Hockey Canada mandates cross ice hockey

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Basically if your child is 2010 or up they will be playing a modified game up untill atom (10 and 11) they don't keep score and they focus on skill development. Take away time and space and you develop true hockey senses.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Basically if your child is 2010 or up they will be playing a modified game up untill atom (10 and 11) they don't keep score and they focus on skill development. Take away time and space and you develop true hockey senses.

Have already seen it in action. Doesn't change a thing. The kids still are very aware of the score hahaha

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Have already seen it in action. Doesn't change a thing. The kids still are very aware of the score hahaha

Yeah, I don't know what they plan on changing in the game, but in terms of score, it doesn't matter if the score is on the board or not, the kids know exactly how many goals each side put up. Before they started keeping score and wins and losses, after each game my nephew could tell me how many goals were scored on each side.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
It's designed to take away time and space. It's based on the hockey USA model. Hockey is a game of lateral movement and they did some analytical tests and found that half ice and cross ice hockey kids had much more puck touches, body contact, puck battles shots and goals. It's just a perfect ratio and it was the closest resemblance to the pro game they could find. Your going to see some very very gifted puck handlers and vision developed out of this program. I am fully behind this as I have seen the results first hand already.

Plus the games are very exciting

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
It's designed to take away time and space. It's based on the hockey USA model. Hockey is a game of lateral movement and they did some analytical tests and found that half ice and cross ice hockey kids had much more puck touches, body contact, puck battles shots and goals. It's just a perfect ratio and it was the closest resemblance to the pro game they could find. Your going to see some very very gifted puck handlers and vision developed out of this program. I am fully behind this as I have seen the results first hand already.

Plus the games are very exciting

The thing is the keeping score and friendship part that rubs people the wrong way. Like the goal limit on kids.

This is what they should do, instead of having age groups, have skill groups, it's that simple.

krown

Apr 25, 2007
vancouver
I'm coaching Initiation hockey and we're using this model for our games. So far is been great as we can have more kids on the ice playing at one time. The kids' time and space is limited so they are learning to make quick decisions with the puck. It's also creating more body contact, which is something which they need to get used to as they climb up the ladder.

Reactions: LarryO

Nov 4, 2017
what about Novice A/AE? What happens here? There are some very competitive parents in the association I play in who will not be happy, as our Novice A team is always very good.

Nov 4, 2017
What does having a good team have to do with cross ice? It'll be like this until Atom.
The parents are always competitive, and won't be happy when the competitive environment is take out. The kids who will play AAA will be going from half an undersized rink to a full NHL sized rink.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The parents are always competitive, and won't be happy when the competitive environment is take out. The kids who will play AAA will be going from half an undersized rink to a full NHL sized rink.
It shouldn't be about the parents. It's for the kids. And when they end up on wide open ice, they will thrive with the skills they developed in a reduced space.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Right now I've got two kids in novice (born in '09 and '10) and one in Initiation (born in '12) and I coach in both levels. I think this is absolutely a good thing for the initiation level but I don't really like it for novice. By novice all the kids can skate and many can skate pretty well. I can see how it will develop their stick handling ability a bit but will it come at the price of being good skaters?

I just don't know why we have to keep dumbing down the game for kids and why Hockey Canada has to keep changing things or copying other countries. Let's just play some hockey. We've been pretty good at it for a hundred years haven't we?

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I think they should be practicing both full-ice and cross-ice. Skating skills and endurance would benefit from full-ice, and puck-handling and quick decision-making would benefit from cross-ice. Even adults could benefit from occasional cross-ice practice 4-on-4 or 3-on-3.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Great! More touches, faster game, and cheaper ice time for parents.

Grownups play on “FULL SHEET” scale of what an 8 year old sees....

While I think that kids could benefit from some cross-ice practice, that video looks like a lot of USA Hockey propaganda. I'd be willing to bet that a few of the fitter faster players enjoyed the extra space, but their comments would have been excluded.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
While I think that kids could benefit from some cross-ice practice, that video looks like a lot of USA Hockey propaganda. I'd be willing to bet that a few of the fitter faster players enjoyed the extra space, but their comments would have been excluded.

Yeah, I agree. They're selling it pretty hard that it's too big for kids to get around on. To tell my singular perspective. My nephew, just turned 10 this year, playing A1 rep, has always been one of the smallest players, always a head shorter than the rest, and he has never had any trouble getting up and down the ice. In fact, in previous years and this one, I've seen teams just smother my nephew's team defensively to the point where they had less than 10 shots.

From my understanding from talking with some of the other parents, this isn't an uncommon thing for some of the better teams. I've heard about parents of goalies not wanting their kids to play for those teams because they don't get enough shots to develop.

As for kids not getting involved in the play, well, that's why they teach playing team game, no? I mean at certain levels, they have the Gretzky rule so the better players/skaters have to learn how to distribute the puck to their teammates, because they're only allowed to score 3.

As mentioned, kids can definitely benefit from this. My nephew plays 3 on 3 in the summer cross ice. But that video kind of rubs me the wrong way. It seems a little dishonest the way they present it. I mean, sure it allows them to get use to tight quarters and maybe develop puck skills, but what's its impact on skating?

Won't it be more difficult for kids to get up a full head of steam and develop their stride and speed? I don't see a lot of situations where they'll have to chase someone down because they're all bunched into a small area. Just reach out and hook someone.

I mean today during my nephew's practice, since it was the last before Christmas, the coach gave them a treat and they played a special scrimmage.

One of the things he did was call out line changes where the teams switched off and a different number of players would come off the bench. For example, the game may be 4 on 4, but then he calls a line change where the four players on each side switch of and only 2 players on each side come on, so it becomes a 2 on 2.

They did this for different numbers, even 1 on 1. Yeah it was tiring, but kids didn't have trouble getting up and down the ice at all. I think as long as the teams and players are placed in their proper levels, things will be fine.

Again, I see the value in this, but I'm a bit of a skeptic. There are always give and takes. Nothing is perfect.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah, I agree. They're selling it pretty hard that it's too big for kids to get around on. To tell my singular perspective. My nephew, just turned 10 this year, playing A1 rep, has always been one of the smallest players, always a head shorter than the rest, and he has never had any trouble getting up and down the ice. In fact, in previous years and this one, I've seen teams just smother my nephew's team defensively to the point where they had less than 10 shots.

From my understanding from talking with some of the other parents, this isn't an uncommon thing for some of the better teams. I've heard about parents of goalies not wanting their kids to play for those teams because they don't get enough shots to develop.

As for kids not getting involved in the play, well, that's why they teach playing team game, no? I mean at certain levels, they have the Gretzky rule so the better players/skaters have to learn how to distribute the puck to their teammates, because they're only allowed to score 3.

As mentioned, kids can definitely benefit from this. My nephew plays 3 on 3 in the summer cross ice. But that video kind of rubs me the wrong way. It seems a little dishonest the way they present it. I mean, sure it allows them to get use to tight quarters and maybe develop puck skills, but what's its impact on skating?

Won't it be more difficult for kids to get up a full head of steam and develop their stride and speed?
I don't see a lot of situations where they'll have to chase someone down because they're all bunched into a small area. Just reach out and hook someone.

I mean today during my nephew's practice, since it was the last before Christmas, the coach gave them a treat and they played a special scrimmage.

One of the things he did was call out line changes where the teams switched off and a different number of players would come off the bench. For example, the game may be 4 on 4, but then he calls a line change where the four players on each side switch of and only 2 players on each side come on, so it becomes a 2 on 2.

They did this for different numbers, even 1 on 1. Yeah it was tiring, but kids didn't have trouble getting up and down the ice at all. I think as long as the teams and players are placed in their proper levels, things will be fine.

Again, I see the value in this, but I'm a bit of a skeptic. There are always give and takes. Nothing is perfect.

Sixty years ago and earlier they had proportional rinks for little kids gradually moving up in size to full rinks by btheir mid teens.

Bolded, kids develop proper foot movement in tight areas and learn how to accelerate out of a pack.

Only problem with cross ice - you can play two or three games depending on the age, is that the organization should not scrimp on proper temporary corners. Otherwise kids will be delayed learning how to enter,play in and exit corners.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I just don't know why we have to keep dumbing down the game for kids and why Hockey Canada has to keep changing things or copying other countries. Let's just play some hockey. We've been pretty good at it for a hundred years haven't we?

Two reasons;
1. Money. Don't ever think for a second that Hockey Canada cares about anything other than making a profit.
They are freaking out about the fact that registration drops every year.
With cross-ice games, they can fit more kids on the ice at once.

2. Fear of falling behind the European countries.
And if European countries take over the NHL, that means even less Canadian registrations which leads to less money.

This country is so dumb when it comes to its obsession with hockey.
Instead of kids playing road hockey or pond hockey they're playing hockey 12 months a year or are on a skating treadmill.
They don't have time to play 'regular hockey'.
A local association charges $80 for travel tryouts. We had 36 kids in one division. Doing the math, it's a $2600 donation towards the travel team before even stepping on the ice.

I am so sick and tired of the politics and BS that has become youth hockey.
When my youngest son was in Timbit hockey, the convener took away games. As a coach, I told him that was a mistake as games keep kids interested.
Eventually, enough parents complained and he added games after Christmas. But he chose the Sunday time slot of 7AM.
Again, I told him this was a mistake as 7AM would prevent a lot of grandparents and family members from watching the kids.
He asked why that was important. I said "Because it excites them to play in front of family and friends. It's FUN".
His response? And this is a direct quote "What does 'FUN' have to do with hockey".
How do you argue with that!?!! I was floored. I couldn't believe what I heard.
But this is what sane people are dealing with when they decide to get their kids into hockey in Canada these days.

In the end, these cross-ice games don't mean squat. NHL players are born. McDavid would have made it whether he was playing cross-ice games or on a lake in Manitoba.
They're also born in extremely rich families. If your household makes less than 90K, forget about playing travel hockey.
Go play basketball. That's precisely what was I told when I argued with the local board that travel hockey was too expensive.
Why do we need 4 tournaments on the road? Why does every parent have to spend $600-$750 on hockey 'swag' that has absolutely nothing to do with helping the kids improve their hockey skills?
I was unaware that it's impossible to get to the next level without a travel ONESIE to sleep in!??!!

Hockey Canada sucks bigtime.
If at all possible, have your kids play as much street hockey and pond hockey as possible. And let them be kids. Let them play multiple sports and enjoy playing in an environment with less structure and the ability to be creative.

If we really wanted our young kids to be good hockey players, one practice a week would be nothing but pond hockey. No offsides, no structure and no parents on the ice.
Bobby Orr became Bobby Orr by playing a crap-tonne of pond hockey in Owen Sound.
He said, in his biography, that there were many times the games were 10-on-10. He said his stickhandling developed by having to skate through and around 19 other skaters.

We, as Canadians, have lost our minds when it comes to this game. It's a GAME. Let the kids figure it out - like they did for decades before every parent became obsessed with their kid being the McDavid of their team.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Grew up playing in smaller outdoor community ice rinks and pond hockey
Full size rinks for 5-6 year old doesn’t really look like hockey but more like who can skate to the puck first
The only draw back with cross layout is that one side or both doesn’t have boards and it’s important to learn to use the boards for playing the puck and to learn to play safety along the boards

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018

Won't it be more difficult for kids to get up a full head of steam and develop their stride and speed? I don't see a lot of situations where they'll have to chase someone down because they're all bunched into a small area. Just reach out and hook someone.

I actually support what HC is doing (a shocker, I know). The more our kids handle the puck and can make plays in tight quarters, the more I think they'll be helped. Frankly, it's hard to enjoy hockey as you should if you don't have the skill-set. It's not a sport like golf in that respect. I know the Muricans are using something like this, and I think it's served them well (that and all the corporate welfare Excited States hockey gets from a professional league Canadians built and then maintained for nearly a century).

Too bad they weren't looking at things like this a decade ago. But we all know who was running Hockey Canada then, don't we?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Here's the thing... It's not one or the other. I have no issues with cross-ice hockey. HOWEVER, it has to be mixed in with full ice practices. Kids have to learn to use the entire ice.... Create space. Develop stamina, and top speed. Learn how to hit players in stride with passes. There are a lot of things cross-ice hockey is good at. And a lot of things that it lacks.

Reactions: Oak

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Here's the thing... It's not one or the other. I have no issues with cross-ice hockey. HOWEVER, it has to be mixed in with full ice practices. Kids have to learn to use the entire ice.... Create space. Develop stamina, and top speed. Learn how to hit players in stride with passes. There are a lot of things cross-ice hockey is good at. And a lot of things that it lacks.

Totally agree.
When we switched to cross-ice games our clueless convener removed any full-tice component to the practices.
This was a huge mistake as none of the kids ever had to skate their hardest, work on their strides or leg it out at 100%.
Many of the kids took shortcuts knowing they only had to use short choppy strides to get to the boards and back.

I do like the idea of cross-ice games for the fact that it does promote more touches of the puck. But I think there's value in both cross-ice and full ice games/scrimmages.

In the end, it seems like we're trying too hard to reinvent the wheel and I stand firm that these kids should be spending less time in a rink and more time on a pond or playing street hockey. That's where real creativity comes from.

TSN's Darren Dreger has an artificial rink in his backyard. He said it's worth it's weight in gold for his AAA Peewee aged son because it's the only place where he can do whatever he wants. He can be creative and just have FUN as opposed to his practices which are controlled down to when they can take water.

I think my biggest complaint about Youth Hockey today is that every team and coach plays systems. Kids aren't allowed to be creative.
There's a 7YO out there right now who is told to be a stay-at-home defenseman. Do you think the same thing is going on in Europe or even the U.S.?
At some point, when the kids get older and the games become more important, players will fall into roles and that's fine.
But I believe that should be happening around 14 or 15 and at a high level of hockey. Not as a Novice.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Totally agree.
When we switched to cross-ice games our clueless convener removed any full-tice component to the practices.
This was a huge mistake as none of the kids ever had to skate their hardest, work on their strides or leg it out at 100%.
Many of the kids took shortcuts knowing they only had to use short choppy strides to get to the boards and back.

I do like the idea of cross-ice games for the fact that it does promote more touches of the puck. But I think there's value in both cross-ice and full ice games/scrimmages.

In the end, it seems like we're trying too hard to reinvent the wheel and I stand firm that these kids should be spending less time in a rink and more time on a pond or playing street hockey. That's where real creativity comes from.

TSN's Darren Dreger has an artificial rink in his backyard. He said it's worth it's weight in gold for his AAA Peewee aged son because it's the only place where he can do whatever he wants. He can be creative and just have FUN as opposed to his practices which are controlled down to when they can take water.

I think my biggest complaint about Youth Hockey today is that every team and coach plays systems. Kids aren't allowed to be creative.
There's a 7YO out there right now who is told to be a stay-at-home defenseman. Do you think the same thing is going on in Europe or even the U.S.?
At some point, when the kids get older and the games become more important, players will fall into roles and that's fine.
But I believe that should be happening around 14 or 15 and at a high level of hockey. Not as a Novice.

Both of these posts are spot on.

I have zero issue with Cross-ice hockey for the pre-Atom age groups. I think it's a good thing.

But like you said, practices still need to be on a full-sized sheet.

Too many coaches at the lowest youth levels think this is the NHL. The focus for coaches up to the teenage years should be all about skills development..skating, passing, shooting, stick-handling.

Kids will figure out their role based on what their stronger skills are when they approach teenage years. Players generally like to do the things they do well more often than the things they don't do well.

Tons of time to learn systems and positioning. Some will of already figured it out on their own. I had the misfortune of some pretty awful coaches as a youth player, can't say any of them taught me much about systems and positioning. By the time I was 12-13, I had figured a lot of it out on my own, as will many kids.

Reactions: BogsDiamond

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->