GDT: Hlinka Gretzky Cup | Game 1: SUI vs. CAN @ 7 PM @ Rogers Place

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm expecting some major karma biteback tomorrow vs. Sweden unfortunately.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Gotta feel for those USA kids. They won it fair and square.
Yah tough break but almost impossible without review to get that call right. Was at the game and I thought it was in with time remaining, after watching it on TSN it quite obviously was not. I thought Canada played well and looked dominant at times but US program is really producing some talented hockey players, they deserved a better fate.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm expecting some major karma biteback tomorrow vs. Sweden unfortunately.
If anything that should wake the Canadian kids up, should have been Russia anyways...outplayed the Swedes all game except the last 2 mins.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I was at the game and had no idea the clock had actually expired. Takes a little bit of the joy out of what was an amazing comeback.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
That Byram kid on D has impressed the hell out of me.

Don’t want to be in position to draft him (hoping for playoffs) but whoever gets him is one lucky team.

He looks more impressive than all the D from this past year (except Dahlin). His skating, agility, elusiveness and hockey IQ are all top notch.

Also liking Dach and Cozens. The 2020 draft is looking pretty good as well with some of he kids eligible for that draft

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Button is such a pain to listen to.

He’s like a more cynical version of Ray Ferraro.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hopefully not the last hockey trophy celebration we see at Rogers Place this season.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
The Oil Kings are unlikely to win the WHL championship.

Someone will win the Joey Moss Cup. Have you seen who we're playing against? Going to kill them... probably.

Watched the game on the PVR. Came away really impressed with the 2020 draft crop, will bank that for later. Hadn't seen a whole lot of the 2019 draft crop so this tourney was a great intro. I initially had Krebs behind Dach and Cozens, but damn, he's a solid player. I liked Williams work as the bumper/Oshie on the PP and he's got a good wrister and one-timer. WHL draft crop will be fun to follow.

Broberg made the draft radar, Button's hype made me sick of him, and his turnovers that lead to chances and goals were the result of trying to do to much when trailing. He likes to puck rush and jump/lead the attack. Didn't see his outlet pass ability.

Good for Canada, definitely not without controversy. I'm glad the couch didnt give the starting goaltender (Maier?) much rope, I didn't think he was good versus the States and that was carrying over to this game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That has to feel like a hollow victory for Canada. The US deserved much better. They dont even get a medal.
Its a joke really.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
That has to feel like a hollow victory for Canada. The US deserved much better. They dont even get a medal.
Its a joke really.
They deserved a better fate in the Canada game. But how did that prevent them from playing in OT or the next game. And Canada played really well in the gold medal game, they seemed really happy to win. I doubt they share your sentiment.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Its a joke really.
The players don’t consider it hollow. I think the previous game motivated them to want to win big to show the world they deserved it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The players don’t consider it hollow. I think the previous game motivated them to want to win big to show the world they deserved it.

It was an injustice that simply should not have happened. The US won that game fair and square.
Team Canada knows it and so does team USA. As does the entire hockey community and every fan that watched it..

No excuse for that kind of bush League outcome in such a highly prestigious tournament.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They deserved a better fate in the Canada game. But how did that prevent them from playing in OT or the next game. And Canada played really well in the gold medal game, they seemed really happy to win. I doubt they share your sentiment.

I think it was a major emotional let down for those US kids.
Imagine knowing that you legitimately won a playoff game but had it taken away from you. Not by a judgment call but by an omission. This was conclusive...the USA won that game. No debate.

Thats a lot different from rationalizing a missed tripping call or something like that.
These are teenagers and I doubt very much they were over the stupidity and shock of an injustice of the magnitude they suffered the night before.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think it was a major emotional let down for those US kids.
Imagine knowing that you legitimately won a playoff game but had it taken away from you. Not by a judgment call but by an omission. This was conclusive...the USA won that game. No debate.

Thats a lot different from rationalizing a missed tripping call or something like that.
These are teenagers and I doubt very much they were over the stupidity and shock of an injustice of the magnitude they suffered the night before.
It was extremely close and without video replay almost impossible for the refs to make the right call. I sincerely feel bad for the US team but that by no means is the fault of anyone on the ice, refs or players. It may have been a hollow victory for some fans and media but it didn't seem to be for the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->