Hockey Cards - Part III

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
SPGU release date. Watched zeeree open a couple, jesus that second box was rough, I would not be happy if I opened a box like that. Even that "above average" first box wouldn't pay for a box.

Just watched this too....Yeah just awful. SPGU is always junk though, and the fact they made it more expensive this year makes it intolerable. Hockey is the only sport you'd ever see such awful value in a hobby box.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Just watched this too....Yeah just awful. SPGU is always junk though, and the fact they made it more expensive this year makes it intolerable. Hockey is the only sport you'd ever see such awful value in a hobby box.

Open a baseball hobby box and you'll find out what bad value is.
Or you can open a $4000 basketball box and get $40

Series 1/2 baseball hobby is full of nothing but $5-$10 rookies and barely any hits.

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
e-Pack is never a smart decision financially. I don't recommend it.

I spent $200+ on a 19-20 UD S1 box and some packs. You probably re-coup half the value.

Granted I was able to trade the stuff from my box for a Kotkaniemi YG, 2X Poehling YG, and an Adam Boqvist YG. Not horrible. Also got some Romanov Synergy FX Rookies (/749 and /349).

The one thing I like are the speckled base cards. I did it for Suzuki and Gallagher for 2020-21 UD S1 and I did it for Kotkaniemi for 19-20 UD S1.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
e-Pack is never a smart decision financially. I don't recommend it.

I spent $200+ on a 19-20 UD S1 box and some packs. You probably re-coup half the value.

Granted I was able to trade the stuff from my box for a Kotkaniemi YG, 2X Poehling YG, and an Adam Boqvist YG. Not horrible. Also got some Romanov Synergy FX Rookies (/749 and /349).

The one thing I like are the speckled base cards. I did it for Suzuki and Gallagher for 2020-21 UD S1 and I did it for Kotkaniemi for 19-20 UD S1.

Vs what, spending even more money on physical boxes to get the same cards that you can't even trade?

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Vs what, spending even more money on physical boxes to get the same cards that you can't even trade?
The trading is nice for sure. The prices are inflated I find, relative to physical boxes . Shipping is also a factor (the added cost and the wait time). Prices in general are a bit crazy right now.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I JUST watched this video on YT as well.......been watching a lot of breaks online lately, this one was rough. :laugh:
No, the worst is a guy bragging about getting a box of FOTL Prizm basketball at a ridiculous price then getting nothing in the box then pumping tires on his garbage. Nothing is gonna beat that.

There's a video of two creepy looking guys with a clickbait "we bought all the retail" title where they pull nothing then magically a card exclusive to hobby pops up in their last pack of retail that was opened off screen out there too.

But, because I just made a killing on doge, I might giveaway a box of SPA or a YG to somebody here....

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I was looking at purchasing a Patrick Kane Future Watch. In terms of value, I feel it is an undervalued card. I have also always been a fan of Patrick Kane since he came into the league.

Which of these two listings are the better investment card?

I did my research, and I know Future Watch cards from this year in SP Authentic commonly have condition issues. Would the condition of either of these substantially effect its valuation down the road?

Look at this on eBay
2007-08 Sp Authentic Future Watch Rc Auto Patrick Kane, 200/999! | eBay

Look at this on eBay
2007-08 Sp Authentic Future Watch Patrick Kane /999 | eBay

If someone can give me some feedback on this before I do this, I'd appreciate it.
Well, somebody bought the first one, and the second one is ridiculous.

Bad corners and that sig will come back a 9 if that while the card as a whole might grade out an 8/7.5.

At that price, you can get a 9.5 or PSA 10

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Well, somebody bought the first one, and the second one is ridiculous.

Bad corners and that sig will come back a 9 if that while the card as a whole might grade out an 8/7.5.

At that price, you can get a 9.5 or PSA 10

A psa 10 will sell for $2k-$3k

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
A psa 10 will sell for $2k-$3k

I feel like a lot of the time it just comes down to pure luck.

A card can come out of a pack without issue, and have all the necessary precautions taken by the cardholder, but if there's an issue on the manufacturer's end there's nothing you can do, really. Like if the card is 0.025 millimeters off center or something, or if there's the slightest nick or crease along the edge, that could hurt its grading.

Reactions: ted2019

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
I feel like a lot of the time it just comes down to pure luck.

A card can come out of a pack without issue, and have all the necessary precautions taken by the cardholder, but if there's an issue on the manufacturer's end there's nothing you can do, really. Like if the card is 0.025 millimeters off center or something, or if there's the slightest nick or crease along the edge, that could hurt its grading.

Depends on set/ year.

Most cards are damaged before you even open the pack.

There's only 30 PSA 10 Patrick Kane future watches.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Depends on set/ year.

Most cards are damaged before you even open the pack.

There's only 30 PSA 10 Patrick Kane future watches.

Well that's what I'm getting at, they promote all these high-value cards, rookie auto patches, young guns, etc., but if you manage to pull one of these top cards and it was already damaged from production, that's gotta be a kick in the balls.

