News Article: HNIC Commentator Changes

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Oh God... now CBC has two BC homers in Hughson and Ball calling the games... gaaaaah!! I'm all for replacing the repugnant Mark Lee but... urrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i wish we could get ferraro for the late HNIC games, hes great

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Happy to hear about Mark Lee getting demoted (though I feel terrible for Jets fans who are stuck with him now), but the fact that Scott Oake survived this shuffle really irks me. I hate that guy. He's a tactless buffoon and his knowledge of the game is startlingly low for someone in his position.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Gotta say, the quality of the PBP guy is probably the least important aspect of a telecast for me. I can see what's going on. It's listening to knuckle-draggers like the Sportsnet crew between periods, that's what kills me.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Happy to hear about Mark Lee getting demoted (though I feel terrible for Jets fans who are stuck with him now), but the fact that Scott Oake survived this shuffle really irks me. I hate that guy. He's a tactless buffoon and his knowledge of the game is startlingly low for someone in his position.

He's a reporter, not a hockey fan. I actually enjoy that he'll ask the awkward questions. It's a nice change from just hearing "110% tonight, we've gotta get pucks on net".

Hunt4Oil

Sep 4, 2007
London On
I posted this in the training camp thread:

I used to listen to Rick ball call the Kelowna Rockets games in the 90's, I really liked him. He moved on to the Canucks radio and has been with them for quite awhile. The only down fall is I can see a bit of homerism from him calling canuck games like Hughson. Having him at CBC is going to be a huge upgrade on Lee though. No one is worse than Mark Lee!!!!

Oct 15, 2008
Another Vancouver guy doing the pbp, and a Calgarian doing the colour?

Ok then.

I wont be watching CBC anymore other than to see the Oiler games.

That network is dead to me.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Late night games never been the same since Cuthbert left.... but hope this guy isnt another Hughson. I HATE Hughson... such a huge canucks homer.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
He's a reporter, not a hockey fan. I actually enjoy that he'll ask the awkward questions. It's a nice change from just hearing "110% tonight, we've gotta get pucks on net".

Did you enjoy him asking Comrie about his deceased mother?

I'm not sure why a hockey reporter would require less knowledge than a fan (I think it'd be at least the same) I still remember in 05/06, right after the lockout ended, he was still talking about how poor Edmonton was and how we'd never see a $6M player on the Oilers. Hrudey non-chalantly asks, "How much are they paying Pronger?"

It's like the guy completely slept through the last lockout.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Scott Oake helps make After Hours what it is. The more awkward the questions, the better the entertainment.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Did you enjoy him asking Comrie about his deceased mother?

I'm not sure why a hockey reporter would require less knowledge than a fan (I think it'd be at least the same) I still remember in 05/06, right after the lockout ended, he was still talking about how poor Edmonton was and how we'd never see a $6M player on the Oilers. Hrudey non-chalantly asks, "How much are they paying Pronger?"

It's like the guy completely slept through the last lockout.

He isn't the first reporter to ask something like that. It's not appropriate for a hockey interview though. I know that, but he also doesn't exclusively ask about dead family members etc.

Oct 15, 2008
I was never a big fan of Scott Oake, but I stopped poking at the guy when I heard about his son and what he had to endure. Nobody should have to go through that.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
I've always hated those slow pitch questions that only have one answer. "How did it feel to score?" How do you think?

Yeah but eventhough the question are generally dumb, hockey players have to be the worst sports interview. The sport needs more Dustin Penner type personalities. I assume he'd answer that question by saying:

"like warm apple pie"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad