News Article: HNIC Commentator Changes

McHandsomeDoc

Jul 28, 2006
Edmonton
I'm interested to hear this new guy, ANYONE would be better than Mark Lee - although in fairness to Lee, his hockey play-by-play has improved SIGNIFICANTLY since he first started. Still...

Never really liked Hrudy, we'll see how he does as play-by-play, and I actually didn't mind Weeks, I think he just needs more seasoning.

I still yearn for the days when CBC was top dog and they could roll out Bob Cole in the early game and then finish strong with Chris Cuthbert and Craig Simpson in the late game. Thankfully I can sometimes still get something similar on TSN. Although Cuthbert still seems to play second fiddle to Gord Miller (meh), at least some times I get a CC combo with Ray Ferraro (who I always liked)

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Heres what the new guys sounds like :

Not too bad. I'm more excited for Hrudey to be honest.

The color guy in that clip is just brutal though :laugh:

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004

decent... sounds like he has a real boner for the sedins though.

Koto

May 3, 2011
im so glad weekes is gone, he says the most mind bogglingly stupid things.

dubnyk has really improved his consistency this year, but if the oilers are going to have shot, dubnyk needs to really improve his consistency.

i never really disliked lee though, im confused why everyone else does. he seams pretty normal.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
My favourite Weekes saying is him calling fast players "speed merchants".

Always make me think he's calling the player a drug dealer.

JA

This was from Ball's first year calling Canucks games for the TEAM 1040. Since then, he has had four years of experience and has improved considerably. He'll sound great this Saturday.

The color commentator in the clip is Tom Larscheid, who covered the team on local radio between 1977 and 2010. He was known for being enthusiastic about the Canucks, but it added a personable aspect to the hometown radio broadcast. He was a big part of the team until his retirement, and is an icon in Vancouver.

Vancouver has produced some great play-by-play announcers over the years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Gotta say, the quality of the PBP guy is probably the least important aspect of a telecast for me. I can see what's going on. It's listening to knuckle-draggers like the Sportsnet crew between periods, that's what kills me.

Why? You don't have to watch that part. I can't handle watching a game with no sound (even at the bar we get sound). So I have to suffer when the PBP guys suck. But at least during the intermissions you can leave, and have a smoke, take a leak, get a snack and refresh the beer, and not have to listen to them...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Two Canucklehead play by play guys. Hmmmm.......double the chances now of one of them calling the game that knocks the Canucks out of the playoffs. Heh heh.....

Hrudey is an excellent choice for colour. No offence to Weekes.;)

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
A little rough so far for Hrudey.

Ball's giving off a pretty strong Nucks homer vibe. I'm sure I'll grow to hate him.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Jeez, Cherry is losing it and Ron has given up on correcting him.

Yes Don, Edmonton gave Brewer up ... for Chris Pronger. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad