Hockey Car Smell

the_nole

Sep 6, 2005
los angeles, ca
This is probably one of the biggest flaws of an SUV (trunkless), but after playing for a fews years (2-3x a week) my jeep is starting to smell like my hockey bag. Especially on those hot days.

Any suggestions for a remedy?

I was going to try a mixture of leaving a box / washing the upholstery with Baking Soda +
OT Odor Eliminator

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
there are small ozone generators that you can buy. Placed in the vehicle for an hour or so will totally remove the smell. They arent exactly cheap but its something you can use in the house for food smells as well as in the car or even your entire gear bag. If you do purchase one, READ the use and cautions carefully.

you can also find plans online for building your own. It isnt that difficult.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
there are small ozone generators that you can buy. Placed in the vehicle for an hour or so will totally remove the smell. They arent exactly cheap but its something you can use in the house for food smells as well as in the car or even your entire gear bag. If you do purchase one, READ the use and cautions carefully.

you can also find plans online for building your own. It isnt that difficult.

Just get your car cleaned out nicely somewhere...then get a Shockdoctor bag with the ozone/dryer and use that with a convertor plug in your car if you want to be leaving that stuff in there. Or take the preventive route and air your stuff out somewhere instead of your car after games.

the_nole

Sep 6, 2005
los angeles, ca
Or take the preventive route and air your stuff out somewhere instead of your car after games.

I normally air out my stuff, but once every few months my stuff gets stuck in the car due to a prior engagement right after the game

FEBREEZZE it out

tried that before with my gear, it just smells like locker room with a hint of fabreeze:dunno:

Learn to love it. Embrace the stink, its your after all. You earned it.

I honestly don't mind it, nor do i even smell it most of the time. but when someone (non hockey related) gets in my car, the 'bitter beer face' they get is embarrassing

petenik

Oct 18, 2006
parts unknown
drive home with the windows down...that usually airs it out. If it's really bad just drive faster. This problem is much worse in the summer than the winter but if you're in Cali i guess you're screwed most of the year...

i wouldn't use febreeze: that's like mixing icecream and ****...the end result probably ends up tasting more like ****...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinordi24*

baby powder?

are you talking about the leg pads or everything in general.

and yea im a goalie

Baby powder is amazing in its power to absorb moisture and odor.

When my daughter was younger and had bed wetting issues we would always chuck some on the spot, wait a few hours and vacuum. Huge difference than not doing it.

I dont know about putting it directly on the pads tho b/c you many not get some of it out. I have put it in my gloves before and had no problem with it tho.

I was talking more about when you place your pads down and the sweat absorbs into the carpetting of the car.

Emmy Cate

Oct 2, 2006
Trenton, ON
www.myspace.com
my little cavalier smells like that cause I'm lazy and I just throw my bag into the back seat, its like that with soccer and rugby too, can't wait till I get a truck.

Right now I advise if you have a sunroof or if you drive a wrangler, take the top off or just open up your sunroof and roll down all the windows and have a stick air refreshener and plug some behind your seats.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I can't believe people don't like hockey equipment smell. :shakehead
be a man, man...appreciate the smell, embrass the smell. it's like old taverns' smell. it's made for a man

Emmy Cate

Oct 2, 2006
Trenton, ON
www.myspace.com
I can't believe people don't like hockey equipment smell. :shakehead
be a man, man...appreciate the smell, embrass the smell. it's like old taverns' smell. it's made for a man

hey, I'm a girl and I appreciate the smell of my bags even though its sorta gross, one of my friends dissed me about refusing to wash the luck outta my equiptment... I made them smell my hockey, rugby/soccer and basketball bags

they refuse to drive with me after practice

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Haha, my gear just smells...damp and sort of like kids shampoo. Its really weird.

The only time it ever smelled was when I played 3 games in one day and then played for four days straight. Then it just sort of smelled...weird.

Didn't STINK persay, just smelled. My shin pads are the WORST though. My pants though hardly ever get damp. I think its because they're now way too big and they just sort of hang.

Oh and my gloves and skates. :shakehead

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
hey, I'm a girl and I appreciate the smell of my bags even though its sorta gross, one of my friends dissed me about refusing to wash the luck outta my equiptment... I made them smell my hockey, rugby/soccer and basketball bags

they refuse to drive with me after practice

generally women hate the smell...though there's the few exceptions, like you. :bow:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Not here...Played the game for almost 43 years now....Some of these kids walk by to the ice and your eyes start to water...MY GOD how can anyone stand it. OZONE is awesome in that it kills the bacteria and doesnt soak the gear. By the way, the smell are those little microscopic ******** eating your gear. My Oldest tried the "its lucky" routine but that one lasted only as long as he was able to stand it. It seems luck wasnt that important when he had to keep the gear in his own bedroom.

I am also the odd goalie that cleans off puck marks so its more than just the stink...lol

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
(Glad I have a pick-up)
}:)>
I've heard that putting a slice of bread in the space with the offending odor will absorb the smell.
Also, try a bar of laundry soap (like Zote) - open the top of the package and let it sit there. Even if it doesn't work, you can use it as bait when you go catfishing. Have you hung one of those car tree air-freshener thingies? Just open the package a bit at a time..or, open it all the way - depending on how bad the stink is, and how much you don't mind the smell of strawberry (or whatever scent you choose).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Heres a few things I do that have rectified the problem

1.> Wash whatever is washable regularily: Shinpad liners, soft elbow pads etc.
2.> Use Febreeze ANTIBACTERIAL... this one kills the bacteria and makes it smell nice - bacteria causes skin rashes, breaks down the equipment and is the whole reason for the smell. The more smell the worse the bacteria.
3.> Change your gloves EVERY YEAR: I know guys think they have lucky gloves, or they hate getting used to new ones, but it's way better than a bad staph infection. Gloves are absolutely the worst most dangerous piece of equipment. If you have old gloves that stink and you get a cut on your hand, you can actually get a BLOOD INFECTION! Gloves nowadays are like 40-80 bucks, and are well worth the replacement cost. They are 80% of your hockey bag smell too.
4.> Wash your undergarments and Jerseys after every game! I can't believe some guys never wash their jock shorts. That's going against your privates guys!
5.> Finally, put a fresh Bounce sheet in your bag once a week.

If you do all this your bag will smell great, and hence your car will smell good and people will sit next to you in the locker room again :)

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
the hockey smell lets people know that your a man when they get into your car.

But honestly, the worst part isnt the smell. Its when you dont air the gear out and you have to suit up with cold, wet, nasty *** gear. Thats the worst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad