Hockey and Covid outbreaks

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I assume there are a bunch of people here that have already been out there playing some shinny or league. So how's that going? Any little (or bigger) outbreaks happen? Know of people that have caught covid from hockey? I haven't heard much of anything regarding that myself (I haven't been out yet) so I assume it may either be that it's actually somewhat safe... or guys are maybe just hiding the fact that covid is spreading in the hockey circles yet don't want people to know for fear of the authorities shutting rinks down? I haven't heard a peep regarding any hockey covid spread which is a bit suspicious given that I know from hearsay that there's some neglect in proper protocols (ie in the dressing rooms). Or maybe it's just a matter of time in the fall/winter.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
my league came back June 22nd. 2 days after the first game, we had a player diagnosed with COVID. he ended up in the ICU but is now better. over the next 2+ months we had several players diagnosed with COVID, fortunately most cases were "mild". there were a few more hospitalizations but most folks just got really sick and then recovered. some are still feeling effects.
is it "somewhat safe"? well, that depends on your fellow players actually staying home when they don't feel well. there is no way to socially distance in a hockey game but simple things like not sharing water bottles and staying out of peoples faces will help.
everyone has to weigh the risks for themselves to decide if it's worth it.
note: I live in a top 10 COVID state. YMMV.

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
my league came back June 22nd. 2 days after the first game, we had a player diagnosed with COVID. he ended up in the ICU but is now better. over the next 2+ months we had several players diagnosed with COVID, fortunately most cases were "mild". there were a few more hospitalizations but most folks just got really sick and then recovered. some are still feeling effects.
is it "somewhat safe"? well, that depends on your fellow players actually staying home when they don't feel well. there is no way to socially distance in a hockey game but simple things like not sharing water bottles and staying out of peoples faces will help.
everyone has to weigh the risks for themselves to decide if it's worth it.
note: I live in a top 10 COVID state. YMMV.

Thanks for sharing. May I ask what age group you're talking about? I assume maybe it's a wide range with your league. Do they have an idea if the covid cases were actually spread at hockey or the guys just contracted it elsewhere?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I just finished playing the Summer rolller hockey season on two different teams and AFAIK there were no infections or spread in any of the divisions or anything. Worked out pretty good. I'm in the Tri-state area where infections seem to have leveled out for the most part.

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I just finished playing the Summer rolller hockey season on two different teams and AFAIK there were no infections or spread in any of the divisions or anything. Worked out pretty good. I'm in the Tri-state area where infections seem to have leveled out for the most part.

As long as people are being safe (not coming while sick, isolating after travel or potential exposure etc) it should be relatively ok. The danger areas imo are the dressing room and maybe the bench if there's a lot of chatter and guys get too close.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Is this indoor or outdoor?

I've played some outdoor roller, no problems there. But my ice league is in a county that's still shut down.

I don't know if I'll go back when it first reopens. My elderly parents are in my COVID bubble.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is this indoor or outdoor?

I've played some outdoor roller, no problems there. But my ice league is in a county that's still shut down.

I don't know if I'll go back when it first reopens. My elderly parents are in my COVID bubble.

indoor.

fall season starts up this week, will be interesting to see what happens in the fall when temperatures go down. Not just in hockey but life/the world in general and the virus.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As long as people are being safe (not coming while sick, isolating after travel or potential exposure etc) it should be relatively ok. The danger areas imo are the dressing room and maybe the bench if there's a lot of chatter and guys get too close.

No locker rooms. mask required when in the facility. socially distanced chairs to get dressed. no friends/family/spectators allowed in to watch. they spray the chairs and benches down periodically every day. specific doors designated as entrances and exits only. etc.

i agree, the bench would be the biggest conduit for transfer. they do all they realistically can but if a player is aysmptomatic and has it, there's not much that might stop it from spreading on the bench once you're out there.

like i said in a previous post, fall/winter seasons will be interesting.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
There was an outbreak at a local rink on a youth team, 16 players tested positive. No coaches or staff tested positive interestingly enough.

This was early September.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad