News Article: Hobey Baker Memorial awards finalists...

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
The Hobey Baker awards are coming up and the finalists have been posted.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a local kid Tyler Morley listed. I've met this young man a few times and he's an extremely friendly guy (Although not his best picture), and he's well liked in the local community and has done a lot to put in some extra time helping younger kids at hockey rinks around Burnaby and Surrey and has done a fair amount of volunteering when he gets a chance.

I don't recognize any other guys as local kids.

As Don Cherry would say.... Good Canadian Kid!

http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
Does fan voting still only count for 1% of the final ballot, with the selection committee's votes weighted at 99%? This was how it worked last time I actually read the "fine print" on the Hobey Baker.

Basically (assuming things haven't changed), fan votes only have value in the unlikely event there is a tie between the selection committee's top two vote getters.

Although there is the competition factor between fan bases, which makes fan balloting surprisingly competitive. Last year, certain NHL teams' message boards (not naming names) offered detailed instructions on how to stuff the ballot box using proxy IPs and the like. It got pretty funny when lesser known players would suddenly go from a few hundred votes to several thousand overnight. Hopefully everyone plays fair this year but most likely we see more of the same shenanigans.

Although given the reality of how little these votes actually effect the final result, I'm surprised people bother cheating.

Still, even knowing all this, I vote every year (and will continue to do so).

And the initial stage of voting can have an effect if a player gets snubbed by the nominating coaches (who each nominate three players from their division and their top three in the nation) but manages to garner a large number fan votes. Such a player might get a spot in the final ten. However, when it comes to the "Hobey Hat Trick" and the final winner, the fan vote really doesn't make a difference (unless the selection committee is deadlocked and requires a tie breaker).

At least that's how it worked last time I checked. Can't find the page with the details right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad