HNICplays only Leafs,cancells Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Since the beginning of the season, CBC has been listed in the Sens broadast schedual as playing tonights Sens-Sabres game. This week there was a condescending little blurb in the paper saying first that the game was cancelled - then another saying that they had never planned to play it in the first place.

I guess what they meant to say is that they never intended to air it, despite initially putting it on the schedual.

Then - the excuses. Its not a home game! it is from the States and more expensve.

Okay-next Satudary the Sens play the Flyers, an Ottawa home game. Even the CBC must have known something about the history of these two teams and that they would be battling it out for lead in the Conference.

But no. HNIC sees it as their raison d'etre to promote the Leafs relentlessly,game in game out, year in year out, so the game will not be shown ,even regionally(airing it nationally would, of course,be out of the question for HNIC)

If they dont want to play the Sens on Saturday.nights, and it certainly seems that they don't (unless of course, they are playing the Leafs )they must give up their rights to play the Sens and let TSN or Sporstnet-or anyone else for that matter-step in.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
How could it be more expensive to go to Buffalo than to go to Ottawa from Toronto? I really do feel sorry for Senator fans that have to put up with all this bias

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
^Didn't Toronto have a game in the USA just a little while ago and was shown on HNIC?

So we're getting NJ/TO over OTT/BUF....
Brutal.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Foolish move, and thats from a Leaf fan. There is no reason, given the revenues of HNIC, why they shouldnt be showing the Senators tonight, especially given the fact that they were on the schedule to begin with. Obviously Id watch the Leafs game over the Sens game, but the Ottawa area and the rest of the country deserve the game that was on the Sched.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Didn't you hear? HNIC is changing there name to Leafs Hockey on CBC. :madfire: :)

Seriously, there are 3 Canadian teams in the Eastern Conference. Can we see these other 2 non-Toronto teams other than when they play Toronto?

Admittedly, when the double headers first started, all you saw for the 2nd game was the Canucks - and that was when they were brutal. At least now there's a good rotation between Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
MuzikMachine said:
Didn't you hear? HNIC is changing there name to Leafs Hockey on CBC. :madfire:

There are 3 Canadian teams in the Eastern Conference. Can we see these other 2 non-Toronto teams other than when they play Toronto?

Admittedly, when the double headers first started, all you saw for the 2nd game was the Canucks - and that was when they were brutal. At least now there's a good rotation between Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

The best way to do the Sched would be too pick the best game out of the three Eastern Teams involved. So if Montreal is playing Detroit while the Sens play St Louis and Toronto plays Nash, then obviously they should televise the Habs-Wings.

Regardless they should be showing the Sens in the Sens region, the Habs in the Habs region and the Leafs in the Leafs region. Outside of that they should be showing the best game of the three to the rest of the country.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. One more reason to hate the Leafs. I heard Leafs management went to CBC and specifically asked for them to do this.

Damn, that whole franchise and their fans! It's THEIR fault.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Transplanted Caper said:
The best way to do the Sched would be too pick the best game out of the three Eastern Teams involved. So if Montreal is playing Detroit while the Sens play St Louis and Toronto plays Nash, then obviously they should televise the Habs-Wings.

Regardless they should be showing the Sens in the Sens region, the Habs in the Habs region and the Leafs in the Leafs region. Outside of that they should be showing the best game of the three to the rest of the country.

I agree. And admittedly at the start of the season it's hard to pick a suposed good game that will occure in February. For example, go back to the Sens/Sabres. Who would of thought in August/September (or whenever the TV schedule is announced) that this particular game would be a battle of top Eastern Conference & NE Division teams?

Ottawa near the top? Probably. Ott/Buf in a divisional rivalry? Sure. Buffalo 5 pts out of first place? Doubtful.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Leaf Lander said:
toronto makes hnic money

sens do not

But if the Leafs make most of their money in the GTA, then that money would remain with HNIC as the Leafs region will always be watching the Leafs. Having the Sens in the Sens region and the Habs in the Habs region means generating EXTRA revenue.

Wetcoaster

pepty said:
Since the beginning of the season, CBC has been listed in the Sens broadast schedual as playing tonights Sens-Sabres game. This week there was a condescending little blurb in the paper saying first that the game was cancelled - then another saying that they had never planned to play it in the first place.

I guess what they meant to say is that they never intended to air it, despite initially putting it on the schedual.

Then - the excuses. Its not a home game! it is from the States and more expensve.

Okay-next Satudary the Sens play the Flyers, an Ottawa home game. Even the CBC must have known something about the history of these two teams and that they would be battling it out for lead in the Conference.

But no. HNIC sees it as their raison d'etre to promote the Leafs relentlessly,game in game out, year in year out, so the game will not be shown ,even regionally(airing it nationally would, of course,be out of the question for HNIC)

If they dont want to play the Sens on Saturday.nights, and it certainly seems that they don't (unless of course, they are playing the Leafs )they must give up their rights to play the Sens and let TSN or Sporstnet-or anyone else for that matter-step in.
Last Saturday HNIC broadcast the Canucks vs. Avs from the Pepsi Center in Denver as the second game of the double-header.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
At the beginning of the season it would not have been expected that Buffalo would be such a great team and battling for divisional leader.Of course, the game was only removed from the schedual this week, and it is Hasek's' first game back in Buffalo ..might have been nice to see...

But surely even the CBC would have realized that Sens-Philly would be a great game that Sens fans mght want to see.

And remember you Leaf fans who have commented here -we're just trying to see our team here in the Ottawa region-though I think some other parts of Canada just might want to see the odd Sens game,astounding as that may seem to you.

As far as making money-in every article on this subject in the Globe anyway they have mentioned that the networks lose money when ariing the Leafs as TML charges so much, but I guess they feel that they will make it back on advertising.

Whatever, there is no reason why CBC should hang on to the rights for the Sens if they are not even going to show them in the Ottawa area.No one is suggesting that they dont show all the Leafs all the time, as that is what they seem to be determined to do in any case, we only ask that we get to see a few more Saturday night games in our own area.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
pepty said:
At the beginning of the season it would not have been expected that Buffalo would be such a great team and battling for divisional leader.Of course, the game was only removed from the schedual this week, and it is Hasek's' first game back in Buffalo ..might have been nice to see...

But surely even the CBC would have realized that Sens-Philly would be a great game that Sens fans mght want to see.

And remember you Leaf fans who have commented here -we're just trying to see our team here in the Ottawa region-though I think some other parts of Canada just might want to see the odd Sens game,astounding as that may seem to you.

As far as making money-in every article on this subject in the Globe anyway they have mentioned that the networks lose money when ariing the Leafs as TML charges so much, but I guess they feel that they will make it back on advertising.

Whatever, there is no reason why CBC should hang on to the rights for the Sens if they are not even going to show them in the Ottawa area.No one is suggesting that they dont show all the Leafs all the time, as that is what they seem to be determined to do in any case, we only ask that we get to see a few more Saturday night games in our own area.

I don't think many Leafs fans believe it's right for them to have cancelled the Sens in the Sens region. I think i's wrong to do, however there has to be some reason they did it, clearly they didn't say "screw making money, let's only show the Leafs!". I'm not sure what the decision process was, and I don't agree with it, but I'm interested to know what the actual reasoning from the top was.

Sens fans should be able to watch their team, no matter how much I dislike their team.

The big thing to me here though is that this is an issue with CBC, not with the Leafs.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Scugs said:
Yes. One more reason to hate the Leafs. I heard Leafs management went to CBC and specifically asked for them to do this.

Damn, that whole franchise and their fans! It's THEIR fault.

Did I miss the part of the thread where people were blaming the Leafs organization? :dunno:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Well that's a big pain for Sens fans. You should be able (in this age) if you're willing to pay, to see every Sens game.

CBC is probably making the decision based on which teams draw the biggest audiences (I'm just guessing). While that does need to be taken into consideration, it's too bad that some way can't be found for all Canadian fans to see their team play. Perhaps a more cooperative deal involving other sports channels could bring that about.

Thumbs down, CBC!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
discostu said:
Did I miss the part of the thread where people were blaming the Leafs organization? :dunno:

That was his pre-emptive strike against the standard people who we all know show up to threads like these to blame the Leafs. Nobody can deny that normally in a thread like this, you can expect 3-5 really dumb posts by Leafs haters.

I agree, it's better to leave it alone until it happens, but it's almost a guarantee someone will come and say something derogatory about Leafs fans, or the Leafs organization, even though it's not their fault.

Good on the posters so far who have not taken that route yet though :handclap: .

Like I said--it's not right to screw the Sens fans out of seeing their team.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
GregStack said:
. . .
I agree, it's better to leave it alone until it happens, . . .
This is a good point. Sometimes people provoke trouble simply by being so certain that it's going to happen anyway.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Transplanted Caper said:
But if the Leafs make most of their money in the GTA, then that money would remain with HNIC as the Leafs region will always be watching the Leafs. Having the Sens in the Sens region and the Habs in the Habs region means generating EXTRA revenue.

perhaps the CBC doesn't have the resources to do that?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
nomorekids said:
Don't worry, Sens fans...there'll be plenty of games after the beginning of April. They'll have nothing else to show ;)

Thus the attack on the Leafs begins.

The Sens going deep in the playoffs, or the Leafs going anywhere in the playoffs is not the issue here, it's an issue with CBC--don't make it anything else.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
GregStack said:
Thus the attack on the Leafs begins.

The Sens going deep in the playoffs, or the Leafs going anywhere in the playoffs is not the issue here, it's an issue with CBC--don't make it anything else.

Cool it, Mabel! I was just playin', jus playin' !

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
timlap said:
CBC is probably making the decision based on which teams draw the biggest audiences (I'm just guessing). While that does need to be taken into consideration, it's too bad that some way can't be found for all Canadian fans to see their team play. Perhaps a more cooperative deal involving other sports channels could bring that about.

Thumbs down, CBC!

I really don't want to be the guy who's making excuses for the CBC, but, is it possible that the reason for not broadcasting this game, as well as the axing of next week's Philly game is because they have already sent over broadcast crews over to Torino in preparation for the Olympics. It's a pretty lame excuse if that's the case, but, it seems plausible.

If it is the case, I think it reinforces the point that CBC's deal should be a right of refusal type of situation (which I've been advocating for years). CBC has the right to broadcast a game, but, if they choose not to show a game (and they would have to make their decisions well in advance, not decide to cancel things at the last minute), then, the teams in question can release the game to their regional broadcaster.

And, if this is due to manpower restraints, then, the fair thing to do would be to use their one eastern crew to show the Leafs game nationally this week, and then show the Sens-Philly game nationally next week. But, that would require that the CBC to not broadcast a Leafs game for the Toronto market, and they seem unwilling to do treat Toronto fans with the same level of disrespect for one week they treat Ottawa fans on a regular basis.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Not so sure about that Olympics theory,but the Right of Refusal idea sounds just about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->