Hitchcock for GM

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
The guy is a Head Coach, not a General Manager. He’s also 66 years old. That should be enough right there to answer your question. Be thrilled that he came out of retirement to take the coaching gig and leave it at that.
His age doesn’t matter one bit, if he can fly around the continent to coach and run practice’s he can definitely run a phone from a desk. He has 50 years of hockey knowledge and I’m sure he’s more qualified than PC

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
His age doesn’t matter one bit, if he can fly around the continent to coach and run practice’s he can definitely run a phone from a desk. He has 50 years of hockey knowledge and I’m sure he’s more qualified than PC
Just to be clear, are you suggesting he do both jobs? I need to know which bad idea, exactly, I’m arguing against.

Reactions: nturn06

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Hitchcock has (so far) shown to be a good fit as the head coach. That doesn't mean he should be the GM or that he'd even be a good GM.

I think fans here get way too high or low when things happen to the team--Rattie lighting the lamp in pre-season and drooling about our first line, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto showing glimpses in pre-season and thinking our RW depth is miraculously solved, hiring of Hitchcock and after a few games thinking he can solve our GM problems, etc.

I would let Hitchcock do what he does best and have him focus 100% on coaching. Then find a GM not named Chia that can get him the players he wants.

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Just to be clear, are you suggesting he do both jobs? I need to know which bad idea, exactly, I’m arguing against.
The guy who made this tread was just kicking tires, as am I. Obviously you’re good at shooting down ideas but I don’t hear any suggestions coming from you

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I have a serious man crush on Hitch..I could listen to him all day.

To me the best case scenario is (as @5 Mins 4 Ftg said) is for the Oilers to have enough success that Hitch stays on as HC for a couple of years. Then maybe he could stay on as a Senior consultant in some capacity.
I would like to see him become a permanent part of this organization moving forward but I dont think GM is a fit.

He was born to coach...he is just so damn smart and all over any tools/information that makes him a better coach.

I loved today in the PC when he mentioned the analytics and how the Zykov acquisition was a good fit for that reason.
Its something I never would have heard TMac talk about.
He then talked about the best fit for the player and which line would support the player the best.
Music to my ears.

Almostva complete 180 from McLellan.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Hitch for GM :thumbu:

41TPBvCC5ML._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The guy who made this tread was just kicking tires, as am I. Obviously you’re good at shooting down ideas but I don’t hear any suggestions coming from you
You didn’t answer my question. I think it’s important. Are you suggesting Hitchcock be both coach and GM or are you suggesting he stop coaching to be the GM?

Nobody does both those jobs anymore. There are numerous reasons for that. The two biggest being it’s too gruelling to do both. The second being the GM has to tell the player all the reasons he doesn’t deserve the money he’s asking for while the coach has to tell the player how good he is. The same guy can’t pull that off today in a cap world where every dollar saved is critical. Not even guys who were experienced and capable of doing both.

As far as Hitchcock goes, he didn’t come back because he wanted to be a GM. He came back because he missed coaching. Criticize me all you want for shooting down ideas but what sense does it make to ask a guy to either split his focus between coaching and a job he’s never done before or, even worse, ask him to stop doing the job he wanted for one he hasn’t done? All this at 66 years old.

As for my solution?
Hire a guy with executive experience to be GM. How hard was that?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You didn’t answer my question. I think it’s important. Are you suggesting Hitchcock be both coach and GM or are you suggesting he stop coaching to be the GM?

Nobody does both those jobs anymore. There are numerous reasons for that. The two biggest being it’s too gruelling to do both. The second being the GM has to tell the player all the reasons he doesn’t deserve the money he’s asking for while the coach has to tell the player how good he is. The same guy can’t pull that off today in a cap world where every dollar saved is critical. Not even guys who were experienced and capable of doing both.

As far as Hitchcock goes, he didn’t come back because he wanted to be a GM. He came back because he missed coaching. Criticize me all you want for shooting down ideas but what sense does it make to ask a guy to either split his focus between coaching and a job he’s never done before or, even worse, ask him to stop doing the job he wanted for one he hasn’t done? All this at 66 years old.

As for my solution?
Obviously if you read my earlier post you would clearly see I never suggested he do both but that his experience of coaching the team would serve well for knowing what this team really needs. How do you know he doesn’t want to be a GM, you don’t. And your solution for a GM couldn’t be any more vague, way to tippy toe your way around that, how weak

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
How old is Lou? Hitch might be one of those guys who is just bored sitting at home after retirement.

He was still working with the Stars org doing scouting on Western teams. He said it in a news conference. Stated the reason he felt he could take over the coaching job easily was because he knew the team (Oilers) very well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd be OK with

President of Hockey Ops - Ken Hitchcock
GM - Mark Hunter
Assistant GM/Head of Scouting - Keith Gretzky

Out: Chiarelli, Howson, Mac T, Bob Greene.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Obviously if you read my earlier post you would clearly see I never suggested he do both but that his experience of coaching the team would serve well for knowing what this team really needs. How do you know he doesn’t want to be a GM, you don’t. And your solution for a GM couldn’t be any more vague, way to tippy toe your way around that, how weak
You’re arguing with me as much as I’m arguing with you. You’re the one that initially responded to my post. It was the one where I said he’s a Head Coach and not a GM. At least I’ve tried to clarify what my position is here. I keep asking you what yours is and you won’t say.

I’ve got no idea what this team does for a GM other than to say I believe they need to make a change. I have posted numerous times in other threads though that I believe the hire is going to be disappointing to a lot of the fan base. Katz’ refusal to clean out his front office will disqualify the organization from hiring the best candidates. I suspect whomever takes over is already in the organization. It just doesn’t make much sense to me that it would be Hitchcock.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012

I guess I meant after this coaching season for hitch to be the GM, then hiring a coach he likes.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
He was still working with the Stars org doing scouting on Western teams. He said it in a news conference. Stated the reason he felt he could take over the coaching job easily was because he knew the team (Oilers) very well.

Fair enough. I didn’t know that.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012

As for my solution?

Coach until after this season, then transfer.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Coach until after this season, then transfer.
Thanks for clarifying. It does make a difference. Hitchcock loves coaching. It’s what he’s good at. I just can’t see him wanting to give that up to do a job he’s never done at this stage in his life. Maybe ten years ago but not know. I saw him on Primetime Sports the day after he coached his first game here and McCown asked him if the Oilers were the only team he would have considered coming out of retirement to coach. He said “absolutely because everything I have is due to Edmonton and Sherwood Park”. The guy was ready to retire but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to coach the Oilers. I just can’t see how you’d go from that to wanting to start brand new in an important position like GM.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I'd be OK with

President of Hockey Ops - Ken Hitchcock
GM - Mark Hunter
Assistant GM/Head of Scouting - Keith Gretzky

Out: Chiarelli, Howson, Mac T, Bob Greene.

I'm all for Hunter as GM but I am curious why Hitch would be POHO when he hasn't even been a GM in his career.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Hitchcock has (so far) shown to be a good fit as the head coach. That doesn't mean he should be the GM or that he'd even be a good GM.

I think fans here get way too high or low when things happen to the team--Rattie lighting the lamp in pre-season and drooling about our first line, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto showing glimpses in pre-season and thinking our RW depth is miraculously solved, hiring of Hitchcock and after a few games thinking he can solve our GM problems, etc.

I would let Hitchcock do what he does best and have him focus 100% on coaching. Then find a GM not named Chia that can get him the players he wants.
Yes, it's kind of sad what you said. After so many crap years, don't blame fans for wanting to see glimpses of hope turn out better.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I can make one. Fire Chiarelli and make Messier the GM!!!:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad