Hockey Buzz: So Why WOULDN'T Vegas Tender a Max Offer Sheet to Draisaitl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ax-Offer-Sheet-to-Draisaitl--Buzz1130/1/86189

I'm only posting this because it's insane....

Seriously??

Since when was Draisaitl worth 4 top 10 picks?

I'm sorry but I'm not trying to bash Draisaitl but the logic here is so insane it boggles my mind...

Yea, I could see a team (if they had the opportunity and the picks) to offer up 4 top 10 picks for a guy like McDavid, but Draisaitl? really?

Look, if you're Edmonton and Vegas offer-sheeted Draisaitl I would not match and I would take your 4 top 10 (more like top 6) picks all day...

It's just so ridiculous..

Yea, Vegas is going to give up top picks regardless of where they fall in the standings for a guy they can get 4 of with similar potential, 3 of the 4 will probably with 99% certainty be top 6/top 4 players.... :laugh:

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ax-Offer-Sheet-to-Draisaitl--Buzz1130/1/86189

I'm only posting this because it's insane....

Seriously??

Since when was Draisaitl worth 4 top 10 picks?

I'm sorry but I'm not trying to bash Draisaitl but the logic here is so insane it boggles my mind...

Yea, I could see a team (if they had the opportunity and the picks) to offer up 4 top 10 picks for a guy like McDavid, but Draisaitl? really?

Look, if you're Edmonton and Vegas offer-sheeted Draisaitl I would not match and I would take your 4 top 10 (more like top 6) picks all day...

It's just so ridiculous..

Yea, Vegas is going to give up top picks regardless of where they fall in the standings for a guy they can get 4 of with similar potential, 3 of the 4 will probably with 99% certainty be top 6/top 4 players.... :laugh:

People here assuming Leon would sign an offer sheet, jeez maybe he would like to keep playing here? He will be paid well, you can count t on it. And why would Vegas give up 4 firsts? They may get at least 1 blue chip guy with those.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
People here assuming Leon would sign an offer sheet, jeez maybe he would like to keep playing here? He will be paid well, you can count t on it. And why would Vegas give up 4 firsts? They may get at least 1 blue chip guy with those.

Given Chiarelli has stated he would match any offer sheet, signing an offer sheet wouldn't be Draisaitl not wanting to play in Edmonton, it would be wanting to play in Edmonton for lots and lots of money.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

why would a young player who will be making 10 million a year want to play in Vegas?

Why wouldn't he?

Vegas has pletheora of picks already. They will get more picks and first rounders can be acquired later. They get a star for their team

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
why would a young player who will be making 10 million a year want to play in Vegas?

Why wouldn't he?

Vegas has pletheora of picks already. They will get more picks and first rounders can be acquired later. They get a star for their team

And what about the Knight's deals with their great young players after a couple of years? Let's just keep driving up those salaries to another lockout season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Given Chiarelli has stated he would match any offer sheet, signing an offer sheet wouldn't be Draisaitl not wanting to play in Edmonton, it would be wanting to play in Edmonton for lots and lots of money.

Yep, Leon knows if he signs an offersheet, Chia will match it and he will get to stay in Edmonton. It would be a win-win for him.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Because they arent ready to contend until probably 3-5 years. Would be smart to miss the playoffs so they can draft 3 more early first rounders instead of wasting 5 years of Drai on a team that isnt competetive.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
It's too early for Vegas right now to be offer sheeting anyone. They're still a rebuilding team and can't afford to be giving up what would be very likely high draft picks.

Teams like Montreal or Nashville would be smarter teams to throw out offer sheets because they're in win now mode and their 1sts would probably be late picks which would be easily worth it for a talent like Draisaitl.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
I came on here to explain exactly why Draisaitl wasn't worth 4 first round picks, but the OP beat me to it and answered the question! :laugh:

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I came on here to explain exactly why Draisaitl wasn't worth 4 first round picks, but the OP beat me to it and answered the question! :laugh:

It's not only that but where Vegas is guaranteed to pick (top 6 for every pick)....

I have never heard of a GM even considering giving up (4) top 6 picks for a player....

That is why the article is so damn stupid...

I would get the concept kinda (I would still say it would be overpayment) if these picks weren't protected and guaranteed to be top picks but since they are it makes absolutely zero sense...

The article should read "Why doesn't Vegas give Edmonton 4 top 6 picks and early cap relief for Draisaitl"....

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Because Vegas is more than a single player away from contention. They need pretty much everything, and those four picks will help them build the groundwork for that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's a better idea than Bruce Arthur going on TSN today and suggesting the Flames throw an $11M/season offer at Draisaitl. They don't have enough cap space or the draft picks needed to do it. :dunce:

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

Dude, if I was a GM and was offered 4 guaranteed top 6 picks by the league, you can have him.... I'll take those picks and find me another "Leon" and then some...

IDK tho, perhaps the editor that wrote this stupidity just feels the world isn't right if Edmonton doesn't pick in the top 10 ever year....

That or he's out to lunch and wants to make leafs fans look reasonable when
talking about a trade for Bozak....:laugh: Just playing leafs fans - love the rebuild...

But yea...

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
If Vegas does that we will look forward to all their lottery picks, Drai is not the kind of player who gets signed to the max.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Because Vegas is more than a single player away from contention. They need pretty much everything, and those four picks will help them build the groundwork for that.

It's not only that but they're also top 6 picks - why on earth would they trade them all to Edmonton for Draisaitl?

Would you rather have 4 top 6 picks in a row or Draisaitl?

If the offer was made to Cherilli and he matched I would laugh my ass off... I would take those picks all day everyday....

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly, McDavid might be the only player in the league I wouldn't trade for 4 1sts from Vegas. Maybe a few more due to the way that the lottery is setup but those picks are essentially 4 straight guaranteed top-5 picks and we all know you need back to back top-5 picks to win.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
If Vegas does that we will look forward to all their lottery picks, Drai is not the kind of player who gets signed to the max.

Yea, well according to hockey buzz Vegas would be insane not to offer that batch of picks up for Draisaitl? and giving him "max"....

I mean I could see Leon for a top 5 pick + a top prospect or defensman ..... If he was moved for that I would be like "cool" but 4 first round picks that are top 6.... c'mon...

This article should have never been published.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If you do a max and Oilers don't match you give up a lot of 1st round picks which isn't good for a brand new team and you are overpaying in cap that will hinder your ability to build up a good team. Also it would cause a stir with other GM.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
4 lottery picks > Draisaitl

It's just not even a reasonable question, especially given that it's a new franchise with a shallow prospect pool. Offer sheets only seem to be a real possibility when you happen to have a healthy prospect pool and are one, elite piece away from being a legitimate contender.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
How about you post this on the TR/FA forum, or the Vegas forum?

And you're right about an article that should never have been published, let alone linked to on HF.

Closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia