Hockey Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Bar Down should work with the NHL and a hockey card company to make a full set of their funny cards, with the proceeds going to charity to help fund youth hockey programs in poor communities.

I guarantee a full 100 card set would sell for $200 USD if there were a limited edition of only 2,500 sets made. That would be a total of $600,000 raised.

Then, there could be (10) Platinum sets made for $2,500 each ($25,000 raised)

(50) Gold sets made for $800 ($40,000) and (100) Silver sets made for $500 ($50,000 raised)

These sets could raise $715,000 for youth hockey programs.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Quite the variance of prices. I possess 3 o-pee-chee cards. I would say one is not in the greatest condition. Wasn't smart of me to play flip the cards with it. Boys will be boys.

But 2 are very similar to this one. Maybe just a tad lesser quality as I put them in a card album only about 15 years ago when they were previously in a shoe box.

1979 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Wayne Gretzky ROOKIE RC #18 PSA 5 EX (PWCC-PQ) | eBay

Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card | eBay
I'd send them to PSA for grading. That's the only way you'll get more than $500 or so each for them.

Also never send pre 1985 opc cards to Beckett for grading.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Curious about this, what's the reason?

The whole grading thing to me is just ridiculous but people seem to want it done.
OPC used to use a wire to cut the cards from the sheet. The cards came out with frayed edges. Beckett grades down for the frayed edges. PSA takes them into account.

Reactions: Deuce Awesome

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Quite the variance of prices. I possess 3 o-pee-chee cards. I would say one is not in the greatest condition. Wasn't smart of me to play flip the cards with it. Boys will be boys.

Whats ironic about the whole thing is that when OPC cut the cards, the razor line would get dull, which gave us the sort of perforated sides that we are all so used to. So a "mint" one is rare as hell. I don't even know how many would have been made right at the factory.

Now you have all these "mint" reprints out there. I bought one for a laugh and you literally cannot tell the difference, other than its picture perfect appearance wise.

How do the graders know which is which?

I think my favorite cards out of my collection are a bunch of 54-55 Topps hockey, the first year Topps made hockey cards. They are offcut so badly that you can see the next players name at the one side of the card. Like I would say 30% of the card is a different card.

Last edited:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
OPC used to use a wire to cut the cards from the sheet. The cards came out with frayed edges. Beckett grades down for the frayed edges. PSA takes them into account.

awesome I just touched on this very thing in my post as you posted this!

Cheers!

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I wish Upper Deck would consolidate their offering and get rid of some of the garbage sets they make. Obviously not touching on core sets like series 1.... It seems like future watch rookies and SPA were such a bedrock if you were collecting a new player as a hobbyist you'd grab that and the old SPX jersey auto rookie (why did they drop that) and maybe a patch rookie from something higher end like premier/ultimate or the cup and no one except card shops and hardcores paid attention to all the sets with black in their name or trilogy or the other ones that are even less memorable. Artifacts has a place as the first hobby set I guess but it seems like so many releases come out now and I'm just like... why. Devalues the good ones when there are like 15 different rookie cards. Such a convoluted marketplace that reeks of cash grab.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I wish Upper Deck would consolidate their offering and get rid of some of the garbage sets they make. Obviously not touching on core sets like series 1.... It seems like future watch rookies and SPA were such a bedrock if you were collecting a new player as a hobbyist you'd grab that and the old SPX jersey auto rookie (why did they drop that) and maybe a patch rookie from something higher end like premier/ultimate or the cup and no one except card shops and hardcores paid attention to all the sets with black in their name or trilogy or the other ones that are even less memorable. Artifacts has a place as the first hobby set I guess but it seems like so many releases come out now and I'm just like... why. Devalues the good ones when there are like 15 different rookie cards. Such a convoluted marketplace that reeks of cash grab.

Couldn't agree more. It'd be so much better with multiple companies and each company limited to a certain number of sets.

UD also seems to be making the sets more generic. Trilogy isn't any different than Artifacts anymore.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
They need to payoff that exclusive deal somehow, and making a crap load of cards is the only way they can do it. I moved away from modern because it became so redundant. I mean how many autos/mem cards do you really need from one player?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just got the results of my massive (for me anyways) BGS submission...after 10 months that is. I was more liberal with the cards I submitted than normal. Of the 70 I submitted 58 came back 9.5 or higher.

Pretty happy, as all the big YGs I submitted were all 9.5: 3 McDavids and 3 Matthews. Also 4 Marners, 5 Gaudreaus, 8 Tkachuks, 3 Points, 1 Eichel...bunch of other stuff too. It's being shipped. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Not selling. Could be open to trades for other higher end YGs I don't already have: Crosby, Ovechkin, Subban, Burns, Seguin, Toews, Zetterberg, Datsyuk.

Reactions: Mitts888

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So any good pulls from Series 2?

Only bought one box. Nothing special, did get Mittelstadt young gun who I kind of wanted.

One thing is for sure with these young guns, I sure spend time trying to figure out who they are most the time. Matt Luff YG canvas. Know who he is at least now

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
So any good pulls from Series 2?

Only bought one box. Nothing special, did get Mittelstadt young gun who I kind of wanted.

One thing is for sure with these young guns, I sure spend time trying to figure out who they are most the time. Matt Luff YG canvas. Know who he is at least now
Matt Luff is producing well.

Should be in the NHL full-time next year. Expect him to be a 20 goal scorer.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Kicking myself for not selling my Rasmus Dahlin Tim Hortons rookie card in October when they were selling at $300.00+

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I collect cards of players on teams where they weren't on the team long. Some of my favorites that own:

-Pronger on the Whalers
-Shanahan on the Whalers
-Gretzky on the Blues
-Doan on the Jets (he always was, but you know...)
-Selanne on the Avalanche
-Kurri on the Rangers
-Forsberg on the Predators (the other Forsberg)

If a Pascal Dupuis Rangers card existed, I would buy that shit yesterday. He only played 6 games here, so it's the ultimate obscure card. Sadly, none were ever printed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His potential is higher than Luff's forsure.

I believe LA has 4 rookie cards in series 2 right?

I'd rank them 1. JAD 2. Luff 3. Peterson 4. Rempal.
I'm a little shocked Caleb Jones hasn't made it yet for us. Cooper Marody and Ethan Bear were the two additions to series 2 for us.

I guess Jones didn't come up for us until mid-december though

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Kicking myself for not selling my Rasmus Dahlin Tim Hortons rookie card in October when they were selling at $300.00+

I couldn't think that Tim Horton's cards would be worth anything? $300? That's pretty impressive for a Tim Horton's hockey card.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'm a little shocked Caleb Jones hasn't made it yet for us. Cooper Marody and Ethan Bear were the two additions to series 2 for us.
I really wish Upper Deck were smarter with there player selection.

They made a Dion Phaneuf card in series 1 and made a Rempal YG instead of a Sean Walker who's much more deserving.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really wish Upper Deck were smarter with there player selection.

They made a Dion Phaneuf card in series 1 and made a Rempal YG instead of a Sean Walker who's much more deserving.
Kind of like me getting a Ryan Spooner card in Oiler jersey. Even Upper Deck wants to kick us in the nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->