Hockey Flex question

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
So I have a few 1 piece sticks. one has a 100 flex shaft and the other has an 85 flex.

My problem is when I take a slapshot with the 85 flex it feels like the stick is like a wet noodle. Feels like I break the stick. Half of my shots I check the stick after I take a slapper to see if its still in one piece. Doesnt happen with the 100 flex.

I should add that I am 6' and 175lbs.

Now I can only come up with 2 reasons why this is happening. I am not making proper contact with the ice/puck or the stick has too much flex.

But what I dont understand is some NHLers who obviously have more power than myself use 85 flex sticks and sometimes lower and could shoot the puck probably much harder than myself.

Isnt the whole concept to use the highest flex stick you can get the most out of without losing any power because of the flex?

Thanks in advance.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
If you are more comfortable with the 100 flex then stick with that. I think it's more about finding the right amount of flex for you.

If the number is too low for you then it'll be to whippy and you won't be able to get all the possible power into it. If the number is too high then you won't be able to flex the stick on a shot and you won't get any kick.

Depends on a bunch of factors: size, strength, technique, etc.

I normally use an 80 flex. A guy on the same team broke his stick and tried mine, he felt like he was gonna snap it. Usually he's 100/105. We're physically about the same size, but he's played alot longer than I have.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Technique is the main factor too.

I am 5'8/9, and weight about 175lbs. I can shoot fine with on 85 (cut down mind you) with wrist shots/snap shots. I also have a 77 flex, and an 82 flex (pro stock) which I can shoot fine with also.

The type of shaft will factor into this as well. Is it a tapered shaft or standard? Different feel, different area of flex, etc.

As you said - different players shoot differently. A guy like Ovechkin is 6'2", 233 lbs - yet he shoots hard and uses a 77 flex I believe, yet Ryan Ellis (Windsor Spitfires - Nashville prospect) shoots rockets with 100 or 110 flex stick, yet he is only 5'10", maybe 180lbs.

Also - are you using price point sticks, or high end ones? This will play a factor also I would assume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad