GDT: Hockey Day in Canada! Canucks @ Flames [8:00pm, CBC]

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The thing that bothered me on the Canucks' second goal was what Giordano did. Brodie made a hell of an effort and managed to catch Higgins. I feel like Gio should've just stayed with Vey and he would've been in position to clean up that rebound.

And that's not just hindsight. In real time I was like "oh nice, Brodie made it a 2-on-2, we're safe." Then I was like "noooooo, Gio!" Then I was like "ah, it's all good, he's shooting a weak shot, Ramo's got this." Then it was like "wat." Then I was like "I told you so, Gio."

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Great game. fun high pace action.

Have to keep this rolling because the Wild are fogging up the Flames glasses with how close they are. The Bruins are up next; and we have to get on them early and often.

That top line looked great; they mostly held the action in the oppositions end and created chances all night long.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Great game. fun high pace action.

Have to keep this rolling because the Wild are fogging up the Flames glasses with how close they are. The Bruins are up next; and we have to get on them early and often.

That top line looked great; they mostly held the action in the oppositions end and created chances all night long.

It's true. Keep in mind, though, that the Flames are gaining steadily on Vancouver over time (we were even with them having 3 games in hand, and now it's 1 game in hand). Also we have a slight advantage over San Jose. The Wild have closed on all of the teams, not just us.

Regardless, it's tough how the OOT isn't giving us any breaks ever. Losing sucks and winning is a very small victory.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's true. Keep in mind, though, that the Flames are gaining steadily on Vancouver over time (we were even with them having 3 games in hand, and now it's 1 game in hand). Also we have a slight advantage over San Jose. The Wild have closed on all of the teams, not just us.

Regardless, it's tough how the OOT isn't giving us any breaks ever. Losing sucks and winning is a very small victory.

Yeah; winning is letting us keep pace here. The Wild will cool down eventually; I'm certain of it... there's no way they're never going to lose a game in regulation again this season.

The big problem is our division is talented; there's a lot of BS posters on the main forum that think the Pacific is a joke... honestly, outside of the Central, the top 5 teams in the Pacific would be top 3 teams in any other division. A couple games lost here could signify the end of the season (I know it's early, but we ALL know the Kings, Sharks and Canucks can win some hockey games... you're talking about a two-time SC winner and perennial +100 point teams in the past half-decade). I'm glad we have this problem this year; looking over our shoulders at who's behind us; if we could get a strangle hold on that 2nd spot in the conference... that'd be awesome.

I can't see Vancouver holding on though. That team is ridiculously thin throughout that lineup; and gets little to no run support from it's defence. When Miller isn't playing great, they don't win.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah; winning is letting us keep pace here. The Wild will cool down eventually; I'm certain of it... there's no way they're never going to lose a game in regulation again this season.

The big problem is our division is talented; there's a lot of BS posters on the main forum that think the Pacific is a joke... honestly, outside of the Central, the top 5 teams in the Pacific would be top 3 teams in any other division. A couple games lost here could signify the end of the season (I know it's early, but we ALL know the Kings, Sharks and Canucks can win some hockey games... you're talking about a two-time SC winner and perennial +100 point teams in the past half-decade). I'm glad we have this problem this year; looking over our shoulders at who's behind us; if we could get a strangle hold on that 2nd spot in the conference... that'd be awesome.

I can't see Vancouver holding on though. That team is ridiculously thin throughout that lineup; and gets little to no run support from it's defence. When Miller isn't playing great, they don't win.

All well put. I agree with you about Vancouver. They don't look likely to hold on. And if Edler is out for any significant length of time it's going to be really tough for them. I also think San Jose is destined to fall out. They have not been convincing all season and they haven't ever really hit a good groove and kept it going. If we can be as dominant against them as we have been, any team should be able to beat them on any given night. And LA have perhaps the toughest schedule of anyone to finish out the season.

Hold on to your hats, folks.

From a purely Flames perspective, our schedule is tough over the next few games, but thankfully only the Minnesota game will be against a team we're competing with. The wishful part of me hopes the Eastern teams don't really care as much as we do at this point (though Boston is going to be pretty desperate).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Volica is dropping some serious knowledge on the main board tonight. Deserves recognition. :handclap:

Doing my part :laugh:

It's been really pathetic watching everyone try and find reasons, or try to rain on the parade; it's like a bunch of children trying to find any reason... even if they don't know a thing about what they're talking about. It seems it's mostly Leaf fans, some other Canadian team fans, but most sheep that just keep regurgitating the same thing over and over.

"It's unsustainable."
"Why?"
"It's like the Avs from last year."
"Well, we're nothing like the Avs; like in any facet of our game."
"It's advanced stats"
"Do you even watch the games? Do you know what our play-style is? You know this team doesn't even know what a cycle game is right? Or that we block a ridiculous amount of shots and have one of the top 10 lowest shots against in the league?"
"You guys are just bad, and next year you'll suck, LOLZSZZ!... Also, even though my team is horrible, they'll be better than yours in a few years!"
":dunno:"

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Doing my part :laugh:

It's been really pathetic watching everyone try and find reasons, or try to rain on the parade; it's like a bunch of children trying to find any reason... even if they don't know a thing about what they're talking about. It seems it's mostly Leaf fans, some other Canadian team fans, but most sheep that just keep regurgitating the same thing over and over.

"It's unsustainable."
"Why?"
"It's like the Avs from last year."
"Well, we're nothing like the Avs; like in any facet of our game."
"It's advanced stats"
"Do you even watch the games? Do you know what our play-style is? You know this team doesn't even know what a cycle game is right? Or that we block a ridiculous amount of shots and have one of the top 10 lowest shots against in the league?"
"You guys are just bad, and next year you'll suck, LOLZSZZ!... Also, even though my team is horrible, they'll be better than yours in a few years!"
":dunno:"

Yeah man. And you aren't able to point out that advanced stats has limitations because that's just your bias talking. And if you talk about why your team might have an above average PDO based on how they play then you're "just like Avs/Leafs fans." Even though, as you correctly pointed out, the way they did it is noticeably and demonstrably different than the way we did it.

Realistically, we might as well say "the Hawks have red home jerseys and so do we. We're just like the Hawks."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah man. And you aren't able to point out that advanced stats has limitations because that's just your bias talking. And if you talk about why your team might have an above average PDO based on how they play then you're "just like Avs/Leafs fans." Even though, as you correctly pointed out, the way they did it is noticeably and demonstrably different than the way we did it.

Realistically, we might as well say "the Hawks have red home jerseys and so do we. We're just like the Hawks."
I just posted a long post in that thread about legit concerns we should have because of the numbers of guys having career type years. Between that and how fickle developing young players can be we cannot get too comfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad