News Article: Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher to talk with VGK

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Will Butcher, the Hobey Baker Award-winning defenseman from the University of Denver, will begin speaking with at least three NHL teams Wednesday when he intends to become an unrestricted free agent, according to a source.

The New Jersey Devils, Buffalo Sabres and expansion Vegas Golden Knights have interest in Butcher, 22, who captained DU to the NCAA championship in April.

The Avalanche, which selected Butcher in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL draft, has exclusive negotiation rights with the player through 10 p.m. MDT on Tuesday. A college player has four years to sign with the team that drafts him, or he becomes an unrestricted free agent Aug. 16 of his fourth year.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/15/will-butcher-reject-colorado-avalanche/

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Steve Carp wrote a really good piece in the RJ as well: https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/top-college-free-agent-will-butcher-eyes-golden-knights/

There's some great quotes from Butcher's agent (who also represents Alex Tuch), especially this one:
“I was telling Will there’s more to Vegas than just the Strip,” he said. “There are a lot of positives to playing there. The biggest is you’re part of something new and you’re getting in on the ground floor, which is interesting.

“They’ve got a lot of defensemen, but they probably need some defensemen who aren’t 28 years old.”

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Duke, Glass, Butcher... it's like Billionaire Bill tells McPhee: "That guy sounds good."

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Apparently, and take this how you will coming from Avs fans, but not only is he small, he is slow too.

If you are small, you have to be a barn burner to survive in the league.

I reas another Brad Hunt type player in Butcher. AHL star but can't crack a roster.

Edit: I should add that at least some player agents are aware of the benefits of Vegas, and they are already bringing a little bit of prestige as a new team. Not a bad thing.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Then throw him down to the A, what's the worst that could happen? If he shines, he shines. If he doesn't, not much lost.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Apparently, and take this how you will coming from Avs fans, but not only is he small, he is slow too.
:laugh: That hasn't stopped the Knights scouting dep't from drafting a couple of slow-footed first rounders this summer!

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
:laugh: That hasn't stopped the Knights scouting dep't from drafting a couple of slow-footed first rounders this summer!

Who are you implying? Suzuki is average, but Glass, and Hague are good skaters for their size, and Brannstrom will probably be a top 50 skater in the league when he establishes himself.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Apparently the Pens are in as well.

I don't see how you pass up the Pens.

I don't know - he's not better than anyone in their top 6 at the NHL level, and their AHL defense is stacked. I understand the appeal of playing for the reigning champs, but he would get lost in the shuffle there. Chicago - and the chance to play closer to home - seems more likely to me than Pittsburgh.

I'm wondering if there's any NHL team that can guarantee him a spot in the lineup - the AHL is more likely for him, and I'm curious if he and his agent have been discussing that.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't know - he's not better than anyone in their top 6 at the NHL level, and their AHL defense is stacked. I understand the appeal of playing for the reigning champs, but he would get lost in the shuffle there. Chicago - and the chance to play closer to home - seems more likely to me than Pittsburgh.

I'm wondering if there's any NHL team that can guarantee him a spot in the lineup - the AHL is more likely for him, and I'm curious if he and his agent have been discussing that.

Undoubtedly this is what they are looking at. He really doesn't project out to be much better than bottom pairing regular, his physical attributes just are what they are. He developed nicely over his time at DU, but when it was over he was a man playing with other men competing against the boys as they were one of the best teams seen in the NCAA in recent years.

I get that he felt disrespected by the Avs, but no one is going to go out of their way to treat a 5th round pick with velvet gloves. He's going to be 23 early in the upcoming campaign while there are more talented kids with bigger upside and physical skills in juniors who are 4-5 years younger hungry for his spot. They will eventually pass him.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can't find anyone, but most of the good resources aren't much help on the Knights right now.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Meeting with the Devils today too, apparently.

Everyone says he should come here for PT, but the blueline here is already a little crowded.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Everyone says he should come here for PT, but the blueline here is already a little crowded.

It sounds like he and his agent are being realistic about his future, and trying to find a place where he can fit in for the next 10 years, rather than getting immediate NHL time - I'd bet he's going to spend most (if not all) of this season in the AHL anyway. We can offer him a chance to play in the AHL near his family in Wisconsin, and then he'd have a great shot to crack the lineup next year when our blueline is sorted out after we've shed the excess D-men.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It sounds like he and his agent are being realistic about his future, and trying to find a place where he can fit in for the next 10 years, rather than getting immediate NHL time - I'd bet he's going to spend most (if not all) of this season in the AHL anyway. We can offer him a chance to play in the AHL near his family in Wisconsin, and then he'd have a great shot to crack the lineup next year when our blueline is sorted out after we've shed the excess D-men.

I don't know about this. I think he's realizing he may not even get to the big money which comes in 4-5 years if he's doing well. If he had confidence in the 10-year plan he would do what Blaine Byron did today in signing a minor league contract that allows himself to take the first good one-way contract offer he can get from any team. Sure he could develop into a guy that plays for 10 years, but being realistic he and his agent have to assume he may not get much of a contract after the first 2-year, 2-way contract he can get now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->