GDT: Hockey Day in Canada against the Canucks but we play at 8PM

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You think so? Why do ALL our guys go low? Seriously, you don't think they practice a specific way? Probably because smith has a 5 hole the size of the ****ing ocean and they think it works. ****ing elevate!!!!!

And stop putting Neal in!!! The guy can't shoot! Ffs!

No. They don’t tell people where to shoot. I can guarantee that. The most guys will get is some stat from upstairs telling them what his shootout numbers are like and where he’s normally beat.

Guys make their decision on what they’re doing once the coach taps them or if they see something.

Take the point, know 9/10 nights you win this game and move forward, you have a big game next to see if you actually have some weight.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Wonder how it feels to have a hot goalie...must be pretty good

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Rittich's ranks amongst goalies (minimum 5GP) his last 10 games prior to tonight:

- .900 save percentage (27th)
- 3.13 GAA (29th)
- -2.23 GSAA (29th)
- 31.34 Avg Goal Distance (46th)

5v5 numbers are still pretty good (11th-13th range) but all situations he needs to be better.

After tonight, Rittich is now down to a .898 save percentage over his last 11 games.

Not good enough.

Flames keep running into hot goaltenders while our goalies provide below average performances.

Reactions: Boomstick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No. They don’t tell people where to shoot. I can guarantee that. The most guys will get is some stat from upstairs telling them what his shootout numbers are like and where he’s normally beat.

Guys make their decision on what they’re doing once the coach taps them or if they see something.

Take the point, know 9/10 nights you win this game and move forward, you have a big game next to see if you actually have some weight.

So why is every guy going down low or five hole? Seriously, virtually every shot is low and it's an easy save.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I really hope we don't run into these guys in the playoffs, Markstrom just plays like a ****ing stud against us all the time it seems.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I still have faith in Big Save Dave. He'll get it back.

Having said that if I watch another season lost to poor goaltending I may take up watching tennis.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Rittich's ranks amongst goalies (minimum 5GP) his last 10 games prior to tonight:

- 3.13 GAA (29th)
- -2.23 GSAA (29th)

5v5 numbers are still pretty good (11th-13th range) but all situations he needs to be better.

After tonight, Rittich is now down to a .898 save percentage over his last 11 games.

Not good enough.

Flames keep running into hot goaltenders while our goalies provide below average performances.

VERY telling numbers. really starting to show Rittich isn't quite the savior some thought he was.... he's starting to show signs of what happened last season...if it continues, i'm VERY worried

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

- 3.13 GAA (29th)
- -2.23 GSAA (29th)

Not good enough.

If Rittich is in a slump, it's a slump where he is still able to take every game to 1 or 2 points with big saves. And when he heats up again we'll have his haters talking about a hot streak.

All goalies have ups and downs, except Smith and Gillies who lack an up.

You can cherry pick a down stretch from every starter. Even Price or Holtby or Quick. Heck Gibson went from Vezina discussion to... not.

Reactions: tmurfin

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
1-3 against the Canucks this year.
Brutal.

meh
1 loss in opening night where the Flames ALWAYS lose, and the other 2 went to extra time, where the Flames probably deserved better. Doesn't help being horrible at the SO. The game we won, potting 7 goals, is how tonight should've gone too, but Markstrom had another great game.

Reactions: Boomstick

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
If Rittich is in a slump, it's a slump where he is still able to take every game to 1 or 2 points with big saves.

All goalies have ups and downs, except Smith and Gillies who lack an up.

Except with Rittich it's more worrying because this is what happened when he took the reigns as the #1 last season.

Handling it much better this season obviously but for him to be struggling the way he has gives fans a reason to be worried

Reactions: GAMO1992

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yeah and come in with speed, make the goalie back up and have to worry about a deke, but Nah, we come in 2 mph and take lazy ass shots into goalie equipment.

Yup, and it isn't working. I guarantee that five hole slide in is because they beat smith in that position in practice so often. Hint hint, most goalies can stop you when you come at a snale pace and shoot into padding.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Markstrom played great, so did the boys but in all honesty, we didn’t make it real difficult for him. The team just looks a little out of sync. Even with our high danger chances, either the angle was off, we shot it right at him or just didn’t get good wood at all. Reality is, we played good enough to win and the second goal shouldn’t have gone in. Rittich played alright, overall, but one bad goal costs us a point.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Except with Rittich it's more worrying because this is what happened when he took the reigns as the #1 last season.

Handling it much better this season obviously but for him to be struggling the way he has gives fans a reason to be worried

Not really worried personally. Goalies WILL slump and rittich's slump didn't even cost us a regulation loss.

You gotta let goalies play through slumps. Last year the biggest problem was that we were too reticent to just ride Rittich through a slump and panicked by putting Gillies and Smith in AFTER Rittich had two dominating wins.

I am more worried about defensive zone play personally. The Dmen have been fine but certain forwards are back to playing as they did in October defensively and need a kick in the rear.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Rittich’s “slump” is still worlds better than Smith/Hiller/Elliot slumps. Where they’d just let in absolutely back breaking weak goals. Some of this Hiller and Elliot playoff performances make me nauseous when I recall that gut wrenching feeling. I have faith in Big D Dave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad