Hockey’s Future Top 50 NHL Prospects, 21-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
SmokeyClause said:
Upshall and Suter are on the list because they have hype that transcends their fanbase. But these lists, if I am not mistaken, are made by many writers from many team pages. They came together, pool their thoughts and come up with a list. The Preds don't have a writer who is able to contribute to the list, so we are going to come up a tad underrepresented. It's the nature of the beast.

And why we fall in our overall rank, following what looks to be our best draft in Pred history :/

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Starsdude said:
Stars look like they will be shutout although Erikkson has outplayed Nillson this year. Daley also misses although at 20 has logged NHL time. The goalies are always hard to gauge and Cash has been inconsistent. Guys like Jokinin and Miettinen surely as much upside as Upshall or Kesler. Really I think Daley and Erikkson deserve mention

Agreed 100%..

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
IMO Toivonen should be ranked ahead or Oulette. I feel hes the third best Goal prospect out there right now behind MA Fluerry and Kari Lehtonen

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
PEli said:
Vrana and Khomutov? Plus Suglobov and Pihlman coming over from Europe and making an impact in Albany. Not to mention guys like Voros and Tallackson having decent seasons.

Maybe I'm just a homer.

I'll call homer (in this isolated instance).

Every team has their Voros and Tallackson (even though I have a personal soft spot for our Voros). Maybe Vrana could crack a top 50 list (somewhere in the 40s), but I'd not really expect to see Khomutov, Suglubov, or Pihlman on these lists. I'd bet in a top 100 list they'd be in the 60-90 range.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
bruins8152 said:
IMO Toivonen should be ranked ahead or Oulette. I feel hes the third best Goal prospect out there right now behind MA Fluerry and Kari Lehtonen

Have you ever seen Ouellet play?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Hitman said:
Ryan Getzlaf

"His offensive upside is not significant, but he should be a solid second-line center for the Ducks. It is possible that Getzlaf could push for a roster spot as soon as next year."

I must say I am very disapointed with this one. After watching this year, how can you say he doesn't have a nice offensive upside. He led the Hitmen in scoring despote playing very few games. Plus he contended for a roster spot THIS year in Anaheim. One would figure he'll have one next year.

Also no mention of his WHL 1st Team All-Star nod. Which is pretty significant seeing as the number of games he played.

Agreed. When I saw him last year I saw potential 1st line NHLer skills and certainly nothing's changed. Getzlaf has significant offensive upside IMO.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
sveiglar said:

Every team has their Voros and Tallackson (even though I have a personal soft spot for our Voros). Maybe Vrana could crack a top 50 list (somewhere in the 40s), but I'd not really expect to see Khomutov, Suglubov, or Pihlman on these lists. I'd bet in a top 100 list they'd be in the 60-90 range.
I don't think PEli was talking about the top 50 list, he was talking about Organization rankings to Enoch whosaid he thoughht NJ should be where they were last year.

I thought Suglobov should have made it. Ftorek seems to think these are his last games as a rat. I also thought being on the World Championship team for russia last year while scoring three goals along with his solid AHL start would garner some votes.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
bruins8152 said:
The Hockey News Top 50 also supports this theory with Toivonen ranked as the 11th ranked overall player and the third goalie behind Lehtonen and Miller(Fleury was not on their list.)

Oulette was 35th ranked.

I personally could continue to slag their list too...Jani Rita as the 41st best NHL prospect? I could name easily 75 prospects off the top of my head that I would rather have than him, without even thinking too hard. Christ, I can think of 4 Oiler prospects I would rather have than Rita. Those NHL executives are boneheads....(/sarcasm)

One thing I considered doing is going through all the Top 50 threads and compiling all of the players that HF posters thought should be on the list. Naturally I would end up with a list of 300 players so the point would be moot. :D

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'm just miffed at the idea that their rankings are partially based on age and development rate of some players.

Ouellet has done nothing wrong but get stuck in the wrong system. If you're going to rank Toivonen higher, explain why. Both 'tenders are big, quick, agile butterfly style players. Ouellet has two wins and a shutout for the Caps seeing limited time behind an awful d-unit.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
EroCaps said:
I'm just miffed at the idea that their rankings are partially based on age and development rate of some players.

Ouellet has done nothing wrong but get stuck in the wrong system. If you're going to rank Toivonen higher, explain why. Both 'tenders are big, quick, agile butterfly style players. Ouellet has two wins and a shutout for the Caps seeing limited time behind an awful d-unit.

Age has to be factored, no matter what.(What weight any individual puts on age depends on the individual.)

For example, Toivonen by the numbers seems to be close to Ouellet's equal. He is also 3 years younger. Doesn't that give him three years development so that by Maxime's present age his top end might be higher. Whether or not people say that they have some of these biases, they probably do.

SwOOsh*

slats432 said:
Age has to be factored, no matter what.(What weight any individual puts on age depends on the individual.)

For example, Toivonen by the numbers seems to be close to Ouellet's equal. He is also 3 years younger. Doesn't that give him three years development so that by Maxime's present age his top end might be higher. Whether or not people say that they have some of these biases, they probably do.

I think Toivonen should be higher then Max. But not the other 2.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Little surprised and glad to see the goalie representation at all in this list. Toivonen, Leclaire, Bryzgalov, and Ouellet. I may not remember the old list very well but I dont recall seeing as many backstoppers. To my recollection Lehtonen, and Leclaire took spots. Yet it all seems that these 4 may be studs but the road is gonna be a long one.

Toivonen - Raycroft 23 yrs
Leclaire - Denis 26
Bryzgalov - Giguere 26
Ouellet - Kolzig 33 (strongest tender system ever, yet still best chance to appear first)

On a side note if anyone still has there hands on the archive link to the old list fill the rest of us in for a little comparison.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Z-Diddy said:
Little surprised and glad to see the goalie representation at all in this list. Toivonen, Leclaire, Bryzgalov, and Ouellet. I may not remember the old list very well but I dont recall seeing as many backstoppers. To my recollection Lehtonen, and Leclaire took spots. Yet it all seems that these 4 may be studs but the road is gonna be a long one.

Toivonen - Raycroft 23 yrs
Leclaire - Denis 26
Bryzgalov - Giguere 26
Ouellet - Kolzig 33 (strongest tender system ever, yet still best chance to appear first)

On a side note if anyone still has there hands on the archive link to the old list fill the rest of us in for a little comparison.
At your service sir,

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/2001top50.php
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/2002top50/top50.htm

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Anthony Loring said:
Have you ever seen Toivonen play...AHL or World Juniors where he helped carry Finland to a Bronze?
I was hoping someone would say that. Toivonen Is ranked very low in this list. I was thinking he was Top15 easy. Can't believe Mark Stuart is ranked higher!

The Jerk*

these players still haven't been named and I expect them to be in the top 20, that leaves 2 more...

Grigorenko
Suter
Coburn
Lehtonen
Marc-Andre Fleury
Ryan Miller
Anthony Stewert
Zherdev
Phaneuf
Michalek
Mark Stuart
Kasistyn
Vanek
Parise
Carter
Tyutin
O'Sullivan
Grebeshkov

PEli*

sveiglar said:

No, no, no. You got me all wrong. I was referring to the reason that the Devils as an organization went to #4 in the rankings.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
vik said:
these players still haven't been named and I expect them to be in the top 20, that leaves 2 more...

Grigorenko
Suter
Coburn
Lehtonen
Marc-Andre Fleury
Ryan Miller
Anthony Stewert
Zherdev
Phaneuf
Michalek
Mark Stuart
Kasistyn
Vanek
Parise
Carter
Tyutin
O'Sullivan
Grebeshkov

Personally I am amazed that Grigorenko is still on anyone's list.(And I do not know if he is on the HF list.) I thought him an amazing prospect until his accident, but until he proves he still deserves to be there, then I think he should be dropped. Only personal opinion though.

The Jerk*

slats432 said:
Personally I am amazed that Grigorenko is still on anyone's list.(And I do not know if he is on the HF list.) I thought him an amazing prospect until his accident, but until he proves he still deserves to be there, then I think he should be dropped. Only personal opinion though.

hey, I agree with you 100%...all I was posting were the players that I believe will be on the list, not who should ;)

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
slats432 said:

I'm assuming he's made the list. In the first article, Detroit is mentioned as a team that is well represented. Right now Hudler and Kronwall made the grade. If only those guys made it then I don't see how they would have done great. 2 guys is about average on there right?

Grigorenko played 6 games in December with the third tier league getting 4 points. And recently he played 2 playoff games for Lada Togliatti's RSL team with no points. As far as he has played in those games you would have to ask someone who saw them.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
glad to see hudler make the top 25, although i dont think steen is low enough, because i thought eriksson would have definitly made the list and steen is better then him and is already on it, so im not really understanding the list really...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
What does Cam Ward have to do to get some respect? Change his name to Kari Lehtonen? :p

I'm still holding out hope that Kahnberg made the top 20 prospects list. If not, i'm losing lots of respect for this list. ;)

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Sure Oulette is good, he will definitely be pushing Kolzig out in Washington soon. He does have a great chance to be the number one since Kolzig is ending his contract and is what... 33? 34?

But the best goaltender in there is probably Bryzgalov. Not only based on stats, but when he has been called up he has performed, never been rattled even by fluke goals that put his team down. He just remained calm, stopped the shots, got to overtime, and made the big saves to allow his team to win. He also has one of the fastest glove hands I've seen in a goaltender. Sure Toivenen and LeClaire are good goalie prospects, but they aren't as mature or ready as Bryzgalov is imo. But we shall see.

Well placed choice:
Eric Fehr, that kid will be something special

Biggest snub:
Suglobov, how this guy is overlooked is beyond me.

Sleepers I was hoping to make the list:
Jason Pominville
Jussi Jokinen
Anton Babchuk (pretty sure he was left off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->