Equipment: Hockey Backpacks - Hauling gear around

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Hey folks,

As I had to lug my giant bag + sticks to the city today for my hockey class later today I was wondering if there are any backpacks that can be used for gear. I found a few on various sites, but they all appear rather small for a full kit. Alternatively, did anybody try to use a travel backpack (hiking or w/e) for hockey gear with success? It seems I will be making this trip a lot more often in the near future and carrying all that for 3 miles is not much fun (although makes a decent workout). Initially I planned on just using my bag as a backpack, but it hangs way to low and pulls my shoulders back and out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've used one for three years now and it's great. Takes a lot of stress off the shoulders, far more comfortable and lightweight feeling, easier to get up/down stairs and through doors. You have to cram the stuff in there though and there are fewer pockets. I put my shin guards in the pant legs and that helps.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I saw that, will that fit a full kit? 25" seems little for pants and chest armor. The smaller stuff I can usually stuff in between.

Edit: Since there was another post. I do the shin/leg thing already and it often is a tight fit. I guess I can get a bit more creative. Thanks for chiming in, probably will go for that, the giant bag is just a giant pain in the butt on the subway.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If it's a senior bag, your stuff will fit. I could fit a full set of large gear with 16" shins if I wanted to in my backpack. Not spacious, but elbow pads and gloves going into the helmet and the shoulder pads wrapped around things and jerseys rolled up...

I should say since I switched to Sherwood shoulder pads it's easier to get crap in and out. If you had big huge shoulder pads that might be a pain.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Just to report back: I got some Bauer backpack (doesn't actually have a model name or anything on it) and fit everything in there easily. I was super amazed by the amount of pockets and slots to put stuff as well as the space. I can easily fit another set of shin guards in there if needed in addition to a whole kit + 2 jerseys + tape and a change of clothes. Life became a lot easier and my stuff now even takes a smaller profile space up at home.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012

DJH

Aug 27, 2011
You can try a sports / outdoors store like MEC. They have a duffle with shoulders. The fight is tight for senior equipment but it works. The upside is that these are far more durable than typical hockey bags. They work well for shuffling gear on long walks from far end of parking lot to change rooms. The downside is that they may not suit for longer walks as they are not purpose built back packs. They also dont stand up.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/DuffleBags/PRD~4001-652/mec-odyssey-duffle-bag.jsp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad