Hockey Cards - Part III

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Where's that? No lockdowns here. Been like 20 cases in my zone since the whole thing started.

Stay-at-home order in Ontario. I haven't been to one in a while but I've heard Walmarts are still open but sectioned off....like you can only get food and other essentials there.

We're stuck in this rut til at least June.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Stay-at-home order in Ontario. I haven't been to one in a while but I've heard Walmarts are still open but sectioned off....like you can only get food and other essentials there.

We're stuck in this rut til at least June.

Ah! No we're good here. Nothing closed off. Like I said, my zone averages maybe 1.5 positives per month? Even provincially our numbers have been low since the start.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah and if the condition is relatively pack-fresh, I might be interested. I'm loading up on raw copies of cards and will try to do mass subs to PSA once things are back to normal.

He's just starting to sort and send me pics. Has a bunch of unopened 1988 OPC packs so I am intrigued now to see what else he has.

Reactions: Rorschach

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Some people took card collecting (re-selling) too seriously and fights and assaults happened at various Target locations. So, Target put an end to it.

Edit: while not common there are a few cases of fights but it sounds like this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Fight in a parking lot and someone pulled a gun... over cards.
Target Suspends In-Store Trading Card Sales After Incident
Do you know specifically which cards were so highly sought after? Walmart by me is stocked with all sorts of cards!

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'm mostly into the older stuff but is Upper Deck the only company making hockey cards now? Seems like everything has their logo on it even o-pee-chee.
Upper Deck is the only licensed company. In addition to NHL licensing, they also have AHL, CHL, and Team Canada licensing.

Panini, Leaf, and President’s Choice also make hockey cards but they are not licensed (no logos, lots of airbrushing).

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Do you know specifically which cards were so highly sought after? Walmart by me is stocked with all sorts of cards!
As someone said above, Pokémon. However, in the US, sports like football, basketball, and baseball all have high demand. Being in Canada, it’s interesting often hearing of people not being able to find blaster boxes in retail stores, yet Walmart stores near me often have those sports in stock. Hockey on the other hand can be very tough to find in Canada if Walmart has a sale on their Upper Deck Series 1 or 2 products. Usually people will be there for when the store opens and clear the shelves.

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I’ve got a Sorokin YG Canvas on e-Pack. Debating whether or not to hold on to it or try and trade it up for a better YG.

If Sorokin has a good playoffs his YG maybe goes up to Shesterkin territory.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
As someone said above, Pokémon. However, in the US, sports like football, basketball, and baseball all have high demand. Being in Canada, it’s interesting often hearing of people not being able to find blaster boxes in retail stores, yet Walmart stores near me often have those sports in stock. Hockey on the other hand can be very tough to find in Canada if Walmart has a sale on their Upper Deck Series 1 or 2 products. Usually people will be there for when the store opens and clear the shelves.

You won't find anything in demand at Walmart in Canada 99% of the time.
Series 1/2 retail is crap so that's easier to find.

Most flippers will leave that.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
You won't find anything in demand at Walmart in Canada 99% of the time.
Series 1/2 retail is crap so that's easier to find.

Most flippers will leave that.
Depending on the sale, S1/2 isn’t bad. Just have to read the odds on the back. Some boxes are 2 YGs on average, occasionally it’s 3. When S1 gets released in early November, the YGs are still high demand at Christmas, and one of the retail boxes often goes on sale for Boxing Day. They go very fast. I would never buy them at regular price.

One box I did enjoy at regular price from Walmart were the 17-18 CHL boxes ($25 each) before this season. I’m a CHL collector anyway, so I bought for the enjoyment. However, Lafreniere was high demand and that’s the year to pull his CHL Star Rookie. At one point, his Star Rookie was selling as high as $120USD, and they’re not very tough pulls. I opened a few of those boxes and didn’t hit his base version but I hit the much tougher red version of the Lafreniere Star Rookie. Aside from his auto (difficult to pull any auto in retail boxes), that was the next best card those boxes had to offer.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
The thing is you can get hobby series 1/2 cheap at release when YG get top price.

I still got series 1/2 this year for $115 cad taxes in.

3 blasters at walmart would cost me $120..

AleksandarN

Feb 17, 2007
edmonton
Question I have Connor mcdavid’s young guns card. Is it worth it getting graded? Also how much does it cost and how long does it take?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My retail orders all arrived at once...35 time and 13 blasters...I need to sneak this into the house, without my sig other realizes the extent of this purchase.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Question I have Connor mcdavid’s young guns card. Is it worth it getting graded? Also how much does it cost and how long does it take?
Depends on the condition but if it looks good I would get it graded eventually. Hopefully when life gets back to normal so will BGS turnaround time for cards.
I sent a 10 cards on May 8th last year and still haven't received them back yet.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
33 tins opened....1 Kaprisov and another Kaprosov canvas. 3 more Stutzles. 4 more Romanovs. A canvas Sorokin.

There was 75 YGs plus about 7-8 canvas YGs. So I think I did pretty well. 5 Stutzles so far. Hopefully it's like 2016/17 when I couldn't hit a Laine for the life of me but keep hitting Marners, and the Marner ended up way more valuable.

I expected more random cards. Only one POE. No retired canvas. Only 4 jersey cards.

Good break overall. 2 more tins and 13 blasters being delivered tomorrow.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Depends on the condition but if it looks good I would get it graded eventually. Hopefully when life gets back to normal so will BGS turnaround time for cards.
I sent a 10 cards on May 8th last year and still haven't received them back yet.

Have they.....sent updates, or anything, saying they received them? Might be a massive backlog.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Upper Deck is the only licensed company. In addition to NHL licensing, they also have AHL, CHL, and Team Canada licensing.

Panini, Leaf, and President’s Choice also make hockey cards but they are not licensed (no logos, lots of airbrushing).

Correct. And UD currently owns the licenses for O Pee Chee, Champs, Goodwin, Parkhurst and Fleer as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->