That said, I don't think I'd be TOO upset if I got a Laffy or Kaprizov patch auto that was graded a 9 or something.

Never had a card good enough to get graded before but I hear it takes a while.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Looking at past sales

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=Patrick+kane+future+watch+2007&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

There hasn't been a Kane FW high grade or any grade sale in awhile. Idk where 2/3k comes from.

800/1k is about right

Edit- somebody has one at 15k BIN.

I laughed.

I laughed alot

That comes from the huge premium a PSA 10 would get.
A PSA 9 will easily sell for $1k if not more

I would not be surprised if a 10 sold for $5k

Maybe you don't know the market anymore.

Mackinon fwa psa 10 sold for $7k and that's not a hard year to grade.

I would get $1k for Nicklas Backstrom PSA 10...

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

Oh, I know the market. I just don't pay absurd prices.

As for the 6k Mackinnon sale, he's 25 years old. Of course there's going to be speculation on potential growth from gamblers and from the look of it, somebody who listed the same card twice to pump the price. So odd was this, if you back check that year;

http://www.watchcount.com/completed...w+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

You will see Macks cards were artificially pumped up compared to other PSA 10's of that year and I'm 99% sure not one of those Macks actually changed money.

Do you know the market?

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Oh, I know the market. I just don't pay absurd prices.

As for the 6k Mackinnon sale, he's 25 years old. Of course there's going to be speculation on potential growth from gamblers and from the look of it, somebody who listed the same card twice to pump the price. So odd was this, if you back check that year;

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=2013+future+watch+rookie+psa+10&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

You will see Macks cards were artificially pumped up compared to other PSA 10's of that year and I'm 99% sure not one of those Macks actually changed money.

Do you know the market?

You are not the market so it does not matter.
I bought Mackinnon for $50. I would never pay that much either since he'll drop big in the future.
Kane is still underpriced.

The point is you will NEVER be able buy a Patrick Kane fwa PSA 10 for $1000.

I know a few people that sold Mackinnons and money did exchange.
The rest of PSA 10s that year are irrelevant.

Everyone goes by Ebay with real or fake sales. It does not matter.
Market gets set.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Maybe on Fleabay

You keep railing against "Fleabay" as if there is some magical other site or community where people sell their cards for half the price that they could get on eBay. Why would they do that? eBay is just a representation of the free market. The demand is driven by consumers bidding (or straight buying) cards that individual sellers decide the price to list.

eBay sucks specifically as a card collecting community and free market for sports cards. But it is the best thing available.

Looking at past sales

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=Patrick+kane+future+watch+2007&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

There hasn't been a Kane FW high grade or any grade sale in awhile. Idk where 2/3k comes from.

800/1k is about right

Edit- somebody has one at 15k BIN.

I laughed.

I laughed alot

It seems like you misunderstand basic market fundamentals like scarcity. Gem Mint graded, desirable cards are essentially veblen goods. Just because you disagree does not make it less true.

Reactions: Satan

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Got my replacement young guns from us today. They sent then to my old address and they'd been sitting at FedEx for 6 weeks. They aren't perfect, but much much better than the pokemon looking cards from before. Still choked about my bad luck this year. Do have 3 Jason Robertsons though. He might end up the best rookie in the set.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
You keep railing against "Fleabay" as if there is some magical other site or community where people sell their cards for half the price that they could get on eBay. Why would they do that? eBay is just a representation of the free market. The demand is driven by consumers bidding (or straight buying) cards that individual sellers decide the price to list.

eBay sucks specifically as a card collecting community and free market for sports cards. But it is the best thing available.

It seems like you misunderstand basic market fundamentals like scarcity. Gem Mint graded, desirable cards are essentially veblen goods. Just because you disagree does not make it less true.

Lots of Facebook groups where people buy and sell cards. I've won a ton of cards lately razzing but can snatch some awesome deals on cards that go for much more on eBay. Great for selling as well, no fees whatsoever aside from shipping.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

I have a BGS 10 Mack FWA , the card grades very hard as centering is normally off.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Got my replacement young guns from us today. They sent then to my old address and they'd been sitting at FedEx for 6 weeks. They aren't perfect, but much much better than the pokemon looking cards from before. Still choked about my bad luck this year. Do have 3 Jason Robertsons though. He might end up the best rookie in the set.
I sent a Vilardi in February still havent got it back yet. Pulled 2 more Vilardi since and they have the same terrible cut.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
I opened my upper deck series 2 retail earlier in the week.. Romanov young guns was dinged on both top corners.. gonna send that in, not sure what I will get back for it

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I used to collect back in the 90s and have boxes of cards I haven't looked at since then. About 20 years ago I bought an 89 opee chee vending box for $50, it's the one with the Joe Sakic rookie card. I think there are enough cards to make up 25 sets, not sure tho. Should probably check if that shit is worth something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->