Hockey hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Habsfunk said:
How in the hell are people not voting for Mike Gartner? The guy scored over 700 goals! What does he have to do to be considered HoF worthy by the 21 of you who didn't vote for him?

I went with Gartner and Hawerchuk.

Gartner had some very good seasons no doubt and his longevity and productiveness are his arguments for being in the Hall. For me though I have to look at a guy and think he among the top two or three players at his position for a period of 4 to 5 years to be worthy to stand alongside the greats. You could never say that about Gartner. Top ten absolutely, but not top three.

Hawerchuk, you could arguably say that behind Gretzky and maybe Savard or Stastny, that he was right there for a few years. Can you throw Gartner up there with Bossy or Kurri? In my opinion no.

I honestly think that the HHOF is way too easy to get into and have long thought it should really stiffen the criteria. You aren't the first to accuse me of being too tough and I'm sure you won't be the last.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Ducky, and (barely) Gartner. That's it, end of discussion. NO Cam Neely, no Kevin Lowe. They were never among the very best to play the game for ANY stretch of time, let alone as all-time greats. Hawerchuk was one of the top 4 players of the 1980's and early 90's, scored over 500 goals (even though he played on some TERRIBLE teams in Winnipeg and Buffalo and Philly :D ), and was a total class act his whole career.
Neilson can MAYBE get in as "builder" in a few years, but over-all his coaching record was not good. He had a LOSING record, actually. He was a great innovator, though, and for that he deserves consideration. And if he makes it, I won't be upset. Far less worthy people are in there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->