Post-Game Talk: Hitchiking to a playoff spot

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Russell - Larsson
Nurse - Benning (eep)
Gravel - Wideman

Wouldn't mind seeing Caleb Jones get a chance to be honest.

Jones - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Gravel - Benning

Very careful management of match-ups.

What I think they'll do...

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Wideman

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wideman had three plus seasons prior to the last one ... he needs to get his **** together and play decent. It seems like he's done it before, Hitch needs to get him to work. There's no choice now.
I think the biggest reason Wideman hasn’t been playing is because of the complete 180 Benning has done since Hitchcock put him back in the lineup. It really looked to me that Wideman was brought in to replace Benning and when that wasn’t needed there was no spot for him. I’m curious to see how he does now that there appears to be an open spot on the blue line.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think the biggest reason Wideman hasn’t been playing is because of the complete 180 Benning has done since Hitchcock put him back in the lineup. It really looked to me that Wideman was brought in to replace Benning and when that wasn’t needed there was no spot for him. I’m curious to see how he does now that there appears to be an open spot on the blue line.
I've noticed this too, Benning still has some issues, but he's been much better as of late.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Russell - Larsson
Nurse - Benning (eep)
Gravel - Wideman

Jones - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Gravel - Benning

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Wideman

Nurse-Larsson is the only real option they have to play those minutes. Russell fades bad when he’s asked to play too much. I think you’re correct on what you think they’ll do.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Russell - Larsson
Nurse - Benning (eep)
Gravel - Wideman

Jones - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Gravel - Benning

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Wideman

I think I'd rather Nurse with Larsson. He's at least got the stamina to handle bigger minutes. Larsson can make up for some defensive deficiencies hopefully. Russell is too perfect for the middle pair and can shelter Benning a bit.

Not sure how much confidence I have in a Nurse - Benning pairing atm.

Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Gravel - Wideman...I guess

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I thought it was confirmed 4-6 weeks?
Nothing’s been confirmed yet that was what Gregor apparently got from his “insiders”.

According to 1260, it could be less than that or it could be longer . Let’s just pray it’s his finger and not his hand.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

When we got Wideman the specific thing I stated is that hitch should make him stir in his juices for the longest time possible. Make him wait. Make him have to think about what he's done to his career. I love that theres been the opportunity to have Wideman stew. Not as consequence, I just think its required sometimes, and beneficial for players to have to rethink the value of playing in the NHL and 100% appreciate the opportunity and everything that comes with it. Of course including appreciating coaching staff. Wideman might be better for the time its taking. I think he's only played 1 game here right?

Reactions: Mav3rick07

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nothing’s been confirmed yet that was what Gregor apparently got from his “insiders”.

According to 1260, it could be less than that or it could be longer . Let’s just pray it’s his finger and not his hand.
Oscar Klefbom broke two fingers last night and will be out of the lineup for weeks, and could require surgery depending on what the doctor determines during the examination.

Paging Nurse to the Top Unit

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think we could see Gravel and Nurse rotating on the top pairing with Larsson so neither of them has to play as many minutes as Klef did.

Rotating between:

Gravel-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Garrison/Wideman-Benning

and

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Garrison/Wideman

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Hope they're keeping Klef quarantined in a frigging oxygen tent this time, we do not need a 15-16 repeat.
images

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
so do you guys dress 7D now to take up the minutes Klef played

Yep... I've been saying that on the forums here for a while as well.

The team doesn't really have 12 good forwards on any given night as we've seen all season with the lack of decent winger options... and they can quite easily play the decent forwards they have for a few extra minutes to compensate for only having 11 forwards.

Having 7 dmen in the lineup would give them more options and would let a guy like Wideman/Garrison (or even Bear if he's called up) have more of an opportunity to be an offensive option on the PP and not have to play so many minutes that it hurts the team defensively.

I really do think that the 11F 7D option makes a lot of sense because of the way this team is structured currently.

Bouchard would have been a fantastic option in that situation as well if the team would have kept him up... playing as the 7D in the lineup with limited minutes and then giving him PP time would have helped the team offensively plus eases Bouchard into the roster as well by keeping his minutes down.

Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Benning
Gravel-Wideman
Garrison

I think that gives the Oilers more options and helps spread the pressure and minutes around more between Benning/Gravel/Wideman/Garrison.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Yep... I've been saying that on the forums here for a while as well.

The team doesn't really have 12 good forwards on any given night as we've seen all season with the lack of decent winger options... and they can quite easily play the decent forwards they have for a few extra minutes to compensate for only having 11 forwards.

Having 7 dmen in the lineup would give them more options and would let a guy like Wideman/Garrison (or even Bear if he's called up) have more of an opportunity to be an offensive option on the PP and not have to play so many minutes that it hurts the team defensively.

I really do think that the 11F 7D option makes a lot of sense because of the way this team is structured currently.

Bouchard would have been a fantastic option in that situation as well if the team would have kept him up... playing as the 7D in the lineup with limited minutes and then giving him PP time would have helped the team offensively plus eases Bouchard into the roster as well by keeping his minutes down.

I forget but what are the rules for calling up someone out of Jr. due to injury? I feel like I've heard about that happening before (but maybe not). Do you have to run out of farm team defense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad