Hockey’s Future Top 50 NHL Prospects, 11-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Fedz said:
Mikko Koivu shouldn't even be on the list.

becasue highly skiled playmakers with size and strength enough to not get knocked off the puck are a dime a dozen. :shakehead

While I agree he shouldn't be #17 he belongs on that list. Probably in the 20-30 range, but his set of Size and skill, and witht this years point production...well, he deserves to be on the list.

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
It seems to me (in fact its obvious) that all the complaints are HOMERISMS to coin a phrase. Of course Ducks fans think Getzlaf deserves top whatever and Bruins think Toivonen deserves this, and Rangers fans think Dawes was screwed, yada yada yada. Appreciate the list for what it is! Sure there are objective criticisms, but I see the same people complaining about the same home team prospects that were missed, left off, ranked too low too high etc... Get over it :rant:

Great work guys, look forward to the top ten

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
chaachie12 said:
becasue highly skiled playmakers with size and strength enough to not get knocked off the puck are a dime a dozen. :shakehead

While I agree he shouldn't be #17 he belongs on that list. Probably in the 20-30 range, but his set of Size and skill, and witht this years point production...well, he deserves to be on the list.

Obviously, it's been too long since he was drafted.. everyone wants him lower. (well, not everyone) :snide:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I was a bit surprised that Stewart was only 18th. I expected him around #11 or 12. I also think that Krajicek, although not as solid as Tjutin, is at the same level in terms of skill and potential so I would've thought that Kraj would at least be top 30 instead of 36.

db23

Dustin Brown deserves better. He made the Kings out of training camp and would have played the season with them except for injury. That puts him ahead of Gleason and Grebeshkov on that team at least. Of course, if he played the season he wouldn't be a prospect.

Koivu has gotten better each year in Finland, although it looks like he will never be a scorer. Kastitsyn should have dropped about 20 spots at least, based on his play this year. He looks like the potential "big bust" from the 2003 draft.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
db23 said:
Koivu has gotten better each year in Finland, although it looks like he will never be a scorer. Kastitsyn should have dropped about 20 spots at least, based on his play this year. He looks like the potential "big bust" from the 2003 draft.

But he's a Canadien prospect.

Logic need not apply.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
But he's a Canadien prospect.

Logic need not apply.

Ok so I guess that the writers are all Canadiens homer...no doubt about it...Anyway I would be curious to know how many people here have seen Kastitsyn play before they call him a bust? He was drafted last year and db23 already knows that he will never play in the Nhl. Really, some teams should hire db23 as head scouts, he IS the real deal in scouting.

P.S. I never saw Kastitsyn play so I won't comment on his ranking, but I tend to believe more in the jugement of those who made the list than listen to db23 tell us all the truth on a player that he saw once, and it was on the draft podium on television.

rubicon

Feb 19, 2004
Koivu is definatly a top 25 prospect so 17 is not a streach, although weather he is better than O'Sullivan is in doubt. Toivonen should be top 10. Someone should start thier own borad with minimums for top prospects and a list of a few hundre and let people chose thier own insteatd of just saying what they don't like. P.S. Mark Stuart should have been top 10

Randall Graves*

ducksflytogether said:
Getzlaf couldn't crack that? No offense, but he is definetely better than guys like Koivu. Hell, he's even better than the #15 rank, Mark Stuart. Parise's also should be in the top 10. Maybe Carter, too.
What do you mean?Getzlaf has limited offensive potential :joker:

db23

Kastitsyn scored less points for CSKA than hulking "defensive" defenceman Dmitri Kosmachev this season. Kosmachev is younger as well. He scored less points for Belarus at the WJC (B Pool) than both of his linemates. One of them, Konstantin Zhakarov, (who is also a bit younger than Kastitsyn), is playing in the QMJHL this year where he has scored less than a point a game.

The development league where Kastitsyn scored over a point a game is about the equivalent of Midget AAA in Canada. Fellow Hab prospect Alex Perezhogin, (who had a decent if not spectacular AHL season as a 20 year old), averaged over a goal a game and nearly two points a game at the same level when he was a year younger than Kastitsyn.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see nothing to indicate that Kastitsyn deserved to be drafted top 10, or ranked as the 12th best prospect here. All of the Russian players taken after him in the draft (up to the end of the 4th round) outscored him in the RSL this season. Including the defencemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jamie Thomas said:
Ok so I guess that the writers are all Canadiens homer...no doubt about it...Anyway I would be curious to know how many people here have seen Kastitsyn play before they call him a bust? He was drafted last year and db23 already knows that he will never play in the Nhl. Really, some teams should hire db23 as head scouts, he IS the real deal in scouting.

P.S. I never saw Kastitsyn play so I won't comment on his ranking, but I tend to believe more in the jugement of those who made the list than listen to db23 tell us all the truth on a player that he saw once, and it was on the draft podium on television.

I don't think anyone is saying Kastitsyn is a bust, but Canadien fans act like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and he had a horrible season.

His stock has fallen, that doesn't mean he still won't be good.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Epsilon said:
That's because Dawes is not that good an NHL prospect, and the WJC isn't the Holy Grail of prospect evaluation some like to make it out to be.
you missed my point... i know wjc is not much of a place for proper evaluation but that is the only way it can explain the rankings of richards and stewart, now i want to know why if those two can be ranked so high because of it, why couldn't the better player in that tournament and in their respective league even crack the top 50

my point is using the same criteria that was used for those two, dawes should've atleast made this ranking

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
in the hall said:
you missed my point... i know wjc is not much of a place for proper evaluation but that is the only way it can explain the rankings of richards and stewart, now i want to know why if those two can be ranked so high because of it, why couldn't the better player in that tournament and in their respective league even crack the top 50

my point is using the same criteria that was used for those two, dawes should've atleast made this ranking

It probably has to do with the fact that Nigel Dawes is generously listed at 5'8". It's the same way Ian White and Kyle Wellwood had great WJCs and junior careers but becuase of serious problems relating to height, they aren't and never have been on any top 50 lists. Both are taller than Dawes, btw.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
Hossa said:
It probably has to do with the fact that Nigel Dawes is generously listed at 5'8". It's the same way Ian White and Kyle Wellwood had great WJCs and junior careers but becuase of serious problems relating to height, they aren't and never have been on any top 50 lists. Both are taller than Dawes, btw.
that point is moot, Roy, Parise, Hudler, heck even Richards are all listed and are all smaller then their given height and small period..... not even taking into account that Dawes is the more physical presence despite his inches, he is a much more solid build then Parise, Hudler and Roy at the very least....

i think he is getting looked over because of his draft position, just another prospect that will prove people wrong... not like he would be the first

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I think that if you swopped Koivu and Toivonen around, they'd both be around where they should be..

Koivu with how little he's done sinc ebeing drafted has only slipped, while Hannu has risen constantly.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Big Bill said:
It seems to me (in fact its obvious) that all the complaints are HOMERISMS to coin a phrase. Of course Ducks fans think Getzlaf deserves top whatever and Bruins think Toivonen deserves this, and Rangers fans think Dawes was screwed, yada yada yada. Appreciate the list for what it is! Sure there are objective criticisms, but I see the same people complaining about the same home team prospects that were missed, left off, ranked too low too high etc... Get over it :rant:

Actually no. Not all complaints are homerism. I, for example am I Flames fan who feels that Getzlaf was too low.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
Kastitsyn scored less points for CSKA than hulking "defensive" defenceman Dmitri Kosmachev this season. Kosmachev is younger as well. He scored less points for Belarus at the WJC (B Pool) than both of his linemates. One of them, Konstantin Zhakarov, (who is also a bit younger than Kastitsyn), is playing in the QMJHL this year where he has scored less than a point a game.

The development league where Kastitsyn scored over a point a game is about the equivalent of Midget AAA in Canada. Fellow Hab prospect Alex Perezhogin, (who had a decent if not spectacular AHL season as a 20 year old), averaged over a goal a game and nearly two points a game at the same level when he was a year younger than Kastitsyn.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see nothing to indicate that Kastitsyn deserved to be drafted top 10, or ranked as the 12th best prospect here. All of the Russian players taken after him in the draft (up to the end of the 4th round) outscored him in the RSL this season. Including the defencemen.

You appear to be a little too focussed on stats. They don't tell half the story. Not many conclusions you can draw without seeing the players.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hold on one second.....I think its safe to say that:

Vanek, Paille, and Miller are ALL top 50 NHL prospects.

But, is it possible they are all in the top 10??? As a sabres fan, I would think Miller would make it, Vanek, maybe, probably more of a top twenty with his lackluster performance this year. Paille might be a top 20, but top 30 is more accurate. I guess we'll wait and see when the top 10 is released.

st_roland

mdoak said:
Hold on one second.....I think its safe to say that:

Vanek, Paille, and Miller are ALL top 50 NHL prospects.

But, is it possible they are all in the top 10??? As a sabres fan, I would think Miller would make it, Vanek, maybe, probably more of a top twenty with his lackluster performance this year. Paille might be a top 20, but top 30 is more accurate. I guess we'll wait and see when the top 10 is released.

I really don't think that Paille is a top 50 prospect. Maybe top 75...maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->