Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
But Canada hockey adds money, lots of money. Check for example Official Website of the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (official website) ... when it was here in CZE and SVK it was only dream to have some some official web. I think it's fair to have it one year at home and one year in NA.

I agree Gretzky Hlinka cup is silly name. It should be something neutral like "Young stars hockey games or tourney" with groups called Hlinka group and Gretzky group and and the winner is gonna get Hlinka cup.
It better be lots, lots of money then. Hlinka Memorial is the probably the 3rd most important junior tournament after U20 WJC and U18 WJC. Hopefully partially selling it helps the Czech and Slovak hockey in long run. As for the websites, that just isn't true. In the past few years the official homepage was good enough.
Naming the groups after Hlinka and Gretzky would have been much better than we actually got. Hlinka Gretzky just sounds so stupid, who thought putting two names next to each other will make for a good name? Not a fan of naming tournaments after still alive people either. Howe would have been a better choice.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Canada is beyond stacked. Byram, Robertson, cozens, dach, krebs, lafreniere, newhook, Pelletier, Suzuki, Williams

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Might miss the u18 training camp for sure, but I don't know why Kakko would miss Ivan Hlinka.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Because they usually don't play kids in consecutive junior tournaments for different age groups.
But Kakko's not played at Hlinka yet. And take a look at how many top prospect never played there. Look at Kotkaniemi and Kupari who both played at Hlinka after participating at u18 worlds as underagers.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
But Kakko's not played at Hlinka yet. And take a look at how many top prospect never played there. Look at Kotkaniemi and Kupari who both played at Hlinka after participating at u18 worlds as underagers.

Who cares? Our federation has never priotirized this tournament as much, they've tested/played younger players at Lake Placid/U-20 if it's best for their development and they can play with the older age group.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko will be with the U20 team, he doesn't have to play with U18 guys when he is maybe the best player in our U20 team lol.
Eh, certainly wasn't in that game today ... And in any case, ivan hlinka as a tournament is much more prestigeous than whatever u20 tournament it is at the same time.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Eh, certainly wasn't in that game today ... And in any case, ivan hlinka as a tournament is much more prestigeous than whatever u20 tournament it is at the same time.
Not for Finns. I would be surprised if he is not with the U20 team. And this was just a first game after a long break. He will get better.

You can appreciate the Hlinka more but your opinion doesn't matter much in this case as you can't decide where Kakko will play. Only thing that is is sure is that Kakko will be at the U18 WHC if he is healthy and TPS doesn't play.

I could be wrong about the Hlinka though. Time will tell.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You really think that a random u20 tournament in Canada is more prestigeous in Finland than Ivan Hlinka?

Also, as I said, Kupari and Kotkaniemi recently both participated in Ivan Hlinka after participating at u18s the season before.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You really think that a random u20 tournament in Canada is more prestigeous in Finland than Ivan Hlinka?

Also, as I said, Kupari and Kotkaniemi recently both participated in Ivan Hlinka after participating at u18s the season before.

The Finnish federation doesn't care about training tournament prestige, their goal is to first build the best possible team for the U-20 WJC and after that the best team for the U-18 WJC. If the underage kids are talented enough, they will be tried out with the older age group first. If they can hang with them, they won't play for the younger age group until after the U-20 WJC. It's been like that for a long time.

Neither were penciled in as potential key players in the U-20 team.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

To answer that ridiculous question, yes. The World Juniors is more prestigious than the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
The Finnish federation doesn't care about training tournament prestige, their goal is to first build the best possible team for the U-20 WJC and after that the best team for the U-18 WJC. If the underage kids are talented enough, they will be tried out with the older age group first. If they can hang with them, they won't play for the younger age group until after the U-20 WJC. It's been like that for a long time.

Neither were penciled in as potential key players in the U-20 team.
This so much. Nice to see someone write my thoughts to words. :5:

Thanks.

Yes.

Kupari and Kotkaniemi weren't good enough for U20 at that point. Kakko is in a different situation.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What number is Kotkaniemi? As a Habs fan he is the guy I am zooming in on for this match today.

Scouting time.
He's #9, playing with #33 Kaapo Kakko and #20 Linus Nyman.

And yes, I'm assuming you posted this on the wrong thread because he won't play at Hlinka.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Adding Gretzky name there is dehonesting. So Stupid, can't get over it

It has been mostly a Canadian tournament for some time. For Europeans, it is an exhibition tournament in the middle of the summer of no particular import. For Canadians, the timing has always allowed Canada to send their best players, and they have always more or less had easy victories to celebrate. The Czechs would have let the tournament go, so Canada picked it up. It is one of the biggest events on the Canadian calendar.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
But Canada hockey adds money, lots of money. Check for example Official Website of the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (official website) ... when it was here in CZE and SVK it was only dream to have some some official web. I think it's fair to have it one year at home and one year in NA.

I agree Gretzky Hlinka cup is silly name. It should be something neutral like "Young stars hockey games or tourney" with groups called Hlinka group and Gretzky group and and the winner is gonna get Hlinka cup.

Who really cares how much money it makes? Do you care if Rene Fasel owns 46 islands in the Mediterranean, or 47?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Uuuuugly name. Hlinka Gretzky what the??? Sad for Europeans not being able to follow it as easy. Can we follow it at all?
Is there anywere you could resee ( dont remember the word) the games.

Reactions: clevelandcane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad