Luke DeCock: Hockey Diplomacy was Tripp Tracey's only hope to save Brother

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/01/3246273/decock-hockey-diplomacy-was-his.html

The sense of helplessness was overwhelming. Tripp Tracy’s younger brother had been arrested and imprisoned in Venezuela, accused of espionage. The Carolina Hurricanes television analyst and his family were scrambling to figure out what to do next.

Grasping at any thread of hope, Tracy mined his hockey connections. It was only through a quirk of the schedule the Hurricanes flew to Pittsburgh the next day for the final game of the 2012-13 season. There, he saw his old college teammate, Penguins forward Craig Adams, whose father-in-law was the one man Tracy thought might be able to help: Paul Cellucci, the former governor of Massachusetts and U.S. ambassador to Canada.

Cellucci would have the back-channel access to lay a path for Tim’s release. He was also in the final, fatal stages of ALS, Lou Gehrig’s Disease. Cellucci could only communicate through staccato emails, painstakingly dictated through a computer program or with the help of his wife, but his mind was as sharp as ever even as his body withered.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/01/3246273/decock-hockey-diplomacy-was-his.html#storylink=cpy

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't understand the problem either? I thought it was pretty damn interesting.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I thought it was an interesting story. I liked it much better than most of his sports crap.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
I typically don't care for his junk, but this was my first time hearing about any of this so I also enjoyed it.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I read through it quickly. what's the issue you have with it?

The third paragraph initially lead me to believe it was Tripp's brother that had ALS.* It just feels like it wasn't proofread. In retrospect it seems much clearer now but going into the story without any knowledge of the situation I was overwhelmed by the influx of info. Sure I was confused, but the writing certainly didn't make things any easier.

Sorry for being so brash and not explaining myself.

*obviously this is a thought i corrected after getting deeper into the article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad