Hockey Cards - Part III

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
A little off topic but does anyone have an opinion on o pee chee baseball cards?

Interested to see this. What about OPC baseball cards from the 1970s? I happened to dig out my old hockey card box last night and there are a small number of Canadian baseball cards in there as well, from 1975 and 1976 mainly. I remember buying them but they weren't popular and consequently weren't "traded" at school like hockey cards were. So their condition is probably okay in that they haven't been handled much (except the ones I wrote on!). Anyway, I don't know much about sports cards - would the best place to get an idea of value, if any, be on eBay?

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Anyone know how high Hasek's cards are rated now compared to the 90s and early 00s when they emerged? I have a collection from that era that I can't get my hands on right now but would be interested in selling if the price is right.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone know how high Hasek's cards are rated now compared to the 90s and early 00s when they emerged? I have a collection from that era that I can't get my hands on right now but would be interested in selling if the price is right.

High grade cards from all 91-92 sets sell really well in the 300-400 range for PSA 10. At PSA 9 they sell still but for a fraction of that.

Reactions: Calderon

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Damn. Havent seen cards in 7-11 since 2003
I’m pretty sure they stopped selling them due to major theft. I worked at a 7/1 for about a month back in 2001 and it was a MAJOR problem. They eventually put them behind the counter for a short while and then just stopped selling them all together.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I’m pretty sure they stopped selling them due to major theft. I worked at a 7/1 for about a month back in 2001 and it was a MAJOR problem. They eventually put them behind the counter for a short while and then just stopped selling them all together.

Well they're back, at least around Toronto. :nod:

Mostly junk, but some decent older cards. I got 8 packs, only one auto (Zuccarello).

20210507_184349.jpg

20210507_182414.jpg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I figured lol. I knew some guys who used to go their on lunch break and take entire boxes! First time I ever seen those 2001 Adrenaline cards was on one of their heists ahaha. They werent even into cards they just loved stealing.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
What’s a good website for looking up best offers accepted on eBay? I’ve used Watch Count but curious of other options.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
After May 14th Target will no longer be selling trading cards.

from bleedingcool.com:

In a move that likely will be widely regarded as frustrating, yet understandable, Target has decided to follow in Wal-Mart's footsteps and halt trading card sales in their entirety. Beginning on May 14th, Target stores around the United States will no longer be selling trading cards, including but probably not limited to sports cards of various kinds and cards from the Pokémon Trading Card Game.

E-Ridge-Rochester-NY.jpg

A photo taken in upstate New York of the new trading card embargo by Target stores.

There is no word on whether this embargo will extend to games such as Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, or the Digimon Card Game, but judging from the general ignorance surrounding current blanketing policies, it is a safe bet to presume that it will. This embargo will last until further notice, however, meaning that there might be an end time. However, that time is not plainly in sight yet.

Full story: Target Stores To Halt Sales Of All Trading Cards From May 14th Forward

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Some people took card collecting (re-selling) too seriously and fights and assaults happened at various Target locations. So, Target put an end to it.

Edit: while not common there are a few cases of fights but it sounds like this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Fight in a parking lot and someone pulled a gun... over cards.
Target Suspends In-Store Trading Card Sales After Incident

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I don't think their Vancouver locations have them either. But you can buy these types of packs directly from Presstine:

hockey20plus1_275x.jpg

Hockey Cards | Packs and Lots | Best Prices | #1 Brand In North America

These are actually pretty good for young kids. I find one thing I hate about the market the past many years is it's like they completely forgot kids. That's something that is reasonably priced and while it won't return great value, would provide excitement to lure the younger generation in.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
After May 14th Target will no longer be selling trading cards.

from bleedingcool.com:

In a move that likely will be widely regarded as frustrating, yet understandable, Target has decided to follow in Wal-Mart's footsteps and halt trading card sales in their entirety. Beginning on May 14th, Target stores around the United States will no longer be selling trading cards, including but probably not limited to sports cards of various kinds and cards from the Pokémon Trading Card Game.

E-Ridge-Rochester-NY.jpg

A photo taken in upstate New York of the new trading card embargo by Target stores.

There is no word on whether this embargo will extend to games such as Magic: The Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh, or the Digimon Card Game, but judging from the general ignorance surrounding current blanketing policies, it is a safe bet to presume that it will. This embargo will last until further notice, however, meaning that there might be an end time. However, that time is not plainly in sight yet.

Full story: Target Stores To Halt Sales Of All Trading Cards From May 14th Forward
Was getting cat food at Walmart here tonight and shelves full of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->