Hockey Arena XIX - Vagrant is the King!

tujague

Feb 13, 2005

Previous Threads:
Part I - 12/05-12/07 - 104 Page Monster that started it all.
Part II - 12/07-2/08
Part III - 2/08-5/08
Part IV - 5/08-6/08
Part V - 6/08-7/08
Part VI - 7/08-9/08
Part VII - 9/08-11/08
Part VIII - 11/08-12/08
Part IX - 12/08-2/09 - We reached 10K posts in this one:amazed:
Part X - 2/09/-4/09 - Mallard got two good pulls at once!
Part XI - 4/09-6/09
Part XII - 6/24-10/15
Part XIII - 10/05-2/17
Part XIV - 2/17 - 5/16 - These Roman numerals are getting ridiculous.
Part XV - 5/16 - 8/23 - Let's Rebuild Something Together
Part XVI - 8/23 - 3/21 - Luck Runs Out?
Part XVII - 3/21 - 12/16 - Moving on Up to the East Side
Part XVIII - 12/16 - 9/12 - Atomics win NC and reach Semis of NCHC:nod:

ktulu explains Hockey Arena (from the very first post in 2005!)
Hi guys and girls? let me introduce myself first...My name is Lukas aka ktulu and I want to present you one online hockey manager - Hockey Arena-> http://www.hockeyarena.net.

Some facts about HA->
1. game is free...
2. over 40.000 users
3. 42 countries(from Canada,USA,Slovakia,Finland,Sweden to Australia,Belarussia,Brasil... )
4. 26 languages

What is Hockey Arena all about? Every player from nearly 40 thousand registered ones is the owner of a hockey team, fully under his control. You decide on training regimes, you are preparing the lineups for matches, and many more management based activities. The fate of the team is completely in your hands. Only you will decide whether to bring new players from the trade market, whether to expand your training facilities, hiring cheerleaders for the team, and many more out of the money you receive from revenues gained--both from tickets sold or from the team's sponsors. You have to decide whether to invest in training facilities and youth schools to build from within, or to invest large sums on bringing players (such as free agents) from the transfer market. Every dollar spent has a direct impact on the future of the team, which is why it is very important to choose a strategy wisely, weighing in the benefits and flaws of each approach.

If you have decided to give Hockey Arena a try and create a team, you will automatically be placed into one of the leagues in your country. Of course, you will not find yourself in the highest league right from the start. If you want to compare with the best teams, you will have a long road ahead of you—every season lasts 70 days, during which you play 30 league matches in the regular season (A home and away set between the 16 teams in each league). The 8 best teams in regular season will advance to the playoffs, the two finalists promoting to a higher league. Aside from league play, there is the National Cup played on Wednesdays. If you are eliminated from the National Cup you can schedule friendly games to your off-days. Friendly matches are best to test new lineups, new tactics and give your starters a rest. There is also a World championship played once every two seasons, the best players from each country compete under the guidance of a National Manager, elected by all the managers from his home country. Will you be able to amass yourself such a successful reputation that you will become the National Manager for your country?
NHL33 (aka The Budaj Bugati) gives new teams some Important Advice

Don't worry about winning games right now.

First, go around through the various menus. Click on the "?" button where appropriate for information. Secondly, read the overall guide found under Home --> Guide. Third, ask lots of questions. Discussion --> Canada. I think Canada might have a mentor program...I know the U.S. does, so if Canada does, apply for a mentor. Else I know Canada has some newbie / Q&A threads which you should go through. Long read probably but that's life.

For now you want to just build up your stadium (Team --> Stadium), this means spending every dollar you can every week whenever to upgrade. This means: spend up to the $14 million in debt allowable (you'd have seen this if you read the guide!) on training and regeneration. Both should be upgraded simultaneously, as both are equally important in daily improvements to your player. You want to get Y.S. to 20% ASAP as well. After that you can slack off on Y.S. and go the 40/40/20, 60/60/40, ... , 100/100/80 route on Training/Regeneration/Youth School.

Every Wednesday you get money for your sponsorship, $5100 for every member in your fan club (Team --> Info). For league games, the home team pulls in revenues...for friendlies, the money is split. Challenge higher leagues for more revenues, although it gets more difficult for the very high leagues since they stick to their own usually. :S
A playoff game in friendly means continuous O.T., a normal game means ties...go with the latter. It'll potentially save energy. Go around and challenge the V or VI or IV teams for friendlies for all your off-days. NOT DOING SO MEANS LOSING MONEY, expenses are daily regardless of whether there's a match.

This will be a tedious process for you, and you won't build your stadium up significantly for a while yet. Training your players is not very effective until you hit 80% in T/R, and it's quite amazing the differences between, say, 100% and 60%. Every 10% you get a boost, the maximum boost at 20%...but that's kind of off-topic for now.

Every other Sunday there is a youth pull. This Sunday there is none. Basically, that means junior players arrive and you can "build from within". Unfortunately, since building from within is most effective at high levels of T/R, it's not very feasible. All the same, this is a great opportunity to make a lot of cash if you hit the jackpot--look out for young players (19 or under) with high quality (90+ is excellent, 80+ is very good, 70+ is good) and preferably high potential. A player with 100% Quality will sell for a LOT on the market...if young. Older players, say, 25 years old? Not so much.

AI is critical. Younger players with high Q/P can be trained best and molded by teams with good facilities. So, I think you can see why the stadium is so critical to the game. Not only can you improve, but you NEED to do so for higher levels where the opposition does as well. Depending on the market, where prices are inflated, is a bad idea. Luckily, you're intelligent and will listen to us and do as we say and BUILD UP T/R (and Y.S. to 20%) and not fall into the trap. Don't waste money on scouting, don't worry too much about upgrading cheerleading or marketing regularly for now. Maybe give it the odd upgrade, but shouldn't be a concern nor should it interfere with you upgrading T/R (& Y.S.).

Right now, you're going to lose. A lot. If you go on the market, don't buy. Go watch how prices are, learn what are good stats to train for various positions, etceteras. If you're smart you'll spend hours on the market before actually buying...since you want to conserve money right now for your facilities.
Goalie: 1. Goaltending, 2. Speed, 3A. Passing (say 10) / 3B. Self control (say 7)
Center: 1. Attack, 2A. Shooting / 2B. Strength, 3. Passing (say 10)
Wingers: 1. Attack, 2. Shooting, 3. Speed (passing also imp.)
Defensemen: 1. Defense, 2. Strength, 3. Speed

*Important Market Info* Focus on #1 and #2 stat categories for the positions. As you grow older in the game, several seasons from now, more complementary statistics will grow in importance. For right now, to stay competitive at the lower level as you build up your stadium, if you DO purchase players, look for Q+P >= 120, with Q>60.
For AI aim for the following:
19 years - 65
18 years - 50
17 years - 35

Try not to waste money. Spend at most, say, $100K. Use your judgment. Look for good AI totals at cheap cost with decent quality...DO NOT waste your money on veterans. Not only do they have higher daily salaries, they train slower, and right now building up you don't have much a use for them.

You might want to, say, get a good goalie for about $12 million at season's end or such. Throw it at a goalie with Q >= 60, about 21-22 years old, goaltending = 50, speed = 40, sco = 5.

I might be inflating the stats or such. I don't remember what are good starting numbers...but basically get a good goalie. DO NOT OVER PAY. Best thing to do is look several hours ahead and ask about players, say some goalie, and ask for an approximation of what he'll likely get or how much he's worth spending, etc.

Keep asking questions. No matter how stupid your question seems, it's probably been asked by at least 5 of us in the past. Keep building up your facilities. Don't worry too much about money.

Since this IS a sim game, it might not be appropriate for you. A lot of patience will be required, and the fruits of your labor will be sweet, but some either get frustrated, bored, or whatever. So, choose to spend your time wisely. I highly recommend the game and so do others, just make sure you're having fun and remember it's just a game. Don't let things beyond your hand get to you.

Hope this helps. It better. NHL33 (no longer aka Budaj Bugatti. praise jebus) wasted some time typing it up.

Interesting Links
HA-Tools - this is a nice way to get more information about your team as well as all of the teams in your league. Updated every few days. (created by react|HA)
HA-Extra - This FIREFOX add-on puts HA-Tools links right into the hockey arena web pages. It'll add one to team pages to see individual teams, one to your calendar to do a comparison with that opponent, and one to your league standings to do a league wide comparison. (created by Lamma|MOD *retired from HA*)
HA Player Database - You can search for any range of players from any country. Particularly useful for National Team managers. Reminiscent of HA Statistiky(loved that site), but not as good.
Q/P Checker - If you've scouted one of your players and want to sell them, you can use this handy tool to see the unscouted values that everyone else would see. Use the player's ID#, found next to their name on their player page.
League Comparison Tool - Brought to you by the same people who did the Q/P Checker. Similar to HA Tools, but you need to manually enter team ID numbers. Not as good as HATools, but they are working on it.
NHL Players - Tomson's team of NHL players (feat. Joe Sakic v1; Joe Sakic v2 is on Colorado Avalanche)
Chris Chelios - Every hockey game needs its Chelios

This is a pretty interesting tool that was posted on the Canadian forum.

Here's a link to the Google translation. Choose "Ja" from drop-down list for display of seasonal player progress calculation. I didn't use this until the end.

Set language to Danish (Dansk) then go to the player's page, View Page Source (Ctrl + U in FireFox or right-click/View menu), and copy & paste it into the form. Calculations are noted as being generous at earlier ages and there is some form of decay on predictions as players age. Algorithm is slightly flawed in its ignoring of the 150% rule. Also, it states ignorance of potential sequence but calculation progress appears to contradict this (??).

I tried it and a few predictions were accurate, others were not. From results I originally guessed it was subject to high volatility given daily fluctuations in training. Then looking at the calculation progresses, which I had ignored before, this conclusion was blatant. The numbers normalize over time due to training values approaching realistic levels - e.g. no more age 17/18 boosts. Since it is dependent on daily training, it is also highly coupled with TOI and other standard training factors (T&R, match importance, energy, etc.).

I'm interested in tracking this information day-by-day but I'll see if I can be bothered with the required effort. It'd be nice to take the weekly or seasonal averages.

If you enter a player and get a non-calculation, and some funky message, apparently entering in players with 0% daily training isn't a good idea. Maybe my brethren broke it. Certainly not me. Wait for it to unbreak I guess. >_>

Edit: Now unbroked. Hooray!

A Word About Scouting
I figured I should add this since NHL33 insists on spreading bad information.

For players on your team:
Unscouted 17yo shows ?Q/?P and blank loyalty.
Scouted 17yo shows Q/P and ?+/-.
Unscouted 18yo shows Q/?P and ?+/-.
Scouted 18yo and above shows everything.
At 20yo, an unscouted player will show their real loyalty.
At 22yo, an unscouted player will show their real P.

Scouting players on other teams gives you the real Q/P, but only the ?+/- loyalty.
At 29yo, every player's Q/P are revealed for everyone without scouting. You would have to scout for ?+/- loyalty, but who cares at that point.

Sometimes you will see someone asking for a Q/P check. This is because a scouted player can show wildly different unscouted ?Q/?Ps to the other members. This is usually for 18/19yo youth pulls and train & sells. At 18/19yo, a youth pull comes with their scouted Q. If you get a guy with 85Q and he's showing ?99Q, then you can probably sell that guy for a large chunk of change (depending on AI & potential, of course). Not everyone scouts a player before spending millions of dollars.

These unscouted ?Q/?Ps stay the same for the current season. They will change when the new season starts.

Everyone sees the same ?Q/?P for 17yo players unless they scout them. If you pull a 17yo showing ?85/?95, then everyone else will see him as ?85/?95.

How Good Is Your Player?
by Forsbergwannabe

Generally speaking a max-1 player with 90+ Q, who reaches 100 ai early in his 19th year will break 350 ai, unless very unlucky with injuries.
It is important to note that max-2 players training decline at the age of 24 vs 25 for max-1 and max players, which costs them about 10 ai that year alone often.

Example of an 92-93 Q max-1´s average training based on my own players:
Age 19: 50% = 35 ai
Age 20: 50% = 35 ai
Age 21: 42% = 29,4 ai
Age 22: 42% = 29,4 ai
Age 23: 42% = 29,4 ai
Age 24: 42% = 29,4 ai
Age 25: 27% = 18,9 ai
age 26: 22% = 15,4 ai
It drops about 3 percent every year at the age of 27 and onwards.

Total = 221,9 ai gained through 19 to 26, but more or less injuries/national team etc can make these numbers differ abit, but I hope people get the picture.
Then with max-2:
Age 19 to 23 is identical
Age 24: 26% = 18,2 ai
Age 25: 24% = 16,8 ai
Age 26: 20% = 14 ai

Like I said these numbers are based on my own players, but they should serve as a rough guideline.

Maximum Points Per Attribute
by Forsbergwannabe

I havent played PPM, but in HA there is definitely some sort of diminishing return on secondaries. The practical max skill is 1.5 x the players quality, but only attack, shot and defense should ever be close to that max imo. (He means a player with 100Q will lose training if you continue to train an attribute past 150) Based on my experience the below templates serve as a rough guide for the effectively max skill level on any ai player.

Goaltender: 150 speed, 150 goalie, 30 passing,25 self control.
Defense: 45 speed, 60 str, 30 self control, 40 passing, 35 shot, 20 attack, 150 defense.
Center: 20 speed, 40 str, 30 self control, 70 passing, 150 shot, 150 attack, 0 defense.
Wing: 35 speed, 10 str, 30 self control, 40 passing, 150 shot, 150 attack, 0 defense.

Not that I would recommend going 150 shot on a center, since they generally have fewer shots then wings and they desperatly need the ai for passing. (This doesn't mean ideal players need these Maximums to be their best. This is just the maximum that he would train each attribute. Although I don wonder if anyone has trained a goalie with 70 passing. Or wingers with 60 speed.)

Last edited:

tujague

Feb 13, 2005
We have another newbie guide from kdunbar. It covers a lot of the same stuff as NHL's, but it's got numbers!
"THE CANADIAN NEWBIE LIST"

A few words / warnings / for new guys ...

1) Many of your players have temporary free contracts. They will be automatically signed within a week. (Don't worry about it.)

2) Don't spend too much more than 100K until you are more comfortable with the game's economics. You start with 3 M, but this disappears fast and comes back slow. It's easy to overspend when an auction heats up. Give yourself a limit.

3) Building your Training / Regeneration / Youth School / Marketing to 20% right away. There are bonus on multiples of twenty. Consider Training and Regeneration to be equal and opposite, they don't really do anything different from one another. It's difficult to see at first, but just build them evenly and figure it out later. Assuming that your Training and Regeneration are equal, set your "Training Intensity" to 85%. More decreases your player's energy, less wastes training. Set training schedules immediately, never let your players idle for even one day and lose that training.

4) Don't add seats until you begin to sell out many league games. When you do decide to add seats, (many sell outs in a row, ticket price is above league average, etc...) build it in an increment that will have the purchased seats available for your next home game (not a friendly).

5) You get roughly 7M every Wednesday from fans. This is all that keeps your team afloat for awhile. As such, don't panic if you go into the negative balances - you can go as low as -15 M but with no available money but you might miss out on a good buy on the market or other opportunity. Again, wait until you better understand the economics.

6) With that being said, you will be able to find players for 100K who will become immediate starters. Check out the market either way, and get to know it. Also, don't fire anyone with 60 Quality or more without trying to sell them on the market.

7) Quality - Arguably the single most important stat a player has. It's how fast a player improves. Make sure your best quality players are playing, these players will be your stars in five seasons.

8) Potential - The longevity of your players. Your players lose approximately 6 potential points a year, and once they hit 0, they stop gaining skills. They also go beyond zero and start getting worse. (94 - 88 - 82 - 76 - 71 - 65 - 59 - 53 - 47 - 41 - 35 - 29 - 24 - 18 - 12 - 6 - 0 - -6 - -12 etc...)

Age-MAX-MIN Potential
17 = 94 = 59
18 = 88 = 53
19 = 82 = 47
20 = 76 = 41
21 = 71 = 35
22 = 65 = 29
23 = 59 = 24
24 = 53 = 18
25 = 47 = 12
26 = 41 = 6
27 = 35 = 0
28 = 29 = -6
29 = 24 = -12
30 = 18 = -18
31 = 12 = -24
32 = 6 = -29
33 = 0 = -35

9) Scouting - All your players "actually" have one of these values for potential. If you look though your players though, you'll see all kinds of numbers, falling in between these numbers. This is because your scouts haven't sized up the player yet. You learn the player's exact quality at 18 and potential at 22. Until then, your scouts make a guess. Under Team -> Scout you can choose a player to learn their exact value. This is important, players can be off by as much as 20%.

10) example A player with 90 Q and 60 P player compared with a player with 60 Q and 90 P with the same AI stats. The 90 Q guy will reach a higher AI level, but the 90 P guy will be around 5 seasons longer.

11) Book up all free days with friendlies to help with the cash flow. If possible, try to book away/visiting friendlies against high league opponents (I.I II.1 II.2). They have better stadiums than you and will make more money per game. Friendly income is split between the two teams.

12) Read and ask lots of questions! We'll help you out.

This is a guide from someone who doesn't post here. I thought it was filled with some interesting info, and he seems to go into more detail than the other two. It's a huge block of text right now. Hopefully I add some paragraphs to make it a bit easier to read.

Rachmede's Newbie Guide

This is meant to be a general introduction to one way of seeing the game for beginners. It is really a general approach because I do not intend to explain here in detail all the technicalities of the game (for example, how to well develop a winger or a center, how to properly build your lines). Instead I intend to give an overview of the "theoretical" foundations of the game and what to keep in mind to make your team progress. Here is advice from a player who has now over six seasons under the belt.

First and foremost, you need to understand that Hockey Arena is a long term game. Patience is a must and if you hope the adrenaline of a multiplayer shooter online, you're definitely not in the right place! To win in this game, you must realize that a player has a life cycle (related to his potential): he is primarily young and bad, then, with training and experience, he becomes well, possibly very good, then he will get older and eventually be good for retirement. It's the same for an entire team team, at least, if it is well built. I will explain further the idea of the life cycle of a team, even if I guess you can already understand it a little by analogy to the life cycle of a player, and I will get more in deteail on this in Section 3, but first, let start by the beginning!

1.Initially
You just have your team, your players are not good enough for your league and unfortunately it is useless to try to develop them because all sections of your arena is at 15%. In short, the group of players you inherit at the start will not get you anywhere. There may be a player with over 90 quality you can keep (I've personally had one that played during six seasons in my team and did a good job), but otherwise, if you hope to win immediately, you will have to buy better players.

That said, the first problem is that you get very little money to do so. The good news though is that it is quite possible in League VI to buy players between $ 100,000 and $ 300,000 and successfully promote to League V. Thus, with a budget of 4.5 million (not more, you'll need your money for something else), it is quite possible to build yourself a decent team to have fun right from the start. It is certainly possible to "buy a place in League IV", that is to say, to successfully buy players good enough to take you up League IV without investing in your arena, but even if the league level will increase your finances, you'll never be able to afford to buy players that will allow you to go higher because you will need to constantly buy new players to replace old ones. If you really want to make it to the higher leagues, "buying your place" in a higher league by purchasing a group of players to go there will not lead very far.

Also, since your training center is very low, it is useless to try to develop players, so there is no need to buy youth. Prefer the old players between 100 and 120 in AI that will give you 2 or 3 more seasons (12 to -6 potential), they are not expensive and can lead you in League V. It is equally useless to look at the quality of players since you cannot develop them and anyway old players do not really develop. However, their potential will be important because eventually you will have to replace them ... in 2 or 3 seasons, and you will see in the next section that 2 or 3 seasons is not arbitrary. Finally, try also to avoid players with high salaries, you will need the money to build your arena.

2. Arena: Training and Regeneration centres
When you start, all parts of your arena are at 15%, which is very low. The two most important features are the training and the regeneration centers. As you may have read elsewhere, they are equally important and must be developed in parallel since your players can train effectively only if they can recover from it. These two sections are most important since it is they who will eventually help you develop players, but more importantly, as we shall see in the next section, a group of players.

However, it is useless to consider developing players before you reach 80% in the training and regeneration centers. It is also useless to keep a good young player you drafted in the idea of developing him before reaching 80%. Before that, your players will not even train at 30% per day, which represents 21 points in a season on AI. Initially, you'll probably drive percentages below 20% (20% AI = 14 points per season, 15% = 10 points). When your training and regeneration centers will be 100%, you will be able to train 70 quality players to more than 30%, 80 quality players to over 40% and 90 quality players between 40 and 80%, if you're playing them. Thus, before 80% in the training center, sell the good young players you pull, you will need this money later!

Here is the charter of the number of days required to increase by 1% at all different levels of development:
* 0-24%: 1 day
* 25-49%: 2 days
* 50-74%: 3 days
* 75-99%: 4 days
* 100: 5 days
Thus, to reach 80% of development in your training and recovery centers, you'll need at least 149 days (or a little over 2 seasons) if you increase whenever you can. Achieving 100% you will take at least 230 days (or a little over 3 seasons). You may see now why, initially, it is wise to buy players that can give you 2 or 3 seasons, this group of players will get you to League V and allow you to experiment until you can start develop players.

In this sense, your first three seasons in Hockey Arena should serve you to increase your training and regeneration centers, to discover the game, to experiment with your lines, try the tactics and all the subtleties of the game, explore the market and learn what is the right price for a player etc.. That said, try not to overspend, because after those three seasons, you will need money to replace your old players by a group of promising youngsters that you will then be able to develop. Also, spending too much on the market may prevent you from having the money to invest in your arena.

3. Develop a first group of players
To fully develop the young players need to be in a team that has training and regeneration centers to 100% AND THEY MUST PLAY. After three seasons, training and regeneration should be at 100% (or almost), you may even have developed a few other sections of your arena. You will then stat to develop players. In fact, you will develop a group of players: 1 goalie (the backup may be a good level older guy for replacement in case of injury) and 15 players (plus a few cheap players in case of injury). These players will play ALL games, including friendlies, so they will train more and take more experience. Play only 3 lines, your players will have more ice time and will thus get more experience.

So you’ll need to buy 16 players between 17 and 19 years old with the best quality and the best possible potential. You will not have a huge budget at this point, but in sacrificing a little on the quality, the potential, the starting AI or the distribution of AI on players you when purchase them, it will be possible to buy players who will reach 200 IA at 25 years of age, which should allow you to have a team that will get you to III leagues.

Obviously, during the first 3 seasons, your team will be young and inexperienced. You must therefore expect and accept to lose. But your players will train and will gain experience. Your team will take on average between 20-25 points per season in IA and about 25 experience points per player per season. You can expect to get to III leagues in 6-8 seasons.

Meanwhile, since you do not spend money on buying players and you'll begin to earn performance bonuses (since your team will eventually be dominant), you will have enough money to primarily invest in your youth school and secondly in other sections of your arena.

Increasing your youth school is very important because it you will increase your chances to pull out some good players, in addition to increasing the starting AI of you players (starting AI of players is related to their quality and level of school club) . Thus, during the 5 or 6 first years of rebuilding your team, you should sell all good players you pull to make money (no need to keep them since they will not be on the same pace as the rest your team but of course you can keep them if the timing is good on your team). After six seasons, you can think of to keep them (if you're playing them immediately) for your next rebuild.

Meanwhile, it would also be wise to increase your scouting department, since it will be very useful during your second reconstruction. You will then pay much more for the players and it will be even more important to scout them before buying.

Also, in addition to developing the various sections of your arena, consider that you will need to accumulate a lot of money for your next reconstruction to minimize the compromises you will have to make in the purchase of your players. The more money you have, the better the players you’ll be able to buy, so you can go further with this second group and hope to have a winning team in League I.

4. develop a 2nd group

You will then certainly have enough experience in the game to know which players to buy. You will probably go down to League IV and hopefully go up league I.

Conclusion
A final word to explain the above. The approach proposed here is aimed at managers who wish to reach the League I. My approach is based on the assumption (verified) that the players needed to go to league I and be competitive are extremely rare on the market, when they are available it is too expensive to buy enough of them and they do not have enough seasons to give anyway. The only way to go in League I is to produce one's own players who will all be dominant at the same time.

To produce its players, a team must have training and regeneration centers at 100% and this requires three seasons (Phase 1). Once done, the managers will not have enough money to buy a sufficient number of players that will allow them to go to league I and compete there, so they must buy players not quite as good that cost them So much cheaper and develop a team that will allow them to get to League III (beginning of phase 2). As the team grows, the manager must build youth school and then scouting department (developing it too early is useless since it will then the manage will have to pay the daily cost) in addition to accumulate as much money as possible in anticipation of Phase 3. Getting to league III will allow manager to have fun, to learn even more about the game in addition to making more money by playing in higher leagues. At the end of phase 2, the manager should then have enough money (between $ 800M and $ 1 billion) to buy a group of young players who could eventually become good enough to lead the the team to league I and compete.

Here then, in conclusion, the general pattern:

Phase 1: Buy a bunch of old players and develop training and regeneration centers. Three seasons.

Phase 2: Buy a group of young players capable of leading the team in League III. Develop youth school and the scouting department and earn money for Phase 3.

Phase 3. : Buying players good enough to go to a league I and be patient.

tujague

Feb 13, 2005

9/12/12 - THIS NEEDS TO BE UPDATED BIG TIME!

Hockey's Future HockeyArena.net Players

Canada
~~ I ~~
nashnaidoo (aka tychaeus) - Cremona Titans - I.1
Tarmore|LDR - Blue Knights - I.1

~~ II ~~
AndySocial - White Crystals - V.5Almost Dead

~~ III ~~
Shane (aka butchmoniker) - Don't Cry for me Jan Hrdina - III.2
Megalinsky - HC Soju - III.3

~~ IV ~~
thecupismine - Fresh Prince - IV.2
Leafer|MOD - Brampton Bandits (Part II) - IV.4
Temm - Calgary Wire Flyers - IV.4
Montrealer - Saint Hubert Saints - IV.7

~~ V ~~
FreeAgents - Malvern HC - V.5
RW8 - Oakville Rangers - V.7
Cao - LoveBunnies - V.8
e-Mac - Medicine Hat Reapers - V.9
robotco - Temptation Meow - V.10
Ashe (aka AsheKaban) - Red Coat Killers - V.12

Croatia
~~ III ~~
mpozega - ★ HK Dubrava Penguins ★ - III.3

~~ IV ~~
croAvsfan (aka ciciban) - Zagreb Messerschmitts - IV.6

Denmark
~~ I ~~
Forsbergwannabe - Dark Hops - I.1 Two-time Champion

Finland
~~ II ~~
Frozen (aka Janizor) - Forbidden Finns - II.2

~~ IV ~~
Muddy - Canes - IV.5

~~ V ~~
Simah - HC Hipot - V.9
Phinor - Walrusian Candidates - V.10

Great Britain
~~ III ~~
Wicksy|NAT - Solihull Wolves - III.1

Netherlands
~~ II ~~

Slovakia
~~ IV ~~
MadArcand (aka silverbow) - Hartford Whalers tm - VII.21

USA
~~ I ~~
Snowman - Righteous Ones - I.1 congrats!
NHL33 - Starlight - I.1 My hero

~~ II ~~
njdevscup30- Ugliest Cows Ever - II.1
tujague - Bombsville Atomics -II.1
calvnnhobs - Rockridge Onions - II.2
Horsehouse - Never Summer HC - II.2
ez42x10 - Worcester Bruins - II.2

~~ III ~~
Smetana - HC Victoria Hornets - III.1 *I.1*
Chairman Mallard (aka UofoDucks15|NAT) - Tobias Funkes Never Nudes - III.1 U20 S.33-34 & 35-36 NT S.40-41
steelcable97 - Demolitia Totalus - III.1 *I.1*
GirouxGiroux - Airdrie Inferno - III.1
And You Feel Shame (aka ronvogel) - And You Feel Shame - III.1
Rune Forumwalker (aka Muuro) - Mainlanders - III.1
tgarrett29 - Frito Banditos - III.1
Acadmus (aka Crusher C) - Vermont Ragin Woodchucks - III.1
doubleminor138 - Bricklayers - III.1
Spillblood Maloney - Mobtown Hooligans - III.2
Vagrant - Raleigh Wolfpack - III.3

~~ IV ~~
braindeadalive (aka Florida) - West Palm Beach Blaze - IV.2
Miami Panther (aka cmag21) - Miami Matadors - IV.2
Go For It (aka FlyersFan21) - Pronger Physics - IV.7
Sabrefan2930 (aka Schweinsteiger) - Buffalo Tropics HC - IV.8

~~ V ~~

Removed List:

ower13 - Skavenblight Eshin - IV.4[3945]
WhenInRome - Thunder Chickens - IV.4[22246]
TKBomber7285 (aka TEK7285) - Flying Pigs - III.3[4001]
The Indestructible (aka fkohws) - The Indestructible - USA III.3[40574]
jax00 (aka DucksRule00) - Razor Scooters & Go Tarts - III.1[19248] US NT Manager S.32-35
hluraven - Bromley Ravens - I.1[7362]
SwimmingMatters - Exceleration - VI.16[44207]
Tomas Tatar - Surrey Sea Otters V.12[44344]
19metallica81 (aka Yeti_Guy) - Mississauga Majors - V.3[38451]
BarDown/Clarke (aka Ranger2992) - Rangerss - III.3[22188]
feichter- SJ Port City Foghawgs- II.1[36194]

Cagle.png

Matthew Cagle
National Hero
Of The World's
Universe Soul​

tujague

Feb 13, 2005
This is something relatively new. I've never messed with it, but there are people out there experimenting with some very interesting builds. Some are making actual checking lines and doing quite well with it. mplzen gave Mallard fits with his much stronger team. Took him to 3 games with a couple of teenage goalies. Impressive.

The leading scorer among defensemen in US I.1 had a wacky build with 70 shot & 70 pass. That's very cool if he can keep scoring like that each season.

Tactical breakdowns

PURE DEF
0,32 x defense + 0,64 x strength + 0,4 x experience
Max : 150 def, 50 strength, 50 EXP

OFFENSIVE DEF
0,35555 x defense + 0,46 x offense + 0,4 x shooting + 0,4 x experience
Max : 90 defense, 50 offense, 40 shooting, 50 experience

CREATIVE DEF
0,284 x defense + 0,565 x passing + 0,24 x speed + 0,4 x experience
Max : 120 defense, 55 passing, 25 speed, 50 experience

BLUELINER DEF
0,272 x defense + 0,44 x shooting + 0,66 x passing + 0,4 experience
Max : 100 defense, 60 shooting, 40 passing, 50 experience

SPEEDY DEF
0,2285 x defense + 0,8 speed + 0,4 x experience
Max : 140 defense, 60 speed, 50 experience

PLAYMAKER OFF
0,314 x offense + 0,65 x passing + 0,5 x strength + 0,4 x experience
Max : 140 offense, 40 passing, 20 strength, 50 experience

CREATIVE OFF
0,4 x offense + 0,4 x passing + 0,4 x speed + 0,4 x experience
Max : 80 offense, 80 passing, 40 speed, 50 experience

POWER OFF
0,247 x offense + 0,685 x strength + 0,4 x experience
Max : 130 offense, 70 strength, 50 experience

SPEEDY OFF
0,215 x offense + 0,867 x speed + 0,4 x experience
Max : 130 offense, 60 speed, 50 experience

SNIPER OFF
0,56 x offense + 0,347 x shooting + 0,4 x experience
Max : 50 offense, 150 shooting, 50 experience

tujague

Feb 13, 2005
I offered a 1.5M bonus to win the first game of round 2 on Low:laugh: Up to Heavenly for today's NCHC match. I match up pretty well with my opponent

Now that I've secured one more season up in I.1, it's fire sale time. I'll be redefining "suck" next season. :nod:

Are you going to stick with the homegrown thing again?

one win away from II.1 and I'll be at home for game 2 and my TS is still in decent shape. I still throw a huge win bonus at this one and not risk this going to 3.

First time back to II since the relaunch of the Bandits?

Seven seasons into the rebuild, the Hornets are a win away from returning to I.1.

And, barring any upsets along the way, it would seem Ducky and I are headed for yet another rematch in the championship. One of these days, I'll actually beat him.

That should be fun to watch:) How good is your team, smetana? Will you come in challenging for the title right away?

1 win away from my first time in I.1 in my teams 6 year history! Pretty pumped.

Congrats!

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
That should be fun to watch:) How good is your team, smetana? Will you come in challenging for the title right away?

I suppose we'd have to wait and see ;)

I'm loving my core players, not sure about the goalie. He's getting long in the tooth, and I may need to shell out some bucks for a replacement.

ez42x10

Dec 6, 2005
Wistah Mass
epitomeofdog.com
Everyone with a 6 P or less is gone...

13.09 - Player Samuel Justice was sold for 17 815 106 to team HC-K Brno.
13.09 - Player Stewie Perkins was sold for 9 004 070 to team HC Dadák Vsetín.
13.09 - Player Michael Brownlee was sold for 128 000 000 to team Potraviny Plzen.
13.09 - Player Jamie Goodrich was sold for 70 987 568 to team Hakkapeliitat.
13.09 - Player Michael Nickerson was sold for 5 150 000 to team The Reservoir Dogs.
13.09 - Player Seth Calloway was sold for 30 000 to team Tuusulan Pingviinit.
13.09 - Player Vernon Friend was sold for 8 240 000 to team Hc Washington Capitals.

RW8

Feb 10, 2004
Looks like I made it to III.2 for the first time, not sure the team is quite ready.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Congrats tujague, it looks like you locked up a spot in the WL next season. And you get to fight for the I.1 title this season. Best case scenario is you snag a I.1 title and finish 3rd in the NCHC. That would be epic, good luck!

Also looking at those numbers for the tactical breakdowns, and hearing about the success with using them, makes me want to try an experiment with them with my next few young players. Perhaps making a line with a sniper winger, a playmaker/creative center, and the other winger being either power or speedy.

tujague

Feb 13, 2005
Congrats on the promotions, tgarrett and RW8!

Did anyone check out Ducky? He must have promoted this time, right? Holy crap. 1-1 with the Razorback Thugs. Dude. Come on.

Yup, I'm stubborn like that. And I just might have a young goalie that can help me get it done this time.

You are a male chicken. How in the hell can you completely rebuild with homegrown youth after having a completely homegrown team for so long? That seriously wouldn't be possible for me if I had any desire to be competitive.

I suppose we'd have to wait and see ;)

I'm loving my core players, not sure about the goalie. He's getting long in the tooth, and I may need to shell out some bucks for a replacement.

Have I mentioned that I'm scared of your team? I have a pretty small window and you breathing down my neck is quite annoying.

tujague

Feb 13, 2005
Congrats tujague, it looks like you locked up a spot in the WL next season. And you get to fight for the I.1 title this season. Best case scenario is you snag a I.1 title and finish 3rd in the NCHC. That would be epic, good luck!

Yeah. Good season so far. But I need to win a title for it to mean anything. I'm kinda pissed about the NCHC semis. Hours before the match, I lowered the win bonus right before the match and switched to 60/60/40 lines times to keep the kids off the ice more. Lost by 1 goal (a bit more bonus would have helped?) and gave up 2 third period goals (probably because my team was tired).

Also looking at those numbers for the tactical breakdowns, and hearing about the success with using them, makes me want to try an experiment with them with my next few young players. Perhaps making a line with a sniper winger, a playmaker/creative center, and the other winger being either power or speedy.

This is one of the coolest parts about HA. Those people using the new strategies and having success just blows the game wide open, in my opinion. It really makes things exciting again and I can't wait to start replacing some of the old guys and developing players with the new options.

Marian Gaborik

Sep 20, 2005
You are a male chicken. How in the hell can you completely rebuild with homegrown youth after having a completely homegrown team for so long? That seriously wouldn't be possible for me if I had any desire to be competitive.

My team is pretty much entirely home grown save for 3 or 4 players and that number will drop next season when I swap out a couple of aging vets for some youth.

I'm going to need to look for a young goalie next season, my current one only has a few more seasons left and this will give me time to groom a new one.

Off to II.1 after a 4-3 OT win. Team took a ridiculous amounts of penalties this game (13), thats the first time all season they've taken anywhere near that many. Couldn't have picked a worse time to do it too hahahahaha

Marian Gaborik

Sep 20, 2005

My team is pretty much entirely home grown save for 3 or 4 players and that number will drop next season when I swap out a couple of aging vets for some youth.

I'm going to need to look for a young goalie next season, my current one only has a few more seasons left and this will give me time to groom a new one.

Off to II.1 after a 4-3 OT win. Team took a ridiculous amounts of penalties this game (13), thats the first time all season they've taken anywhere near that many. Couldn't have picked a worse time to do it too :laugh:

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
Congrats on the promotions, tgarrett and RW8!

Did anyone check out Ducky? He must have promoted this time, right? Holy crap. 1-1 with the Razorback Thugs. Dude. Come on.

Have I mentioned that I'm scared of your team? I have a pretty small window and you breathing down my neck is quite annoying.

I played on low, because I didn't want to go for broke on high on the road, and leave TS in shambles for the home game 3. I had the absolute worst possible first round opponent. I would have taken any other team in the league other than smetana or head hog in the first round.

As it is TS isn't great, but now I can go on high at home in game 3. Either way, Smetana will steamroll me or head hog in the finals.

Neeeeaaaal

Waffles Are Good
Mar 13, 2007
Dormont, PA
Woooo!

I know it's insignificant to everyone else, but I won a 5 Overtime marathon game today to stretch my League's (IV.3) Consolation playoff series to a third game, which I will likely lose tomorrow.

My teams always kind of had a knack for these marathon games. Before I stopped playing before, I think I had at least one other 5 Overtime game, and maybe a 4 as well. Oh, the drama.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
A team whose manager hasn't logged in in a month took me to triple-OT in a must-win playout game. I'm not sure entirely what just happened, but III just flashed before my eyes.

FML, now two of my key players are low on energy and I have another must-win this next game.

:scared:

Could have sworn I had this settled, but the guy below me hasn't lost!

EDIT: I feel like the Cardinals.

Last edited:

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
Either way, Smetana will steamroll me or head hog in the finals.

You always say that, and I haven't topped you yet in a playoff series :laugh:

It doesn't matter, though. Due to the anti-climactic nature of the playoff system, the second round is more important. I'm thrilled to be headed back to the big boys' league.

The first time around, seven seasons ago, I made it to I.1, but I knew my team was not built to last long there, so i immediately blew it up and dropped back down. This time, I'm built to (hopefully) stay there, and to be competitive.

Still not sure about the goalie. I've had a long-time policy of not publishing player attributes in these threads, but I'll break that policy to get your opinions. My netmider steamrolled II.1 this season (1.12 GAA, .937 save pct., 31 wins so far). His attributes are GOAL 131, SPEED 75, TOTAL AI 233, EXP 271. But, -12 potential, headed to -18. I'd think his xp total will keep him competitive for at least one more season, but what do you guys think?

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Still not sure about the goalie. I've had a long-time policy of not publishing player attributes in these threads, but I'll break that policy to get your opinions. My netmider steamrolled II.1 this season (1.12 GAA, .937 save pct., 31 wins so far). His attributes are GOAL 131, SPEED 75, TOTAL AI 233, EXP 271. But, -12 potential, headed to -18. I'd think his xp total will keep him competitive for at least one more season, but what do you guys think?

I think the rest of your team is good enough that you should replace him ASAP.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
You always say that, and I haven't topped you yet in a playoff series :laugh:

It doesn't matter, though. Due to the anti-climactic nature of the playoff system, the second round is more important. I'm thrilled to be headed back to the big boys' league.

The first time around, seven seasons ago, I made it to I.1, but I knew my team was not built to last long there, so i immediately blew it up and dropped back down. This time, I'm built to (hopefully) stay there, and to be competitive.

Yeah I always say it but this time I'm sure of it. Your team is better for probably the first time. The other times we were at least even I'd say. You dominated all season long, and my TS is in far worse shape assuming I win than it has been in all of our previous championship series. I just hope I can pull out the win today. Motivation for the match is saying 98%, so I should at least have a shot.

tujague

Feb 13, 2005

I don't know how you guys do it. I couldn't do it years ago when my YS was good and I had lower standards. The YS has been a lot better lately. No studs, but certainly useful players if you love love love strength. I still coudn't field a whole team of youth pulls. I pretty much keep any decent (and some less than decent) as my train & sells because I'm too lazy to go on the market anymore. I've only had a handful reach 200AI before they're 25yo in the last 10-15 seasons.

I've had the top goalie in I.1 for two seasons running:nod: He dominated last season, but I didn't even notice it this season. He was in 4th or 5th most of the time. I benched him the last two games so Muuro could abuse my inexperienced backup (oops!). Everyone else must have sucked. Anyway. His stats:
130Goal 32Pass 108Spd 21SCo
29yo 301AI 191Exp

Get a new goalie asap. Exp obviously isn't as important as we thought.

ez42x10

Dec 6, 2005
Wistah Mass
epitomeofdog.com

Like I said, stubborn. I'm not really going to be competitive for a few more seasons now though. I figure I'll probably drop down to a III league before I start to turn it around again and my goalie should be pretty decent by then. If I was going to drop the home grown thing, I should have done that 2 or 3 seasons ago and bought a goalie that could have been competitive up in I.1. I may have to drop my standards a bit IRT the players I keep from my youth pulls though - the roster is really thin right now.

Good luck in the finals - win this thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad