Post-Game Talk: Hitchiking to a playoff spot

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Wideman
Garrison

I like this. I'd have Nurse and Gravel as interchangeable pieces depending on circumstances though, so Nurse doesn't have to play as many minutes. Gravel and Larsson already play together a lot on the PK and when we need a shutdown pairing defensively.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Be nice to see what Larsson could do, if anything, in a bit of time in that spot. Larsson doesn't have a poor shot.
Larsson needs to change his game if he's there.

He takes far too long at the NHL level to get a shot off. Stopping the puck, then a little stick handle and then a shot. You just can't be that slow in the NHL. Even stopping the puck is kind of frowned upon.

I do agree he has a hard shot, but I like to see him get it off quicker.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I forget but what are the rules for calling up someone out of Jr. due to injury? I feel like I've heard about that happening before (but maybe not). Do you have to run out of farm team defense?

I don't think he can be called up unless there were a literal pile of injuries that depleted Bakersfield as well.

Oilers want him in junior so he won't have to be protected in the expansion draft... so it's not going to happen. I was just saying it would have been a good option if he were the 7D in games if he would have been kept up all season long.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Yep... I've been saying that on the forums here for a while as well.

The team doesn't really have 12 good forwards on any given night as we've seen all season with the lack of decent winger options... and they can quite easily play the decent forwards they have for a few extra minutes to compensate for only having 11 forwards.

Having 7 dmen in the lineup would give them more options and would let a guy like Wideman/Garrison (or even Bear if he's called up) have more of an opportunity to be an offensive option on the PP and not have to play so many minutes that it hurts the team defensively.

I really do think that the 11F 7D option makes a lot of sense because of the way this team is structured currently.

Bouchard would have been a fantastic option in that situation as well if the team would have kept him up... playing as the 7D in the lineup with limited minutes and then giving him PP time would have helped the team offensively plus eases Bouchard into the roster as well by keeping his minutes down.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Wideman
Garrison

I think that gives the Oilers more options and helps spread the pressure and minutes around more between Benning/Gravel/Wideman/Garrison.
This all makes great sense to me, the only change I would make is substituting Bear or Jones for Wideman. I’m not big at all on Wideman and I think giving one of our prospects a look would make sense with Klefbom out

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Serious question, is breaking two fingers any worse than one in terms of recovery time? I mean if one finger is broken, it still has to recover either way.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
When we got Wideman the specific thing I stated is that hitch should make him stir in his juices for the longest time possible. Make him wait. Make him have to think about what he's done to his career. I love that theres been the opportunity to have Wideman stew. Not as consequence, I just think its required sometimes, and beneficial for players to have to rethink the value of playing in the NHL and 100% appreciate the opportunity and everything that comes with it. Of course including appreciating coaching staff. Wideman might be better for the time its taking. I think he's only played 1 game here right?
Wideman played 2 games. 1 assist. -2.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Serious question, is breaking two fingers any worse than one in terms of recovery time? I mean if one finger is broken, it still has to recover either way.
I guess the real issue is with one you only have to wait for one to recover. With two one might take longer to recover.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If I had to guess about the new D lineup I'd say it will be one or the other:

Nurse Larsson
Gravel Russell
Garrison Benning

Russell Larsson
Nurse Benning
Gravel Wideman

I think we are less exposed with the first option. Weak last pair but we weaken the right side far too much bringing Wideman in.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
yeJR-fppkBIPJeeTYJJccVoSqWOV2jblBZVPszsYEoc.jpg
ever since Hitch took over, this board has gotten just filthy

you have my full support

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Larsson needs to change his game if he's there.

He takes far too long at the NHL level to get a shot off. Stopping the puck, then a little stick handle and then a shot. You just can't be that slow in the NHL. Even stopping the puck is kind of frowned upon.

I do agree he has a hard shot, but I like to see him get it off quicker.
Fair point, eitherway a look in that spot would be worth it for the team imo.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Damn if it wasn't for the klefbom injury, things would be looking great. Instead another test ahead of the Oilers. Hope Hitchcock's system can pull through, though seeing what Dallas has been doing with 4 injuries on defence is encouraging.

Draisatl on the penalty kill - he's looked good, but what I don't get is why Hitchcock thinks draisatl can handle this much ice time when he doesn't want to play McDavid on the penalty kill because it's too much ice time. They play in all the same situations other than that, so I don't see the difference.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think he can be called up unless there were a literal pile of injuries that depleted Bakersfield as well.

Oilers want him in junior so he won't have to be protected in the expansion draft... so it's not going to happen. I was just saying it would have been a good option if he were the 7D in games if he would have been kept up all season long.
They can luck out if they found out on game day that they had injuries/illnesses and we were playing out East where it would be easier for Evan to come up than someone from Bakersfield.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Good stretch since Hitch took over. Pleasantly surprised and pleased.
Keep it rolling. Let's be one of those teams you hear about with double digit win streaks

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
That was a big win. Koskinen was the main reason we won that game. He was solid and kept us in it in the first and second. Just huge saves. If he's getting praise in the avs board, he deserves it.

Team rallied when players were down. It wasn't pretty by the end but we got the W in regulation. The 'cock will not be happy with the way that one went and hopefully they tighten things up against the jets.

That team is WAY more scary than anything the flames threw at us last game.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
If I had to guess about the new D lineup I'd say it will be one or the other:

Nurse Larsson
Gravel Russell
Garrison Benning

Russell Larsson
Nurse Benning
Gravel Wideman

I think we are less exposed with the first option. Weak last pair but we weaken the right side far too much bringing Wideman in.

God...just looking at either one of those lineups makes me wanna puke. Luckily, it seems Hitch is slowly working on removing bad habits, but that's an AHL d lineup right there.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Since the guys on the 4th line are getting a little over 4 minutes, I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to dress 7 men and us them as needed.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad