HNIC facing uncertain future

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I disagree, to an extent. There are news programs out there that are completely one sided, that attack anything and anyone that doesn't share their narrow minded beliefs (guess which one... it starts with an 'F').

However in general, news channels try to be pretty even and while they aren't perfect, are about as good as you can get, the CBC included. Personally, I think it would be a shame if they lost the rights to the NHL. Breaking an 80 year tradition isn't something that should be taken lightly, and I would hope the league would view it as such.
I don't disagree. I feel that he is just yapping for no reason. 80 years down the drain, and another example of the fact Canada cannot protect its own culture.

CTV is also a private network. That means they can interrupt a low rating game with American Idol.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
if cbc fails then tsn will do just fine. they would bring in ron, don and hrudey. who cares what happens as long as I can watch the game i dont care what channel they are on

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
No hughson, simpson, and healy?

Sign me up.

I would miss Grapes the odd time, but other than that I hope TSN gets it. Superior broadcasting.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
What areas of Canada are not served by CTV? I grew up in rural east-central Alberta and received over-the-air transmissions from Edmonton-based CTV, CBC, and ITV (now Global), I know that CTV Edmonton covers most of northern Alberta. CTV has a presence in other rural areas as well.

While there used to be a great partnership between CBC and the NHL, now it seems to be based more on nostalgia that present quality. CBC gets high ratings from HNIC because there is a virtual monopoly on the Canadian team broadcast rights on Saturdays and during the playoffs. TSN (CTV would use TSN’s crew) does a much better technical job of broadcasting the games than CBC – most of their on-air personalities are more knowledgeable, better spoken, and the sound and video quality is superior. For example, with Vancouver going to the finals views saw a lot of hockey from Rogers Arena; when CBC airs a hockey game from there it always looks dark and dingy (another place is Anaheim), yet when they show games from TSN or even Sportsnet, the colour is brighter and more vibrant. I’ve noticed this when watching games from different service providers in both HD and non-HD so it isn’t my TV or service provider.

TSN does a good job, as long as the actual hockey game isn’t effected broadcast more games on CTV so a larger segmant of the population has access and the average viewer wouldn't notice the difference.

JFmtl

Nov 7, 2009
Montreal
I got my 50" Panasonic just after moving into my current residence in August of 2007. I caught the 2nd half of the last CFL season on OTA, including the Grey Cup. Since I can get 19 or 20 channels+subchannels OTA, I don't bother with cable. I switched to watching NFL instead of CFL.

There were some rants in the media when the CFL went strictly to pay-TV, but that soon died down. I suppose the same will happen when CBC loses HNIC. Oh well, there's always NBC. It'll seem strange watching the Stanley Cup playoffs on NBC, but I'll adjust.

That is pretty much what happened with La Soirée du Hockey (french HNIC) when RDS (french TSN) bought the NHL and habs french rights. At first, there was some resistance, so SRC (french CBC) and RDS simulcast saturday games and playoff habs games on both channels.

But eventually, when hockey came back after the lockout, that agreement had ended, and La soirée du hockey on SRC was gone for good. Today, its pretty much an accepted fact that if you want to watch NHL hockey, you need cable/satellite to get RDS (or you watch it in english on CBC), and hockey doesn't seem likely to come back to over the air TV anytime soon.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
CBC has major problems doing more than one or two games on a Saturday night. As a public broadcaster, they are short on funds, and currently have have only 3 High Definition trucks, of which 2 are used for hockey. To make things worse, they ABSOLUTELTY REFUSE to accept anybody else's raw video feed and voiceover and overlay their graphics. I don't know if this is due to a union contract, or to management stupidity, but they'll rent a Standard Definition truck, rather than use somebody else's High Definition video feed. It's so bad that at major events in Canada, CBC English and CBC French insist on using their own separate cameras.

Right now the CBC English network has a western HD truck for hockey, which drives around between Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton, and an eastern HD hockey truck which drives around between Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal. When Ottawa and Toronto have home games on the same day, Ottawa gets stuck with an SD broadcast. Winnipeg, being out in no-man's land between Toronto and Vancouver, will see almost all HNIC home games in SD. Similar limitations affected CBC's CFL coverage, which is probably a major reason why TSN won the CFL contract. TSN carries every game, and in HD.

This is 2011 folks. The NHL will be looking seriously at this item.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
However in general, news channels try to be pretty even and while they aren't perfect, are about as good as you can get, the CBC included. Personally, I think it would be a shame if they lost the rights to the NHL. Breaking an 80 year tradition isn't something that should be taken lightly, and I would hope the league would view it as such.

That's how the NHL saw it last time when they accepted CBC's bid even though Globemedia (now Bell Media) would have bid more for those rights.

In 2014 CBC will really have to make a large bid to fight of Bell, and have to step up their game production wise (the aforementioned HD crap) to be relevant. I think the NHL would lean towards the history and the "over the air" national broadcaster element, but if CTV does decide to get involved in a bid along with TSN that could pose some problems since that wasn't on the table in 2008.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I remember reading the same speculation the last time that contract was up for renewal... there's really not much reason to worry. IIRC, CTV even outbid CBC last time around, and still lost.

Of course, the public reason was wanting to stick with tradition.

The real reason is -- the NHL needs CBC. Currently, you've got 3 major players bidding for the broadcast rights. CTV, CBC and Rogers. If CBC loses HNIC, then they lose the advertiser relationships and market power to be able to deliver a competitive bid for HNIC next time around, meaning the NHL is likely to get less out of CTV. On the flipside, CTV is a strong enough network on it's own to deliver years of competitive bids for HNIC.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Canadian's need a little perspective into what "crappy" NHL broadcasts are. I welcome you to come down to the states and watch a couple of our "NHL broadcasts" on some of the regional networks and I'd love for you to experience the stark contrast in quality between what CBC provides on HNIC and what we have to deal with on a nightly basis.

I for one am of the opinion that CBC\HNIC is an absolute institution with years of tradition to uphold. I personally look forward to the 6:30pm Scotiabank pregame show, it's a must-see every Saturday night.

I also seem to be in the minority but I happen to believe Ron MacLean is an extremely gifted broadcaster and I'm always in tune with his thoughts. I don't quite understand the incessant bashing of him - I can only assume the haters are misguided youth.

It would be an absolute travesty to Hockey for CBC to lose the rights to this main-stay of NHL television. It sets the bar for all other broadcasts, internationally.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Canadian's need a little perspective into what "crappy" NHL broadcasts are. I welcome you to come down to the states and watch a couple of our "NHL broadcasts" on some of the regional networks and I'd love for you to experience the stark contrast in quality between what CBC provides on HNIC and what we have to deal with on a nightly basis.

I for one am of the opinion that CBC\HNIC is an absolute institution with years of tradition to uphold. I personally look forward to the 6:30pm Scotiabank pregame show, it's a must-see every Saturday night.

I also seem to be in the minority but I happen to believe Ron MacLean is an extremely gifted broadcaster and I'm always in tune with his thoughts. I don't quite understand the incessant bashing of him - I can only assume the haters are misguided youth.

It would be an absolute travesty to Hockey for CBC to lose the rights to this main-stay of NHL television. It sets the bar for all other broadcasts, internationally.

CBC used to set the bar for other broadcasts, however that bar has since been reset and surpassed by other companies like TSN. If TSN/CTV were to assume CBC's role in broadcasting games, I'm sure guys like Ron MacLean, Jim Houston, and other good CBC talent would have no problem finding work and I wouldn't mind seeing on TSN - guys like Dave Hodge and Chris Cuthbert were origionally on HNIC.

I thinking calling it an "absolute travesty to hockey" is an over exaggeration. For one, travesty should be reserved for actual tragic events; with wars, starvation, and disease happening in the world, a hockey being broadcasted on a different TV station is a relatively minor thing and would not truely negatively impact the lives a lot of people (with the possible exception being those who's livelyhood depends on CBC broadcasting NHL games). Also, hockey in genral is not going to dissappear from the face of the earth if CBC ceases to broadcast games. If all the ice making companies went bankrupt meaning that we lost the ability to produce artificial ice in an indoor areana or if we found out that hockey pucks had cancer-causing elements, that would be a travesty to hockey.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Not really surpsied to see people wishing the CBC dead. This is the same Canada which gets high rating for American Idol among other thing and laughs at Canadian TV in general.
Well canadian tv sucks. Have you ever seen Canadian idol? Some of the people on there aren't even canadian. It's just for people that can't make it on american idol. If the shows are decent(corner gas) people will watch.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
CBC used to set the bar for other broadcasts, however that bar has since been reset and surpassed by other companies like TSN. If TSN/CTV were to assume CBC's role in broadcasting games, I'm sure guys like Ron MacLean, Jim Houston, and other good CBC talent would have no problem finding work and I wouldn't mind seeing on TSN - guys like Dave Hodge and Chris Cuthbert were origionally on HNIC.

I thinking calling it an "absolute travesty to hockey" is an over exaggeration. For one, travesty should be reserved for actual tragic events; with wars, starvation, and disease happening in the world, a hockey being broadcasted on a different TV station is a relatively minor thing and would not truely negatively impact the lives a lot of people (with the possible exception being those who's livelyhood depends on CBC broadcasting NHL games). Also, hockey in genral is not going to dissappear from the face of the earth if CBC ceases to broadcast games. If all the ice making companies went bankrupt meaning that we lost the ability to produce artificial ice in an indoor areana or if we found out that hockey pucks had cancer-causing elements, that would be a travesty to hockey.

Your analysis of me using the word travesty is also a gross exaggeration, I guess we think alike?

I'm not going to argue semantics with you about what it would mean to me if the NHL lost HNIC on CBC. It would bother me dearly.

CBC used to set the bar for other broadcasts, however that bar has since been reset and surpassed by other companies like TSN.

Says who? Media pundits and what else? Are there actual ratings to back this up? I like TSN A LOT, easily 2nd best but it still doesn't have the flare and aura that CBC HNIC brings to my home. Besides, I really only get to see Wednesday night hockey on TSN here in the states, it's not a full-on production that I get on Saturday nights.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Your analysis of me using the word travesty is also a gross exaggeration, I guess we think alike?

I'm not going to argue semantics with you about what it would mean to me if the NHL lost HNIC on CBC. It would bother me dearly.

Says who? Media pundits and what else? Are there actual ratings to back this up? I like TSN A LOT, easily 2nd best but it still doesn't have the flare and aura that CBC HNIC brings to my home. Besides, I really only get to see Wednesday night hockey on TSN here in the states, it's not a full-on production that I get on Saturday nights.

As CBC says, "The Tradition Continues" I don't think many people want that tradition to end. There's something special about being on HNIC. I don't think Monday Night Football has been the same since it moved to ESPN. Previously, it had a special event feeling to it. Now, it and Sunday Night Football both just feel like another NFL game, at least to me. I do think you would lose that feeling if CBC lost HNIC. HNIC still has that big national event feeling that it's had since the beginning. Even with all the changes, I think it still stands.

In general, I agree that CBC is still the gold standard. I like TSN's coverage and I prefer their announcers for the most part, but CBC goes much more in-depth when it comes to reporting and features. They seem to put more resources into that. Also, I doubt a show like After Hours would ever make it on TSN or CTV. Instead, they would flip to Sportscentre or the news ASAP as they currently do now. TSN can never get off the air fast enough to make way for Sportscentre, while CBC is the exact opposite. I prefer the less hyped, more casual style of HNIC. The CBC pre-game feature almost always offers a must see feature, how many times can you say that for TSN?

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
As CBC says, "The Tradition Continues" I don't think many people want that tradition to end. There's something special about being on HNIC. I don't think Monday Night Football has been the same since it moved to ESPN. Previously, it had a special event feeling to it. Now, it and Sunday Night Football both just feel like another NFL game, at least to me. I do think you would lose that feeling if CBC lost HNIC. HNIC still has that big national event feeling that it's had since the beginning. Even with all the changes, I think it still stands.

In general, I agree that CBC is still the gold standard. I like TSN's coverage and I prefer their announcers for the most part, but CBC goes much more in-depth when it comes to reporting and features. They seem to put more resources into that. Also, I doubt a show like After Hours would ever make it on TSN or CTV. Instead, they would flip to Sportscentre or the news ASAP as they currently do now. TSN can never get off the air fast enough to make way for Sportscentre, while CBC is the exact opposite. I prefer the less hyped, more casual style of HNIC. The CBC pre-game feature almost always offers a must see feature, how many times can you say that for TSN?

This is exactly it. TSN is far too regimented and scripted for my liking. HNIC Scotiabank pregame, Coach's corner, Hot Stove, After Hours all bring a sense of originality and intimacy into the game on Saturday nights. Will we see the group of young hockey players shout out the night's match ups in unison on TSN? Will we get to see the late night interviews in the hall-ways of the respective team's arena at 1230am? No, you're probably right - they'll want to fast forward and cut right to the latest Sportscentre update.

I sincerely hope CBC can find a way to keep their tradition alive.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is exactly it. TSN is far too regimented and scripted for my liking. HNIC Scotiabank pregame, Coach's corner, Hot Stove, After Hours all bring a sense of originality and intimacy into the game on Saturday nights. Will we see the group of young hockey players shout out the night's match ups in unison on TSN? Will we get to see the late night interviews in the hall-ways of the respective team's arena at 1230am? No, you're probably right - they'll want to fast forward and cut right to the latest Sportscentre update.

I sincerely hope CBC can find a way to keep their tradition alive.

This is exactly why HNIC is 100x the broadcast TSN is. They don't give a **** on CBC if HNIC runs late due to something big happening, and their coverage is as thorough and unscripted as it can be. There really is no other sports (that means NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.) broadcast like it.

BacklundtoBartschi*

This is exactly why HNIC is 100x the broadcast TSN is. They don't give a **** on CBC if HNIC runs late due to something big happening, and their coverage is as thorough and unscripted as it can be. There really is no other sports (that means NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.) broadcast like it.

If only it was in HD.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I certainly hope CBC manages to find a way to stay afloat. They're the best in the business. I can't imagine HNIC does anything but print money for CBC either.

Minor tangent:

Why doesn't CBC televise lacrosse? WLA/OLA lacrosse in the summertime especially. CBC covers figure skating, curling, aquatics, the Calgary Stampede, but not Canada's national sport. You would think lacrosse would be a part of their cultural mandate, or something. Does anyone know why it isn't covered? Was there a point in time where it was? If so, what happened?

The Kremelin Wall*

TSN doesn't meet the anti-Habs quota yet, no way they could land the Canadian team games.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or, if you've never heard of this particular incident that marked the end of Dave Hodge's CBC career:

FakeKidPoker*

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or, if you've never heard of this particular incident that marked the end of Dave Hodge's CBC career:

That was great it got Hodge off the air for a little bit...too bad he got a gig at TSN.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island

To use this 1 incident as reference to disprove the theory that CBC HNIC is unscripted is a pretty poor attempt. Yes, we know, it's television, it's scripted we get it. But even in a structured, produced, staged\scripted environment CBC HNIC soars and gives the viewer the feel as if it were completely off the cuff (some of it is whether you want to believe it or not) and unscripted. The commentators, broadcasters are genuine in their approach and speak intelligently about our game.

Lastly, HNIC on CBC has nostalgia, something TSN, CTV will not be able to recreate if they are lucky enough to win the rights for it. It will become a watered down after thought.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The post was in response to the comment that CBC wouldn't cut from a game early. This was a pretty famous incident and one that CBC had to live down for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->