HN's Super Tournament Finals

Who would win in head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
YOU ARE VOTING ON THESE ROSTERS FOR 2020-2021 NOT 2019-2020

For each matchup please select the team you feel would win head to head in a 7 game series. All votes welcome (game players or otherwise) except for alts. The first team in each matchup is team one, second is team 2. Please consider all aspects of the teams, from 1C right down to depth players. Do not vote just based on logo.

In the event of a tie we will go to the poll section.

Final Matchup (A):

:bolts

Marchand - Crosby - Marchessault
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Palat - Couture - Yamamoto
Nyquist - Vilardi - Kessel

C Smith
Byfield
Lucic

Provorov - Parayko
Ekholm - Carlo
Weegar - Manson

Gibson
Francouz

vs

:coyotes
Anders Lee - Connor McDavid - Anthony Mantha
Taylor Hall - John Tavares - William Nylander
Zach Parise - Kevin Hayes - Jakub Silfverberg
Nick Foligno - JG Pageau - Joel Armia

Ryan Suter - Shea Weber
Josh Morrissey - Jacob Trouba
Ryan Murray - David Savard

Robin Lehner
Matt Murray

Scratch: Carl Soderburg, Zach Kassian, Scott Mayfeild

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
My breakdown:

Tampa Strengths:
Strong top 4 with great two way abilities
Elite top 3 Cs
Versatile wingers

Arizona Strengths:

Elite top 6 offensive talent
Shut down ability in bottom 6
Strong top 4

L1: McDavid vs Crosby head to head, in a sense the old vs the new. Difference maker here for me is that even though McDavid has Mantha, Crosby has Marchand. Bring in Marchesseault and Anders Lee is out of place on this top line matchup. For that reason, point Tampa

L2: Tavares vs Zibanejad as the Cs and this time I'm giving it to the old fella, Tavares just plays a game we know and I feel Zibanejad can't repeat what he did this year. Bring in Nylander/Hall and this is comfortably point Arizona

L3:
Shut down vs offence, Couture vs Hayes. For me Tampas ability to drive play with Yamamoto and Hoffman just makes this tough on Arizona. Parise and Silfverberg are ageing and for that reason I feel Tampa can control Arizona's 3rd line. I'm not too comfortable with Arizonas 3rd line. Point Tampa.

L4 + Spares:
A nasty two way line centred by Pageau going up against young gun Gabe Vilardi and co. Kessel is fried and I while I love Vilardi I think you want to get him a stronger winger than Kessel or get him on the wing in a super draft. Going against a Dylan Strome would've been fine but Pageau and co are just better. Nyquist is solid but Foligno plays a heavy game that will wear into their 4th line. It's close to a draw but point Arizona

D1:
Suter and Weber are in a sense going against younger versions of the two in Parayko and Provorov. I don't feel the old guys can handle Parayko and Provorov here at all. Point Tampa

D2:
Carlo and Ekholm are also similar to Morrissey and Trouba. Trouba however had a down year and I believe Carlo is young enough to take the next step. Ekholm is also extremely underrated. I love Tampas second point here, point Tampa

D3:
While Weegar is excellent and Manson is effective I prefer Arizonas chemistry on their 3rd pair here and that alone gives me point Arizona

G:
Lehner and Gibson are both strong but I'm not totally certain on Gibsons rebound ability and Lehner is a gamer, with Murray behind Lehner in place of Francouz I just feel better with Arizona here. Point Arizona

Special Teams:
McDavid/Mantha/Tavares/Hall/Weber vs Crosby/Marchand/Zibanejad/Hoffman/Provorov I just prefer Arizona here, they're more dynamic with a variety of skillsets. While Marchand is likely the best PK forward here I still think Arizona is stronger so Point Arizona

Overall:
I have my score at 5-4 Arizona and so I'm going with the defending champion @AveryStar4Eva and Arizona in 7

I can be swayed, it's close. Debating between the impact of Tampas D

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
My breakdown:

Tampa Strengths:
Strong top 4 with great two way abilities
Elite top 3 Cs
Versatile wingers

Arizona Strengths:

Elite top 6 offensive talent
Shut down ability in bottom 6
Strong top 4

L1: McDavid vs Crosby head to head, in a sense the old vs the new. Difference maker here for me is that even though McDavid has Mantha, Crosby has Marchand. Bring in Marchesseault and Anders Lee is out of place on this top line matchup. For that reason, point Tampa

L2: Tavares vs Zibanejad as the Cs and this time I'm giving it to the old fella, Tavares just plays a game we know and I feel Zibanejad can't repeat what he did this year. Bring in Nylander/Hall and this is comfortably point Arizona

L3:
Shut down vs offence, Couture vs Hayes. For me Tampas ability to drive play with Yamamoto and Hoffman just makes this tough on Arizona. Parise and Silfverberg are ageing and for that reason I feel Tampa can control Arizona's 3rd line. I'm not too comfortable with Arizonas 3rd line. Point Tampa.

L4 + Spares:
A nasty two way line centred by Pageau going up against young gun Gabe Vilardi and co. Kessel is fried and I while I love Vilardi I think you want to get him a stronger winger than Kessel or get him on the wing in a super draft. Going against a Dylan Strome would've been fine but Pageau and co are just better. Nyquist is solid but Foligno plays a heavy game that will wear into their 4th line. It's close to a draw but point Arizona

D1:
Suter and Weber are in a sense going against younger versions of the two in Parayko and Provorov. I don't feel the old guys can handle Parayko and Provorov here at all. Point Tampa

D2:
Carlo and Ekholm are also similar to Morrissey and Trouba. Trouba however had a down year and I believe Carlo is young enough to take the next step. Ekholm is also extremely underrated. I love Tampas second point here, point Tampa

D3:
While Weegar is excellent and Manson is effective I prefer Arizonas chemistry on their 3rd pair here and that alone gives me point Arizona

G:
Lehner and Gibson are both strong but I'm not totally certain on Gibsons rebound ability and Lehner is a gamer, with Murray behind Lehner in place of Francouz I just feel better with Arizona here. Point Arizona

Special Teams:
McDavid/Mantha/Tavares/Hall/Weber vs Crosby/Marchand/Zibanejad/Hoffman/Provorov I just prefer Arizona here, they're more dynamic with a variety of skillsets. While Marchand is likely the best PK forward here I still think Arizona is stronger so Point Arizona

Overall:
I have my score at 5-4 Arizona and so I'm going with the defending champion @AveryStar4Eva and Arizona in 7

I can be swayed, it's close. Debating between the impact of Tampas D

Solid breakdown. For me I have Tampa's D3 as much better (which gives them ALL 3 D pairings, chemistry means little when the talent gap is sizeable) then Zib > Tavares (but still L2 to Arizona). 4th lines won't play enough to matter IMO.

So Tampa gets 2 of top 3 lines, all 3 D pairings, and goaltending is close (Gibson actually has a team in front of him again). I had to lean Tampa here but I think McDavid is carrying Arizona in the vote.

The D slants this for me for sure though. Tampa is much younger and better back there. Problem with your 5-4 assessment as well is that it assumes the impact of L4 would be the same as D1, which.. is questionable.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Solid breakdown. For me I have Tampa's D3 as much better (which gives them ALL 3 D pairings, chemistry means little when the talent gap is sizeable) then Zib > Tavares (but still L2 to Arizona). 4th lines won't play enough to matter IMO.

So Tampa gets 2 of top 3 lines, all 3 D pairings, and goaltending is close (Gibson actually has a team in front of him again). I had to lean Tampa here but I think McDavid is carrying Arizona in the vote.

The D slants this for me for sure though. Tampa is much younger and better back there. Problem with your 5-4 assessment as well is that it assumes the impact of L4 would be the same as D1, which.. is questionable.
Very true, if I use a scoring value approach of:
L1 = 4
L2 = 3
L3 = 2
L4 = 1
D1 = 3
D2 = 2
D1 = 1
G1 = 2
G1 = 1

I'd end up at:
L1 = 4 - TB
L2 = 3 - ARI
L3 = 2 - TB
L4 = 1 - ARI
D1 = 3 - TB
D2 = 2 - TB
D1 = 1 - ARI
G1 = 2 - ARI (to maintain my argument)
G1 = 1 - ARI

I get scores of:
TB = 11
ARI = 8

Which would give TB my vote here. I was conflicted about which of my systems to use because I knew his Arizona team was designed to matchup though the talent is a gap

Reactions: BumDum

OB5

May 2, 2015
Would ideally like to lose to the champs but the Yotes are better.
McDavid eh

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Well guys, I think we will see @AveryStar4Eva go back to back as the champ barring a dramatic change.

Buddy keeps building top tier super teams. IMO Philly/Edmonton were the best, but they were both built like my toronto team last time that lost to Avery too.

Thanks to everyone who played

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
An update on my favourite teams:

1. Philly
  2. Edmonton
  3. Dallas
  4. Arizona
  5. Tampa Bay
  6. Toronto
  7. Florida
  8. Vancouver
  9. Carolina
  10. Calgary
  11. Pittsburgh
  12. Montreal
  13. Chicago
  14. Las Vegas
  15. New Jersey
  16. Boston

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Well guys, I think we will see @AveryStar4Eva go back to back as the champ barring a dramatic change.

Buddy keeps building top tier super teams. IMO Philly/Edmonton were the best, but they were both built like my toronto team last time that lost to Avery too.

Thanks to everyone who played

I’m honoured and will try my best to continue to prove the haters wrong. This was a lot of fun thanks for running it @hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->