HNIC facing uncertain future

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I got my 50" Panasonic just after moving into my current residence in August of 2007. I caught the 2nd half of the last CFL season on OTA, including the Grey Cup. Since I can get 19 or 20 channels+subchannels OTA, I don't bother with cable. I switched to watching NFL instead of CFL.

There were some rants in the media when the CFL went strictly to pay-TV, but that soon died down. I suppose the same will happen when CBC loses HNIC. Oh well, there's always NBC. It'll seem strange watching the Stanley Cup playoffs on NBC, but I'll adjust.

5lidyzer19

Jun 21, 2010
Originally Posted by King Woodballs
I have been saying for years that I hope CBC loses HNIC.... then the CBC can fold and not cost me millions upon millions a year from my taxes.

Except it probably costs you a few cents. That's assuming you are even a NET positive contributor into the system. Also, from this thread it appears that it generates more than it costs so it's an investment.

Nothing against you, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine with Americans who have next to zero understanding of the tax code in general.

"X University paid $250,000 of "my" tax dollars to pay for X speaker? What an outrage!" "What's this? It brought in $400,000 to the University?"

"You want to use $100,000,000 of "my" tax dollars to build a bridge? "What an outrage!" "What's this? It will allow the continuation or addition of billions of dollars in local business?"

Man, you must have an incredibly high tax bill
:)

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
I have been saying for years that I hope CBC loses HNIC.... then the CBC can fold and not cost me millions upon millions a year from my taxes.
Good riddance I say.

Damn, you must make billions of dollars a year if you pay that much in tax.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
In most cases, I'm a fan of sports making the jump to cable from broadcast TV and government keeping their noses out of things when they don't need to be. However, HNIC and CBC are so intertwined as a Canadian cultural icon that I think the government should save HNIC. Unfortunately, knowing how the Conservatives run things, I don't see how this would happen.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Hockey is probably the only profitable venture for CBC. Get rid of the biased news and David Suzuki if you have to get some cash, but don't let TSN/Bell have a monopoly on hockey and ruin it like everything they touch.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
The NHL is the only entity that has say on who broadcasts their rights. Why would they take a "hometown discount" when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars?

The current package that CBC has, which is over 80 games, is probably worth at least $200 million a season. They are currently paying around $100 million. Which is probably the max that they could ever offer.

I don't think 30 NHL teams are going to say no to another $100 million a season.

During the last contract, the NHL did sort of give CBC a hometown discount. CTV never even got a chance to bid on the rights. CBC made an offer, the NHL liked it, and took it. It's possible that it can happen again. I think part of that is the tradition of HNIC and their loyalty to the NHL. I think that is a factor. Besides, how many games with CTV show during the playoffs? Seems to me that a CBC will always be able to show more games especially if it's partnered with a TSN/TSN2 as it is now. CTV isn't going to jettison their prime time programming every night during the playoffs so that would leave TSN/TSN2 and maybe NHL Network to pick up the slack at least in the first couple of rounds.

You can get digital OTA for free. I have cable but I also have a channel master antenna. I get about 25 channels over the air for free, one of which is CBC HD, which they claim is clearer than cable HD. To be honest, I can't tell the difference, but it has something to do with over the air HD being a raw feed.

Many CBC stations are translators and they aren't being converted to digital because of cost. They are simply going off the air. For example, the CBC station in London falls into that category. As of right now, London and Kitchener will no longer be able to receive CBC OTA unless your antenna can get the Toronto or Windsor affiliate. There's cases of this throughout the country. Also, CBC will be shutting down many of it's english language stations in Quebec including in Quebec City, while they are shutting down many French stations in English speaking Canada including in Windsor and Calgary.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...e-some-viewers-without-access/article2092806/

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
I think if Rogers end's up with contol of MLSE then Bell will push hard to get the full NHL rights.
CTV Saturday's and TSN/TSN2weeknights. also don't forget CTV is about to turn A-Channel into CTV2 so thats another channel to air NHL games if needed.
Bell thru TSN already has a partnership with the NHL they have a joint ownership in Canada for the NHL network and im sure the NHL will want to grow the network.
also I think CTV will buy the HNIC brand from the gov when CBC loses the rights and transfer it to CTV.
it's like the Olympics CBC lost because the TSN/Rogers had too meny avenues for the games to be shown.this time Bell won't need Rogers CTV/TSN/TSN2/NHL Network and maybe even CTV2 will be enough to sway the NHL to do a deal with Bell and shut out CBC.
Roger's will own the Leafs and Bell will have control of NHL rights.
im putting my money on Bell getting full control of the NHL rights.

Wags

Apr 26, 2004
I'd puke.

Ditto...Sportsnet TV in Canada is a joke. It is already bad enough that we have to watch 50+ games a year on those stations.

Even if TSN is starting to get all pouty and whiny about not breaking a story first (i.e. Dreger whining about Stephen Brunt and the Atlanta story), they still have the best coverage with the most interesting on-air personailties in the business...and the one polarizing figure, Pierre McGuire, is not with them any more.

CBC has become irrelevant as hockey has moved into more of a 24/7-daily type of coverage. Seeing that hockey is the only content of any value on that station, I am not sure if they will be around at all in 5 - 10 years.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Hockey is probably the only profitable venture for CBC. Get rid of the biased news and David Suzuki if you have to get some cash, but don't let TSN/Bell have a monopoly on hockey and ruin it like everything they touch.

To be fair tsn has done wounders for the cfl and the world juniors so no everything they touch does not fail.As for getting rid of the news etc part of the issue with that is that could mean less of a budget for cbc now they get i beleave around a billion a year you get rid of news programs etc that could mean the cbc would have a much smaller budget.

Kylie Sven Opossum

Higgs Boson Blues
Jul 14, 2011
HNIC is an institution in country and the CBC will do whatever it takes to continue the legacy. Viewership is through the roof and the numbers are too good for bureaucrats to turn their back on the only cash cow that the CBC has. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I agree with this.

White Noise

Jun 17, 2009
Winnipeg
In most cases, I'm a fan of sports making the jump to cable from broadcast TV and government keeping their noses out of things when they don't need to be. However, HNIC and CBC are so intertwined as a Canadian cultural icon that I think the government should save HNIC. Unfortunately, knowing how the Conservatives run things, I don't see how this would happen.

I don't think so. The Prime Minsiter, Harper is a big time hockey fan. The Conservative government has already said they won't be doing anything in a siginificant way with CBC. If anything, he would do what he could to keep HNIC at CBC.

-37-

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
To be fair tsn has done wounders for the cfl and the world juniors so no everything they touch does not fail.As for getting rid of the news etc part of the issue with that is that could mean less of a budget for cbc now they get i beleave around a billion a year you get rid of news programs etc that could mean the cbc would have a much smaller budget.
1) Learn puncuation.
2)You are correct. the CFL would be dead on CBC.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Outside of Heartland and maybe Dragons Den, HNIC is the only program that gets decent ratings on CBC. If they lose it, their budget should be slashed. It could be similar to how the BBC lost rights to the premiership. I doubt they would sell the HNIC brand to TSN.

As much as I hate the CBC, I hope HNIC sticks around. TSN rubs me the wrong way (too buddy buddy with the NHL and the reporters think they're all that) and Sportsnet isn't even an option.

Bucky Katt

Aug 30, 2005
Vancouver
Well I for one would be outraged if I had to watch hockey on Saturday nights on channel 210 instead of channel 209. Oh the humanity!

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
You can get digital OTA for free. I have cable but I also have a channel master antenna. I get about 25 channels over the air for free, one of which is CBC HD, which they claim is clearer than cable HD. To be honest, I can't tell the difference, but it has something to do with over the air HD being a raw feed.

Yep. I don't have cable, but I get Global's HD channel (two versions of it, actually) for free with rabbit ears (one of those new sets of ears that pick up digital broadcasts). I'm hoping I can grab a few other channels once the changeover happens in August.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I hope to never see HNIC on CBC go away. As much as I tired of Maclean and Cherry years ago, HNIC is too much a part of our cultural fabric.

What would really worry me if that if Canadian network TV rights went to CTV is that they probably start shifting a lot of games from TSN to TSN2 or pay-per-view or other premium-priced channels. I would never expect the CBC to shift HNIC games onto Bold or any other specialty channel that they would ever own.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yep. I don't have cable, but I get Global's HD channel (two versions of it, actually) for free with rabbit ears (one of those new sets of ears that pick up digital broadcasts). I'm hoping I can grab a few other channels once the changeover happens in August.
The antennas are pretty cheap, I paid about 100. Actually the coax running from the antenna was almost as much as the Antenna itself. Total size is about 3' x 3' it weighs about 5lbs. I just hung it off the chimney and pointed it towards the CN tower. Where you point it is critical, a few inches either way, you can lose 7 or 8 channels.

I wouldn't count on getting any more than you're getting now. As I think everybody that will broadcast digital is doing so now. That's why you get two globals, the digital and the analogue, hmm or maybe it's the digital and the HD.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Because he is wannabe a American. "Biased" News. Means nothing.

I disagree, to an extent. There are news programs out there that are completely one sided, that attack anything and anyone that doesn't share their narrow minded beliefs (guess which one... it starts with an 'F').

However in general, news channels try to be pretty even and while they aren't perfect, are about as good as you can get, the CBC included. Personally, I think it would be a shame if they lost the rights to the NHL. Breaking an 80 year tradition isn't something that should be taken lightly, and I would hope the league would view it as such.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad