Hockey has divided Canada - Canadians Cheering Against Team Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
canada picked the players that they thought would make the best team, they didn't pick guys based on what leagues they were from...just because your favorite players weren't good enough that doesn't mean there was some giant conspiracy. its pretty funny that it can't just be accepted that the whl players were better this year, there isn't a conspiracy against other players...

and as has been asked several times, who should be on the list that isn't?? instead of making overgeneralizations about players from the east and west, please name the guys that were left off that should be on the team and please name the guys that should be removed from the team to make room for them...you can't claim bias against eastern players unless you can provide valid arguements in favor of those players

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
ok, listen.. im from quebec, I speak french and I dont prolly feel the best way about canada as the rest of u guys, but still that guy is a moron. I think that Sutter made a great great selection!

obviously, the goalkeepers in the Q arent as strong as before and we haven't won with french G in years.. maybe its time for a change.

Prolly a couple of names are questionnable and some not.. but that's always the case in every selection. For myself, I would have loved to see Brule there.

but hey.. its WJC, the only hockey we'll prolly see in a while and dear god Team Canada gonna owns!!! that D is incredible! :)

go canada go

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Mountain Dude said:
Regher is actually pretty clutch, he was the #1 defenseman for a team that came within 2 goals of the Stanely Cup, and he's only 25, can you say the same for Pronger, who has had a better team year after year after year?

Calgary plays the clutch and grab type hockey game that only a team like Calgary can play to win. What do you expect? I've watched the playoffs and everytime calgary plays, someone from the other team is being hooked, pushed, cross-checked. There is absolutely no skill involved in Calgary's game.

Its all about containment and skating hard to the net in the hopes of scoring on a loose puck. Thats calgary's game. To compare regher to pronger and blake who get paid well for their skill level isn't even funny.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Testify said:
but hey.. its WJC, the only hockey we'll prolly see in a while and dear god Team Canada gonna owns!!! that D is incredible! :)

God I hope so. It's becomming to much of a Christmas tradition watching Canada blow a commanding lead in the championship game. :banghead:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hart_House_Ca said:
Again, let me reiterate. Its not about team canada but about the selection process and invites that i'm bothered about.

I could careless if all of team canada is from WHL, but to not give the other kids even one day to prove themselves is really not fair.

Thats like saying Randy ferby who won the World curling title why not let him represent Canada again and not play the briar. But thats not the case. Randy ferby has to compete against other canadian teams to represent Canada.

My beef is players from other leagues weren't given the chance. If they were given the chance to just get invited and were cut, do you think most of canada would be upset. no. We would clearly accept the coaches decision.

I know Andy Rogers and Jeff Schultz. I guarantee you that they were left off this camp roster because of "politics" surrounding not inviting other defensemen from other leagues. How do you think they feel?

You are mad at the selection proscess yet seem to overlook that they are building a team, not just a group of all-stars. There are 2 returning scoring lines, 3 other players who are virtual locks. There are only about 3 spots that are even up for contention. This team was pretty much already made BEFORE the camp invitees were made. Sutter knows the players that can fill the last few spots as he needs specialty players. If he was an O coach, these would be O players. It is how it has always worked.

If you say you would be happy if the entire team was from teh WHL, why evens tart this thread? There are still WHL players that deserve to be invited (see Brule). But they didn't either. The questionable invites were all selected to choose a rather specialized position.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Hart_House_Ca said:
Calgary plays the clutch and grab type hockey game that only a team like Calgary can play to win. What do you expect? I've watched the playoffs and everytime calgary plays, someone from the other team is being hooked, pushed, cross-checked. There is absolutely no skill involved in Calgary's game.

Its all about containment and skating hard to the net in the hopes of scoring on a loose puck. Thats calgary's game. To compare regher to pronger and blake who get paid well for their skill level isn't even funny.

Yes you are right, guys like Iginla or Leopold have no skill. :lol: Your a joke of a poster, you have no skill as a human.

Mountain Dude

Hart_House_Ca said:
Calgary plays the clutch and type hockey game that only a team like Calgary can play to win. What do you expect? I've watched the playoffs and everytime calgary plays, someone from the other team is being hooked, pushed, cross-checked. There is absolutely no skill involved in Calgary's game.

So if Pronger is so skilled and such a great defenseman, how come with such a great team he's never even come close to the cup?

And since you know so much, you would of course know that Pronger has a -1 rating this year, Blake had a +6. Do you know what Regher has?

And if you honestly believe that those traits are specific to Calgary, you seriously are smoking something quite strong.

Mountain Dude

Roughneck said:
I know Andy Rogers and Jeff Schultz. I guarantee you that they were left off this camp roster because of "politics" surrounding not inviting other defensemen from other leagues. How do you think they feel?

You are mad at the selection proscess yet seem to overlook that they are building a team, not just a group of all-stars. There are 2 returning scoring lines, 3 other players who are virtual locks. There are only about 3 spots that are even up for contention. This team was pretty much already made BEFORE the camp invitees were made. Sutter knows the players that can fill the last few spots as he needs specialty players. If he was an O coach, these would be O players. It is how it has always worked.

If you say you would be happy if the entire team was from teh WHL, why evens tart this thread? There are still WHL players that deserve to be invited (see Brule). But they didn't either. The questionable invites were all selected to choose a rather specialized position.

He won't understand your arguments, they're above his head. :shakehead

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hart_House_Ca said:
Please pay close attention to my comments. The majority of hockey players are from Eastern Canada...... Thus Hockey Canada should be located where all the players are.

What the hell does this have to do with anything? Take it up with Hockey Canada, not us. We don't care.

Guess what? Hockey Canada's been in Calgary forever - even when the team was loaded with players from Eastern Canada.

Bottom line: the effect of the location on Canada's World Junior team? Zero, and it's astounding to know that you actually care.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Mountain Dude said:
So if Pronger is so skilled and such a great defenseman, how come with such a great team he's never even come close to the cup?

And since you know so much, you would of course know that Pronger has a -1 rating this year, Blake had a +6. Do you know what Regher has?

And if you honestly believe that those traits are specific to Calgary, you seriously are smoking something quite strong.

As you should realize both have been plagued with injury. Please read up.

Pronger isn't good because he hasn't won a cup? I guess ray bourque wasn't any good in all his years in boston. Good logic.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I'm a little irked that there have been oversights and that the WHL was heavily favored (although in reality, a majority of the team should be from the WHL the way they're churning out talent). But when it comes down to it, why would you cheer against a bunch of kids who go across the world (although just to the US this year) during Christmas to make this country proud? It's not their fault Canadian management decided to choose them, but they're all damn proud to be selected and will all do their damnedest to win.

Mountain Dude

Hart_House_Ca said:
As you should realize both have been plagued with injury. Please read up.

Pronger isn't good because he hasn't won a cup? I guess ray bourque wasn't any good in all his years in boston. Good logic.

Boston rarely ever had a decent team, they maybe had 1 or 2 guys including Borque. St. Louis is always loaded with talent, young and old. If Pronger truly is the god you think he is, he would at least have come close to a cup at this point.

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
Also if Bernier and say Picard where put onto this team say for Boyd and Fraser. Would you still feel the same way? And also I wanna hear your roster as well just in case you missed it the first four times it has been said

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
You guys are all laughing at Hart_House_Ca for expressing his feelings... why isn't anyone laughing at Moutain Dude, who thinks Regehr is better than Pronger?

I mean... Robyn Regehr... better... than... Chris Pronger.
:lol: :lol:

Mountain Dude

markov` said:
You guys are all laughing at Hart_House_Ca for expressing his feelings... why isn't anyone laughing at Moutain Dude, who thinks Regehr is better than Pronger?

I never said he was better, I just said Regher is a solid defenseman.

Mountain Dude

markov` said:
The guy asked you to name better defensemen then Chris Pronger and Rob Blake. You replied Robyn Regehr.

Check my edit if that makes a difference.

I think he actually named Regher saying that Regher isn't even in the same caliber as Pronger, when in actual fact Regher is going to be a really really good defenseman.

EDIT:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
Name two defensemen better than Rob Blake and Chris Pronger?

And dont' say Regehr? lmfao

Regher is actually pretty clutch, he was the #1 defenseman for a team that came within 2 goals of the Stanely Cup, and he's only 25, can you say the same for Pronger, who has had a better team year after year after year?"

I think Pronger and Blake are overated anyways. :dunno:

Cain

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
markov` said:

Because I don't think that he has directly come out and said that Regehr is better...and could be excused for homerism if he did.

Hart on the other hand has a whole lot more going than just homerism. Ignorance, and other words that describe that condition a lot less politely.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Hart_House_Ca said:
I can't say I will be cheering for fully for team Canada. But I will have a huge smile on my face if Team Canada does lose.

You are the dumbest sunbeach I've ever seen on this site. No wait, you are the dumbest dude on the entire internet!!!!

Who gives a rat's arce what postal code these guys were born in - they'll be wearing the friccin Maple Leaf!!! That's all that matters.

You sound like some Euro-whiner......

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, the WHL defensemen are absolutely fantastic and I'm glad to have them in Team Canada. But I think Sutter should have done more scouting to fill the last spots. Why do you think he invited only 32 players ? In my honest opinion, it is unacceptable. He invited the players that were there last year, and filled the rest of the team with WHL players.

I don't care if you're from Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto or Kuujuuaq. But any hockey fan who doesn't see a slight bias in this team doesn't know anything about hockey. Really.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Hey Hart_House_Ca...........don't get so pisst. You should be thankful SOME QMJHL and OHL players were chosen. Fact is, Brule should probably have gone even ahead of some QMJHL and OHL guys (And not biased at all, look at most people's thoughts on that issue) like Stephen Dixon.

This is like saying Olympic Team Canada should be equally represented by all NHL clubs. Woohoo, Wez Walz ahead of Joe Sakic!

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Check my edit if that makes a difference.

I think he actually named Regher saying that Regher isn't even in the same caliber as Pronger, when in actual fact Regher is going to be a really really good defenseman.

Regehr isn't even in the same caliber as Pronger. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->