Why do you think he invited only 32 players ? In my honest opinion, it is unacceptable. He invited the players that were there last year, and filled the rest of the team with WHL players.

I don't care if you're from Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto or Kuujuuaq. But any hockey fan who doesn't see a slight bias in this team doesn't know anything about hockey. Really.

Obviously there is a bias, because all Sutters are biased towards really gritty western Canadian players, but to say you're going to cheer against them, and be happy if they lose, and say this is going to forever split Hockey Canada down the center, thats just stupid.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
markov` said:

I don't think anybody would argue this either. But this team is pretty much already chosen. There are already scorers and players with chemistry, so Sutter, like many coaches before him, chose the players he knows best, and can fill the roles he wants filled. How can you fault him for that?

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Oh oops, I forgot the OMJHL lost both games to Russia a couple weeks back. :lol :lol

That Russia player who "SHhhhh"-ed the fans had you good.

Thing is, put forward your best players. Who the hell cares about "representation by population" in hockey.

gmdevils

Hart_House_Ca said:
Again, let me reiterate. Its not about team canada but about the selection process and invites that i'm bothered about.

My beef is players from other leagues weren't given the chance. If they were given the chance to just get invited and were cut, do you think most of canada would be upset. no. We would clearly accept the coaches decision.

This one is my favorite!

They weren't given the chance? How about the summer development camp? If you count them up by league it breaks down to:

OHL - 10
QMJHL - 10
WHL - 25
College/BCHL - 2

So basically from what Sutter had seen at the devlopment camp, and the progress the players had made since, he made the decision on who was invited to the selection camp. Where is the problem there? Its his team, he's going to be coaching it, he's going to take the heat if they don't bring home the gold.

ALL of your comments are ignorant and ridiculous.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Now, I'm not a mod, but considering I got a warning a few days ago for a somewhat innocuous comment, some of you would probably be wise to cool it with the personal insults. I also disagree with the opinion stated by the thread initiator (although I do feel this team is not the best one that could have been chosen - I'll save that discussion for the thread where people are actually debating intelligently) but stuff like this

You are the dumbest sunbeach I've ever seen on this site. No wait, you are the dumbest dude on the entire internet!!!!

Who gives a rat's arce what postal code these guys were born in - they'll be wearing the friccin Maple Leaf!!!

That's all that matters.

You sound like some Euro-whiner.....

offers absolutely nothing useful.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Obviously there is a bias, because all Sutters are biased towards really gritty western Canadian players, but to say you're going to cheer against them, and be happy if they lose, and say this is going to forever split Hockey Canada down the center, thats just stupid.

I don't agree with everything Hart has said, but with the majority of his comments for sure. Team Canada should try to represent Canada, not the WHL, no matter who the coach is.

I'm still going to cheer for Team Canada, and I hope they win, but Sutter and Hockey Canada weren't serious when they were making this team. Sure they will have a good team, but who couldn't put up a good team with the whole Canada ? I honestly think I would have done a much better job than Sutter at making the team.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Brule said:
Oh oops, I forgot the OMJHL lost both games to Russia a couple weeks back. :lol :lol

That Russia player who "SHhhhh"-ed the fans had you good.

Thing is, put forward your best players. Who the hell cares about "representation by population" in hockey.

You probably forgot both Russian best players, Alexander Radulov and Anton Khubodin, were there against the Q and not against the other leagues too.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
flamesfan01800 said:
Porbably would not of made a difference with the way the WHL team played

The WHL would have won for sure, but maybe with scores like 5-3 and not 7-1. But I'm not sure that the OHL would have beat Russia.

Sorry for my english... I mean it's atrocious. Do you say would have beat, or would have beated?

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
markov` said:
The WHL would have won for sure, but maybe with scores like 5-3 and not 7-1. But I'm not sure that the OHL would have beat Russia.

Sorry for my english... I mean it's atrocious. Do you say would have beat, or would have beated?

It would of been closer but I dont think it would of made a difference on who would of won. I agree with you when you say it would of been closer though

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
markov` said:
I don't agree with everything Hart has said, but with the majority of his comments for sure. Team Canada should try to represent Canada, not the WHL, no matter who the coach is.

I'm still going to cheer for Team Canada, and I hope they win, but Sutter and Hockey Canada weren't serious when they were making this team. Sure they will have a good team, but who couldn't put up a good team with the whole Canada ? I honestly think I would have done a much better job than Sutter at making the team.

Ok if you can do a better job then Sutter then lets see it. Hart has been asked multiple times and has not done so, so please give us your team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
I would bet that they weren't Sutter's choice. I think Hockey Canada tried to save their ass by inviting OHL's and QJMHL's best defensemen to the camp.

In order to give Sutter the opportunity to cut them at camp to work on his bias :D

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
flamesfan01800 said:
Or maybe its because they are in the top 10 for Canadian defence for this tourny

Now explain me why Dustin Boyd, Stefan Meyer, Clarke MacArthur, Andrew Ladd and Colin Fraser were invited over Steve Bernier, Dylan Hunter, Alexandre Picard and Marc-Antoine Pouliot... except the fact they are from the WHL.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Meh, whatever. All the haters, just give it a rest. I'm just as miffed that Brule didn't get a camp invite.

But when all is said and done, EVERY HOCKEY FAN IN CANADA (that's obviously Canadian) will be glued to their TV's come tournament time, and will cheer for the team. Don't give me any BS about "going against Canada".

I believe these exact threads were popping up when the World Cup rosters were chosen. "OH MY GAWD! SHANE DOAN? WHEREZ MY KARYIA!!???"

oopS!~, I forgot he scored one of the most important goals in the entire tourney for Canada against Kipprusoff.

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
markov` said:
Now explain me why Dustin Boyd, Stefan Meyer, Clarke MacArthur, Andrew Ladd and Colin Fraser were invited over Steve Bernier, Dylan Hunter, Alexandre Picard and Marc-Antoine Pouliot... except the fact they are from the WHL.

Meyer and MacArthur I think deserve to be there. Ladd not to sure one him right he has had a slow start. But like I said before throw in Picard and Bernier and take out Boyd and Fraser would you still feel the same. Or throw in any two of those forwards for Boyd and Fraser would you still feel the same

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Brule said:
Meh, whatever. All the haters, just give it a rest. I'm just as miffed that Brule didn't get a camp invite.

But when all is said and done, EVERY HOCKEY FAN IN CANADA (that's obviously Canadian) will be glued to their TV's come tournament time, and will cheer for the team. Don't give me any BS about "going against Canada".

I believe these exact threads were popping up when the World Cup rosters were chosen. "OH MY GAWD! SHANE DOAN? WHEREZ MY KARYIA!!???"

oopS!~, I forgot he scored one of the most important goals in the entire tourney for Canada against Kipprusoff.

The link to Doan is perfect and you are right on the mark. Or we could talk about the controversy when Gretzky and the boys picked the Olympic team for Salt Lake. or the World Junior two years ago...or the Canadian Junior Teams 4 years ago...or five years ago...or....

One of my favourite times of the year is when teams are selected and all the arm chair experts blow a gasket and go into cardiac arrest that their personal hobby horses is not selected, or their league is not represented. It is hilarious to hear how the team "should" look.

If you go through all the wannabe's that people want to be on this team, there is not even room for Crosby! Check it out - see who they think should be a lock!

What a farce. For those whining about this team, cheer for Russia or whoever you want...you obviously know nothing about the TEAM game anyway.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
markov` said:

Well lets take a look: MacArthur 28 games 13 G 25 A 38 P +13
Meyer 28 games 17 G 13 A 30 P +15
Ladd- slow start but great season last year and great chemistry with Gezlaf

Now I agree Boyd and Fraser may have been bad selections over the Q guys you mentioned, but as has been stated many times Fraser is Sutter's captain in Red Deer and obviously Sutter thinks he can fill a role if he makes the team which he likely won't. As for Hunter I don't think he skates well enough to even be considered with some of these other guys.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
theredmile said:
Ok if you can do a better job then Sutter then lets see it. Hart has been asked multiple times and has not done so, so please give us your team.

No problems. Let's say I have to invite 32 players to the selection camp.

Forwards

Patrice Bergeron (AHL)
Steve Bernier (QJMHL)
David Bolland (OHL)
Gilbert Brule (WHL)
Jeff Carter (WHL)
Jeremy Colliton (WHL)
Sidney Crosby (QJMHL)
Nigel Dawes (WHL)
Stephen Dixon (QJMHL)
Eric Fehr (WHL)
Ryan Getzlaf (WHL)