Hockey fights - Tradition, Amusement, Deterrent, or Pure Evil? Discuss

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Controversial Opinion? If you only watch NHL hockey, you're not a hockey fan. You're an NHL fan.

Doubly so if, in addition to never watching minor/international/college/junior/women's hockey, you actively disparage those leagues.

Its disparaging to point out their audience is small? I didn't say I never have watched NCAA or International hockey and I certainly have watched the women. I haven't seen a college game this year. They are not generally available to me. I am not unusual in that regard.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just want to add that while I still don't like fighting, if the Foegele hit goes unpunished by the league then I will become highly sympathetic to the argument that the players have to police themselves because the league isn't interested in doing it.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I do think its a bit ironic that after our fighting / face shield discussion, knockedoutnikov was skating with a full cage at practice.

He should tape a little white surrender flag to the top of his helmet

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just want to add that while I still don't like fighting, if the Foegele hit goes unpunished by the league then I will become highly sympathetic to the argument that the players have to police themselves because the league isn't interested in doing it.
Aaaand done. No supplemental discipline for Foegele. Willy needs to pound him into next week.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Aaaand done. No supplemental discipline for Foegele. Willy needs to pound him into next week.

There have been no attempts by Willy to fight since his pinky knocked out Cernak's toof. I theorize the broken pinky story that was retracted, may not have been so randomly made up. Who would make up such a lame story? If it's broken, it's presumed in a cast. If it's in a cast, we won't see him fight for ~5 weeks. If we don't see him even challenge to fight despite many guys that need a good pounding, maybe he did break a finger.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There have been no attempts by Willy to fight since his pinky knocked out Cernak's toof. I theorize the broken pinky story that was retracted, may not have been so randomly made up. Who would make up such a lame story? If it's broken, it's presumed in a cast. If it's in a cast, we won't see him fight for ~5 weeks. If we don't see him even challenge to fight despite many guys that need a good pounding, maybe he did break a finger.

Did you get your MD at the Sierra Leone School of Medicine like Tex? ;)

I think they all know the NHL is just waiting to punish Wilson for a possible retaliation and they’re not feeding into it. Beat them on the scoreboard and get a pound of flesh next season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Saint Copious of Northern.... Texas

cfk-1-11.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think they all know the NHL is just waiting to punish Wilson for a possible retaliation and they’re not feeding into it. Beat them on the scoreboard and get a pound of flesh next season.

Wilson had a fight in the playoffs last season? One? I don't think Willy wants to fight in the playoffs at all unless necessary. If the Caps win another game this season, I would expect that Martin, Czizukus and Clutterbuck will be cruising for some action

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I just realized the mandated jersey tie down makes grabbing the back of a jersey collar a great starting point for pummeling an opponent. In the pre tie down past that jersey would come over the head. While the league may not like that, more often than not, the jersey would come fully over the head, and the player would be free and better able to defend themselves.

Svechnikov had no where to run once Ovi grabbed him by the back of collar. He couldn't even drop down to bail out, Ovi could just hold him up like a mannequin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->