hockey bags suggestions

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
like the title says.
my old bag is on it's last trips to the arena. any suggestions would be welcome. I'm looking for something obvious durable, with lots of space (large hockey pants take alot of place). side skate pockets good or bad? are wheel bag durable or just fashionable?

thanx

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
best quality bag you'll find(it's pretty cheap too) is the Fury bag from eastwesthockey.com. It's HUGE and much better quality than any other bag I've seen. I only wish it had more pockets that just skate pockets.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
A wheel-free bag (not to confuse with a bag for which you get the wheels for free when you buy the bag!) will either ruin your neck before even starting the game (!) or give you a good workout, which might be useful. I've had a wheel-free bag for many years and when I tried someone's wheel bag, I found it so much easier to carry the bag that I decided to install wheels myself on my bag, and I would never want to come back to the wheel-free bags!

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Wheel bags are fashionable...that's about it. No need for it unless your walking like half a mile carrying your stuff, or you enjoy packing more than one set of stuff in your bag. All that gear isn't that heavy, especially from parking lot to the locker room. Heck your a hockey palyer, suck it up, heheh. Idk if the price really warrants it either as wheel bags are double the price of a decent 'normal' bag. If you decide to skimp on a wheel bag, you might wind up with cruddy wheels or something too.

Only thing you really need is something that can fit all your stuff, and a hard bottom to the bag. Carrying it much easier when the bag doesn't sag and shift if you got the hard bottom. I personally use a NBH Small Car bag, got it for less than $15 online...only problem I've got is that there is no hard bottom, but I'll live. You mention side pockets, having one is nice to stick tape and stuff in there, but pockets just for skates arn't important, especially if you have skate covers so you can just toss everything in. Honestly, I rather spend $100 on a stick than abag

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
There are bags you can carry on your back, rather than on our shoulders. It's easier to move around with it in and out of the arena. With the wheels, you're in everyone's way, including the one who is late for his game and has to hurry, but you're there stopping him with your wheel bag. That pisses me off! :banghead:

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
new warrior bags or the NBH bags look sick but a little small. get some wheels for sure, the vapour bags are pretty sick too. gotta go with the extra space for your skates tho if you value you're jets.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
just be sure to keep the blade guards on. Most bags with the skate compartments get cut open pretty fast when they are unguarded. Wierd that it doenst seem to be a problem when in a main compartment but as soon as you have an end or side skate compartment there is a problem with cut through.

hockey_power

Oct 23, 2006
obviously..COMPTON
i like CCM bags, lol, but i dont really notice a lot of difference between bags. although i recently switched to a rolling bag and its worked out OK, but i get annoyed cause alot of times i find that the bag will randomly liketopple to one side hahah ofcourse this happens when someone kicks the side or you go over a curb etc. so i dont know what bag i prefer, i like the rolling bag but find it annoying yet i also like the bag you carry athough i hate the strain on your shoulder. so i guess its a personal preference.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Do not get this:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ulitesmubagnvy.html

If you get a wheeled bag make sure it has a telescoping handle otherwise it will hit the back of your legs when you walk, very annoying.

Just curious why this is a bad bag? Did the stitching split or does it only lack a telescoping handle?

Bag I currently use is one I bought for carrying sparring equipment (for karate/kung fu classes). http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-ebquest3.html No wheels, has hand straps and a shoulder strap and a big enough pocket on either end. I just bought new equipement so I've had to pack things differently to fit it all but it's held up pretty well over the last 4 years or so. I can do without having wheels and don't use the shoulder strap much -- I usually just grab the handles and carry it in front of me.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
When you drag it (wheels) it will hit you in the back of the legs. Extremely annoying and I just carry it for that reason.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Ok the 8k bag is pretty nice. the handles are good and it is easy to carry or wheel. I do have one complaint though. The skate pockets could be wider. Not a huge deal but it is kinda annoying.

Last edited:

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Ok the 8k bag is pretty nice. the handles are good and it is easy to carry or wheel. I do have one complaint though. The skate pockets could be wider. Not a huge deal but it is kinda annoying.

that's one of the bags I was looking at. thanx for the info. what size skates do you wear? do they fit in the pockets too tight? I wear size 8. should fit in nicely?

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
that's one of the bags I was looking at. thanx for the info. what size skates do you wear? do they fit in the pockets too tight? I wear size 8. should fit in nicely?

I wear 8.5's. They fit fine once you get them in there. I just wish the hole was larger, it would be easier to put the skates in. The skate pockets are at either end of the bag and are well ventilated which is nice. I would definitely recommend the bag. Other than that minor problem it's great.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I wear 8.5's. They fit fine once you get them in there. I just wish the hole was larger, it would be easier to put the skates in. The skate pockets are at either end of the bag and are well ventilated which is nice. I would definitely recommend the bag. Other than that minor problem it's great.

thanx...then the RBK 8 will be my next bag ;)

Tinordi24*

My Winwell bag has lasted me over 10 years. Very high quality stuff from that manufacturer in my experience.

slapshotâ„¢

Feb 29, 2004
K-Country
Wheeled bags are for goaltenders only.

That said...I made the mistake of buying my first wheeled bag 2 years ago (not knowing what they were all about) and it doesn't have a telescoping handle. It's a pain in the butt as it keeps hitting the back of your legs as one poster has already pointed out.

BTW, I'm a goaltender (for those of you that are wondering). :]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->