Hockey Analytics

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Realized we didn't have a thread, and considering I'm trying to go into hockey analytics/data analytics for a career change, I thought it'd be good to have this thread, just for any hodgepodge of analytics talk anyone wants to have.
----------
My first bit of work from the past 4 hours - Analyzing Zacha during the '19-'20 season, using With or Without You (WOWY) metrics (all situations). Idea was taken after seeing HockeyViz had data available, but I didn't want to pay for the Patreon lolol. Also used Natural Stat Trick as a reference for raw data.

Keep in mind, that the data is very limited, as it's only from this season (w Hynes is ~22 games, w Nas is ~40 games).

In summary, WOWY is an attempt to measure impact of a given player, relative to another player. What you see graphed is the CF/60 against the CA/60 in the games sampled.
----------

PB2bhRg.png

Tableau Public

Z2lkgmW.png

Tableau Public

----------
Under Hynes
From the graphs, we can see that Bratt was actually better with Zacha during this ~22 game stretch, generating ~12 more CF with him. Obviously, Zacha benefitted the most from playing with Bratt, as his CA/CF #s were horrendous, but keep in mind he was also playing a good chunk of minutes with Simmonds and Wood, though he found himself with Bratt the most.

The spread with Gusev isn't as extreme, which makes sense considering Gusev struggled earlier on in the season (12 pts under Hynes, 32 under Nasreddine). That being said, Gusev is still clearly the better player, and them playing together averages out their performance.

Under Nasreddine
As you can see from the chart, Zacha is just an abysmal player without either Bratt or Gusev. The CA/CF ratio is really bad when he's without either of them. But a large amount of his time under Nas was spent with Hughes and Wood. Zacha/Bratt/Gusev didn't become a line until 2/20, which only left them 7 full games together. We can see, overall, that Zacha was a positive-impact player on Gusev under Nas. The impact on Bratt looks negative, but I believe it's because Bratt played a lot of positive Corsi time on the top line (without Zacha). Overall, Zacha does help on the defensive end, but maybe not as much offensively.

Where I think the magic is is in the ~10-game stretch these 3 had together. In summary, they as a unit were more than the sum of their parts. Their CF% (all situations) was a 56.17%, which may not seem like a lot, but considering the team CF% WITHOUT these 3 in that span of games was a 42.94%, they did pretty well. Gusev, while amazing in his own right, is just not as good without Zacha to help him out defensively.
----------
In summary, I think I'm willing to give Zacha the benefit of the doubt based on these #s, and my two take aways are:

1. These three should continue to build off the chemistry they have. One common trend in these two charts are that Zacha does add the defense, and in some cases can help offense, and I don't know if I want to mess with that.

2. Keep Zacha and Wood away from each other. It doesn't work.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Realized we didn't have a thread, and considering I'm trying to go into hockey analytics/data analytics for a career change, I thought it'd be good to have this thread, just for any hodgepodge of analytics talk anyone wants to have.
----------
My first bit of work from the past 4 hours - Analyzing Zacha during the '19-'20 season, using With or Without You (WOWY) metrics (all situations). Idea was taken after seeing HockeyViz had data available, but I didn't want to pay for the Patreon lolol. Also used Natural Stat Trick as a reference for raw data.

Keep in mind, that the data is very limited, as it's only from this season (w Hynes is ~22 games, w Nas is ~40 games).

In summary, WOWY is an attempt to measure impact of a given player, relative to another player. What you see graphed is the CF/60 against the CA/60 in the games sampled.
----------

PB2bhRg.png

Tableau Public

Z2lkgmW.png

Tableau Public

----------
Under Hynes
From the graphs, we can see that Bratt was actually better with Zacha during this ~22 game stretch, generating ~12 more CF with him. Obviously, Zacha benefitted the most from playing with Bratt, as his CA/CF #s were horrendous, but keep in mind he was also playing a good chunk of minutes with Simmonds and Wood, though he found himself with Bratt the most.

The spread with Gusev isn't as extreme, which makes sense considering Gusev struggled earlier on in the season (12 pts under Hynes, 32 under Nasreddine). That being said, Gusev is still clearly the better player, and them playing together averages out their performance.

Under Nasreddine
As you can see from the chart, Zacha is just an abysmal player without either Bratt or Gusev. The CA/CF ratio is really bad when he's without either of them. But a large amount of his time under Nas was spent with Hughes and Wood. Zacha/Bratt/Gusev didn't become a line until 2/20, which only left them 7 full games together. We can see, overall, that Zacha was a positive-impact player on Gusev under Nas. The impact on Bratt looks negative, but I believe it's because Bratt played a lot of positive Corsi time on the top line (without Zacha). Overall, Zacha does help on the defensive end, but maybe not as much offensively.

Where I think the magic is is in the ~10-game stretch these 3 had together. In summary, they as a unit were more than the sum of their parts. Their CF% (all situations) was a 56.17%, which may not seem like a lot, but considering the team CF% WITHOUT these 3 in that span of games was a 42.94%, they did pretty well. Gusev, while amazing in his own right, is just not as good without Zacha to help him out defensively.
----------
In summary, I think I'm willing to give Zacha the benefit of the doubt based on these #s, and my two take aways are:

1. These three should continue to build off the chemistry they have. One common trend in these two charts are that Zacha does add the defense, and in some cases can help offense, and I don't know if I want to mess with that.

I think my eyes just glazed over :(

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
----------

----------

PB2bhRg.png

Tableau Public

Z2lkgmW.png

Tableau Public

----------
Under Hynes

Under Nasreddine

----------

Well done, nice use of graphs here, very clear to see whats going on. Do more.

Also consider situational play, ie, with a lead, or trailing. Forget which site it was, but there was one which tracked level of competition.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think the message is :

Zacha isn't as bad as we thought he was

Goose is Goose

And Bratt isn't as good as we thought he was........HEY WAIT A SECOND HERE!!! :whaaa?:

:P
I dunno I thought the graphs didn't paint Zaha in too favorable a light.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I dunno I thought the graphs didn't paint Zaha in too favorable a light.
Zacha had some nice offensive numbers at the end of the season when he was playing with Gusev and Bratt, and both of them had good numbers when Zacha was on the ice with him. But his early season offense is nothing special and his defensive numbers were abysmal all year. Like one of the worst in the league bad.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Floating this out here - this is a project I worked on on my own (goalie data from the '18-'19 season).

The linked is an interactive chart of goalie sv% (min 40gp), sorted by shot type and side the shot was on. You can see how goalies stacked up to other ones, and the bars are how each goalie performed, relative to the average sv% in each category.

AqtEoq4.png

Tableau Public

looking for feedback, and wondering if i should expand this out to the current season

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I might need someone with an analytics background to help me explain the NHL’s tiebreaker rules to a friend who is new to hockey :sarcasm:. Seriously, what the hell is Superior Points Percentage ? Lucky for me there are 6 more rules succeeding to catch them up on.

New Fans be like :help:...

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I might need someone with an analytics background to help me explain the NHL’s tiebreaker rules to a friend who is new to hockey :sarcasm:. Seriously, what the hell is Superior Points Percentage ? Lucky for me there a 6 more rules succeeding to catch up them up on.

New Fans be like :help:...

You just reminded me of when I tried to describe the rules of Baseball to my Greek friend who never played it before.

You think it's simple... until you actually try to describe it. How a runner can run past 1st base, but has to be on other bases, foul balls and how they're a strike until there's already 2, unless you try to bunt. Infield fly. Forced outs. It's actually rather insane. It's like every rule has an exception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad