GDT: Hockey Day in Canada against the Canucks but we play at 8PM

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Neal isn't that peculiar of a choice if you look at the numbers. Over the last 3 years only 3 current Flames have scored in the shootout; Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau & Neal. Before this game, both Gaudreau & Neal were 1 for 7 and Gaudreau missed on a breakaway earlier in the night.
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean. Looked like Gaudreau had about 10 chances last night but the puck wasn't going in for him at all so I don't blame Peters for not looking to him in the shootout. Who knows, if Neal scores then maybe that's the boost he needs to get back on track? Like I said, it was an interesting choice but I don't hate it. Kinda hope if things come down to shootouts more down the stretch that Peters goes to some other unorthodox picks (Frolik, Jankowski, etc)

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Just watching the highlights this morning. Looks like we were all over them for much of the game. What's up with Rittich? That Leivo goal was uncharacteristic for him. I'm sure he'll work through whatever he's dealing with though. Likewise with the rest of the team - they can't continue playing like this and not start picking up wins again. It's unpossible.

Neal was a... peculiar choice in the shootout, but I can't say I wouldn't have gone to him myself at some point. Flames are hopeless in shootouts so might as well try something other than the usual Monahan/Gaudreau/Tkachuk that never works.
It wasn’t a great goal to give up that’s for sure, but other than that his game was good, so I just warn us fans not to blow it out of proportion because last game is still in our heads. I’m sure he’ll be fine too.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
There are so many bandwagon jumpers jumping on and off the wagon game by game. No single game or even collection of 5 games will determine how the season will finish out.

The Flames had one of the weirdest schedules coming off their break. First of all it was 9 days long and everyone expected a little rust against Washington and were in the game until the last minute. Some better officiating in that game and Calgary walks away with an easy W. Finally a little back in the groove the Flames play and beat the Hurricanes in a game they maybe should not have won but RIttich played a solid game and the D kept the shots to the outside.

Then the Flames get 4 days off so the rust can set back in.

Against San Jose the boys came out hard taking the game to the Sharks for the first half of the first period... and then Rittich gave up a goal he would like to have back. Less than a minute later Rittich rushes out of the net and makes a bad decision and it is 2-0. Now if this was Smith this board would have collectively melted as it did 1:30 seconds later on a redirection that would have been difficult for any goalie. That chink in Rittich's armor really rattled the team and took a large part of the fight of out of the team. It was like watching two different teams and after that point the only line that looked somewhat consistently dangerous was Jankowski Bennett and Neal.

The Vancouver game was all about 1 player.... Jacob Markstrom. Out shot 47-25 he is the only reason Vancouver won this game. Backlund's, Jankowski, and for a large part of the night Ryan's lines feasted on Vancouver and its turnovers. And then the Jumpers start pulling the Chicken Little Routine - The Sky is Falling--- The Sky is Falling ... Guess what it isn't and I am really looking forward to the showdown in Tampa and I suspect another good showing by the Flames.

BSD may be struggling right now but the game is about the other 18 Flames that will be on the ice too. Since the break nobody has looked at the positives of how good the third and fourth lines have been. In Vancouver Backlund's line looked like it was back ... This team is scary deep and we are about to see how deep here very soon. pfft 2 losses whatever look at the progression of the teams play since the break. Hockey is not just about the goalie.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->