Post-Game Talk: Hockey Game 1 of 10 - 7:00ish ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
It was rather low impact in terms of hatred between the two teams battling for the division lead and beyond that largely uneventful. The goaltenders were good but aside from a few moments neither had to be all that great. It was mostly a defensive battle. NYI are so much more dangerous in transition, though. I pine for the days when the Caps had more of that element in them at will.

Raffl had a solid debut. He's always going to bring solid energy and he turns the third-line more of a territorial line. I do wonder if there's any production in him and, if not, whether mucking/checking is enough. The bottom two lines work hard but beyond maybe some ugly ones now and then I don't know if they'll produce much. I'm sure they'll like how they won tonight and how Samsonov was able to hold the fort. That said, more pace and crisp passing are a must.
FWIW, Raffl had four goals and five points in nine playoff games for Philly last season. I think his style of game translates well to the playoffs and especially against a team like the Islanders.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
FWIW, Raffl had four goals and five points in nine playoff games for Philly last season. I think his style of game translates well to the playoffs and especially against a team like the Islanders.
Yeah. Maybe. He did show off some nice touch at times but I'm not sure I expect him to shoot near 30% again. His prior 19 playoff games weren't productive. Largely having to rely on Sheary aka Poor Man's Marchand to carry the bottom six may be trouble. Raffl brings some good things but we'll see. I'm not sure it's enough depth but that largely hinges on their collective discipline and execution anyway. This game was a good first step in tightening up down the stretch. It wasn't perfect. Samsonov kept them in it. But it's a game coaches from both sides will like, even if it wasn't a classic.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
The Islanders are a terrible team? When the night started they had the exact same record as us. Does that make us terrible too.
I don't think you understand the concept of team.
They've won 5 out of the last 18 in regulation.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Tough crowd.. I thought it was pretty entertaining hockey game for a 0-0 score.

Most boring part of the game was the OT, and SO was the good second.

Is our goalies not abysmal today? Do we have super structured defense now? Or does the strawman conclusions only apply when we lose..

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It doesn't feel like a W because of Ovi's injury.

20 seconds shift. Can't push on his right leg after.
The only postive thing is that he stayed on the bench even if I think it was just for the morale of the team.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Too lazy to go through all the pages on the thread, but it's a good sign when a dman is not mentioned, in this case TVR. Thought the TVR/Dillon combo looked decent.

Also agreed with the Rafl comments, he looked like a nice fit on the third line.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It doesn't feel like a W because of Ovi's injury.

20 seconds shift. Can't push on his right leg after.
The only postive thing is that he stayed on the bench even if I think it was just for the morale of the team.

Do we know exactly where it happened? I'm trying to recall what I can of Ovie in the 3rd and can't bring up anything.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Pretty good game after the first 7 minutes, nice to see that they can hang playing a playoff-style low scoring game. Isles had 11 shots for the last 40 + OT
3rd line w/Raffl looked good, thought they would've potted 1 or 2, esp. the back door slam dunk from Frankie Valli

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Is it possible Ovechkin didn't play in OT bc he's a turret and sometimes a defensive liability?

Anyways, if they can get effort like that from Samsonov every night, I give them 50/50 odds against any team in our division.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Raffl is a nice insurance piece. I think if we know our team and the reputation we have, it’s hard to see any deep runs without someone like Hathaway or Wilson at least getting a suspension. I think Sprong should always be our 1A but Raffl is a great piece to prevent us from having to throw a Hershey guy to the wolves

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Is it possible Ovechkin didn't play in OT bc he's a turret and sometimes a defensive liability?

Anyways, if they can get effort like that from Samsonov every night, I give them 50/50 odds against any team in our division.
I think Lavi implied that he was hurt, he said post game he didn’t know why yet just that Ov was unavailable

Jun 15, 2007
I don't like that it's between Sprong and Raffl. Hathaway should sit for Raffl.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

So if Sammy shuts out the opposition for 65 minutes every night, you expect we can win half the series? Tough crowd :D

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't like that it's between Sprong and Raffl. Hathaway should sit for Raffl.

I think there is zero chance Hath gets nacho duty. Lavi has benched Vrana, Panik, Sheary, Sprong in the past, but not Hath. Hath brings max effort on every shift. His talent makes him a 4th liner, but his motor makes him a must start.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Raffl is more suited for a playoff type game.
So I suppose if Caps play against Boston/Isles they will use Raffl.
Against Pens you need someone to shoot and score, so Sprong.

I would feel more comfortable with Sprong in for the Isles than the Pens. We might need that extra firepower against a tight checking team/clutch and grab team like the Isles that aren't as offensively potent and speedy as the Pens who can easily take advantage of Sprong's weaknesses.

Potential matchups

Islanders = Sprong
Penguins = Raffl

Bruins = maybe a mix of both and decide based on how the series goes

Reactions: koalabear9301

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do we know exactly where it happened? I'm trying to recall what I can of Ovie in the 3rd and can't bring up anything.

Ov blasted out his zone carrying the puck. He suddenly quit skating about the redline, pushed the puck forward and peeled off for the bench coasting on one leg. He didnt act hurt as much as he looked like the whistle blew. Muscle injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad