Injury Report: Hjalmarsson out. UPDATE: Set to Return Around All-Star Game

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
A team who can’t afford another starter might. Pittsburgh as an example has Riikola just sitting there. Not being used. I’m not suggesting we get a top four D for Hill. But a situation like that might work.

San Jose’s goaltending has been a train wreck but they’re completely out of capspace. Maybe Hill for Trevor Carrick? I’d love to add to get Ferraro but that ain’t happening.
What has Hill done to suggest right now that he is or can be an NHL goalie? I don't think anyone is paying for that.

Reactions: Jakey53

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Is there anyone decent we can nab from the KHL? Don't want Voynov's problems and LA still own his rights I believe but what about some of the others? Can an NHL team even do that during the season?

If so could we make a deal with Minnesota for Dumba and get Kaprizov thrown in and bring him over? Wasn't Dumba up for grabs last year at one point? I know wishful thinking

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What has Hill done to suggest right now that he is or can be an NHL goalie? I don't think anyone is paying for that.
It’s like when we traded for Wedgewood and then for Kuemper. Hill has decent prospect pedigree and teams who are desperate might be willing to give him a shot. As far as goalie prospects go, Hill is a good one.

San Jose is probably in the worst goaltending spot. The emergence of Ferraro, his chemistry with Heed, and the acquisition of Carrick might make a guy like Radim Simek more available than we might have thought.

He’s had his own injury issues and still isn’t back. He’s a lot closer than 3 months, though. More like 3 games. San Jose might be willing to let another team ease him in and find out what impact the knee injury has had. Especially if it gets them a dark horse goalie prospect that just might catch on.

Aiden Hill for Radim Simek seems like a mutual gamble. And pretty low stakes for both sides. Potential to alleviate current pressure in an area is weakness for both teams.

Hill can’t be worse than Jones or Dell. And he’s on a dirt cheap contract.

Who knows how Simek will play? When he was healthy, he was a good candidate to replace at least some of the thing Hjalmarsson brings to the table. Simek is pretty steady, works hard, plus with grit, and is a good defensive presence most of the time. He lacks consistency and is injury prone. But we are taking about a very minor depth deal.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It’s like when we traded for Wedgewood and then for Kuemper. Hill has decent prospect pedigree and teams who are desperate might be willing to give him a shot. As far as goalie prospects go, Hill is a good one.

San Jose is probably in the worst goaltending spot. The emergence of Ferraro, his chemistry with Heed, and the acquisition of Carrick might make a guy like Radim Simek more available than we might have thought.

He’s had his own injury issues and still isn’t back. He’s a lot closer than 3 months, though. More like 3 games. San Jose might be willing to let another team ease him in and find out what impact the knee injury has had. Especially if it gets them a dark horse goalie prospect that just might catch on.

Aiden Hill for Radim Simek seems like a mutual gamble. And pretty low stakes for both sides. Potential to alleviate current pressure in an area is weakness for both teams.

Hill can’t be worse than Jones or Dell. And he’s on a dirt cheap contract.

Who knows how Simek will play? When he was healthy, he was a good candidate to replace at least some of the thing Hjalmarsson brings to the table. Simek is pretty steady, works hard, plus with grit, and is a good defensive presence most of the time. He lacks consistency and is injury prone. But we are taking about a very minor depth deal.
Take a look at their stats and tell me how Hill is likely to be better than either SJ goalie. They both had a bad year last year wonder how the team factored into that? You like Hill, that's fine. But his career so far does not point to NHL goalie.

rt

May 13, 2004
Take a look at their stats and tell me how Hill is likely to be better than either SJ goalie. They both had a bad year last year wonder how the team factored into that? You like Hill, that's fine. But his career so far does not point to NHL goalie.
His numbers are worse than I remembered. He’s only played during the darkest of times. I thought he has been really good for the Coyotes when he’s played, despite everything.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
His numbers are worse than I remembered. He’s only played during the darkest of times. I thought he has been really good for the Coyotes when he’s played, despite everything.
Haha maybe we both might be right!!! But crap we could use someone really working out. Sadly I think it would be easy to get the 6th or 7th D but I'm not sure that's worth giving much up for??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would love to see how Phil would respond if the Coyotes gave him the A. If that would pull more out of him.
I think he prefers to stay in the background. He usually starts slow so not concerned yet.

Reactions: kbay

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
About the worst possible outcome. If any trade moves are made I'd expect it to be a minor one, i.e. 3rd pairing kind of guy, not a top 4.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This stings a lot. I think Hammer was the key to our solid D and I think he is the best SAH D in the NHL. I don't see us keeping a great GAA now, he was just so good, no way to replace him. We are a snake bit team.

If you look at our D, OEL is solid, is who he is, Demers/Goose are fading a little, both average at best. Everyone else is a border line NHL player except for Chych. He really needs to step up now, but keep in mind he has been playing behind Goose on the left side and OEL of course. Hammer covered for Goose, who does that now? Maybe Goose plays the right side and is paired with Chych. Our third pairing will be scary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have Comrie sitting around somewhere. He has to be worth something.:sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You guys do know it's a team sport. Losing Hammer hurts, but also gives someone else a time to shine. Our PK might suffer, but it's time for the PP to start to pull it's weight.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU---

Too bad Soderstrom is in Sweden. I guess we get Capobianco and, I dunno, Goligoski gets the other A.

My money’s on Richardson getting the ‘A’.

Having Soderstrom come back is an interesting option. I’d think Chayka’s going to hold off doing anything until he sees how we do with what we’ve got. Capo just played in his first game since he got hurt. Still some rust there.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

LeBrun seems to think we wont makea trade....yet. This is a huge opportunity for him. Hammer is such a unique defenseman though, you just can't replace a guy like that. Honestly Soderstrom would probably be one of the closest players to his play style that is available.

I think we could see Fischer being moved if Capo can't hang.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

LeBrun seems to think we will make a trade. I think we will see what we have on Capo first. This is a huge opportunity for him. Hammer is such a unique defenseman though, you just can't replace a guy like that. Honestly Soderstrom would probably be one of the closest players to his play style that is available.

I think we could see Fischer being moved if Capo can't hang.

I don't see Lebrun saying that?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sorry I misread the quote at first and I died my response. Thought he said "would" not "wouldn't". My reading comprehension on Monday's isn't exactly top notch.
I had the same issue earlier with his quote. Probably just looking for some excitement.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
That sucks. Sorry it happened. Yotes were a tough team. Hope he returns for you soon.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think he prefers to stay in the background. He usually starts slow so not concerned yet.
Give the A to Chychrun and let him know that he’s covering for Hjalmarsson now. Time for him to take the next step. We want to be a playoff team. How we deal with this Hjalmarsson injury will dictate whether we stay in the fight. Chychrun has as big a part to play in that effort as any other player on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->