Hockey Analytics

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
MIT Conference on hockey analytics

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/panels-2/2011-2/hockey-analytics/

panel is made of Stan Bowman, GM of the Hawks, and player personnel people of the Penguins, Kings and Capitals.

I'm posting the link as I'm watching the conference but they're discussing subjects such as ES production vs PP production and so on

so, there you have it for people who don't believe at all in stats and whatnot

M A K A V E L I*

Why do they have Bean in the backdrop for a hockey analytics conference?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Why do they have Bean in the backdrop for a hockey analytics conference?

because they're in one of the main rooms that's used for various conferences. Btw, it's probably more for Battier than for Bryant. Morey, GM of the Rockets, plays a big role in that conference every year. Battier ... Rockets player ... is sort of the poster child for basketball analystics since the article written on him in the New York Times telling how valuable he was to the team despite posting average numbers ... or at least, typical numbers people look at from which we always say, oh well stats are bs, why that stuff ... anyways, they don't change the backdrop for every conference

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
The conference was a month ago and it was on sports analytics, not just hockey. Hockey was the least represented of the majors team sports.

Analytics have potential. People on this board throw around numbers and statistics. Statistics =/= Analytics. Statistics go into analytics but much, much more goes in to analytics than just numbers. Analytics is about picking and choosing the right numbers and then making sure that what you've assembled is actually has predictive power.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
That was a pretty interesting video.

Like they said, hockey is such a hard game to analyze due to its team component and liquidity of the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->