Hitchcock calls out team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I feel bad for all of the players. 95% of them are giving an honest effort every night and they're just completely and utterly overmatched. It's sickening that they're getting the blame for this mess.

Connor needs to demand a trade this offseason. That team won't be competing for at least another 5 years.
I think it's funny you've become a Yotes fan and they haven't improved a lick lol

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They constantly try new coaches and nothing ever changes... Outside 3 guys, this team doesnt have anybody that they can trade that can help this team make significant changes... So maybe they need to think outside the box and only have 1 untouchable guy and have everyone else on the block

So basically tell the league that RNH and Drai are available... Nobody really cares about the rest of the roster except McDavid obviously.. But he isnt going anywhere

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
They constantly try new coaches and nothing ever changes... Outside 3 guys, this team doesnt have anybody that they can trade that can help this team make significant changes... So maybe they need to think outside the box and only have 1 untouchable guy and have everyone else on the block

So basically tell the league that RNH and Drai are available... Nobody really cares about the rest of the roster except McDavid obviously.. But he isnt going anywhere
Draisaitl and Nurse are 2 guys who can likely fetch returns much greater than what they're actually worth. Draisaitl sucks without McDavid and Nurse is awful defensively and racks up secondary assists.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Are you even an Oilers fan?? I can't remember all the details but Gulletsan basically tore the players a new one last year and threw his stick into the upper deck which resulted in a 10 game winning streak putting them back in a playoff spot before the players quit on him (it's a weak character team). We basically got a top caliber head coach for the price of an assitant (while Calgary still pays him head coach $$$!)!

Wait, you are laughing at Calgary paying GG "head coaching dollars" (which I believe was at the very low end of head coaching salaries) without mentioning that McLellan is still being paid the fourth highest salary in the league (and will get it next year too), plus whatever Hitch is getting?

Also "top calibre"? Really?

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Bobby chimes in with some sensibilities.

DzIkJ8cU8AEJf8R.jpg:large

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Consistent pattern are Lowe McTavish and Howson.

Been there for nearly 2 decades. Overseeing all of this.
Lowe and McTavish. Howson was over here for quite some time, and actually managed to pull the Jackets most of the way out of the abyss MacLean left us in. Made it easy for Kekalainen to finish the job.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
The stick throwing incident where he got a temporary bump, then the team completely fell apart on him. He's a terrible coach he had no understanding of the players when it came to game planning, and the players tuned him out.

And I'm absolutely not an Oil fan, however I watch tons of Edmonton games because I watch a ton of hockey, and that Oilers team has very little work ethic and determination. They play like a team that would rather be golfing. The fact that you called Gully a top caliber head coach is hilarious by the way, I nearly did a spit take with my coffee.

His bottom 6 were AHL caliber, Matt Stajan was still playing regular minutes despite not being an NHL player for the last 3 seasons. Gulletsan got fired because the prim adonna’s forced the GM. Calgary’s loss is our gain!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah, the old guard has undoubtedly had some influence in the chronic dysfunction here. They are the common denominator, and to be at this stage having fired and re-hired and embarked on x number of "rebuilds", it's outrageous that Nicholson stood before the city and its fans - season ticket holders - and inferred that a change at the top level is off the table. EVERYTHING should be on the table.

That said, for the immediate intervention, getting rid of Lowe et. al will have no effect. That's an off-season move among others.

The problems in my mind are such: 1 questionable roster, 2 player mis-management (meaning having players in the wrong slots, playing erong minutes, etc.), and 3 player effort/players doing their own thing without team buy-in. And they're all coming into play.

Point #1: Manning, Petrovic, Cave, Benning, Gravel, Brodziak, are all examples of players that shouldn't be in the NHL of are at best on the proverbial bubble. The game has either passed them by (Brodziak), or they're simply not skilled enough. Any game we have at least 2 of the above in the lineup, some nights all of them.

Point #2: Talbot, Koskinen, Lucic, Larsson, Puljujarvi, Russell, Rattie, Rieder, to some degree Nurse, and in some ways Kassian are examples of players incorrectly slotted into spots that require skills that aren't there to meet the minutes. Granted, Hitch has resorted to moving players all over the lineup, but the results speak volumes.

Point #3: Rieder, Larsson, Kassian, Draisaitl, Rieder, Lucic are not bought-in. Either through lack of confidence or belief in the system, or simply not investing the effort required.

That leaves McDavid, Klefbom (injured most of the year), Khaira, RNH, and Chiasson - 5 freaking players - who're properly slotted into roles with the team that suit their skill level and are committed to the team vision. Of course, as the burden of carrying the team weighs on them, each is vulnerable to stretch their play beyond their capacities and to eventually show a lack of buy in as well. By-product of fatigue.

So there you have it, imho, the reasons for our failures and the breakdowns of why they've occurred. A team with 5 properly utilized players is going nowhere.

Fancy that.

Regardless of what Hitch has to say or do.
Tell that to the islanders who have the same team - Tavares and are absolutely killing it. Hard work and buy in go a long way in this league. The Oilers have neither.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
His bottom 6 were AHL caliber, Matt Stajan was still playing regular minutes despite not being an NHL player for the last 3 seasons. Gulletsan got fired because the prim adonna’s forced the GM. Calgary’s loss is our gain!

Please, please make this incredibly bad coach your head coach. He constantly misused the lineup, completely stiffled the top 6 with a stupid slow 80's style game. He wrecked Brodie beyond repair. He is a terrible coach. The fact that you think its your gain is hilarious. The Oilers hired a super dud to stand behind their bench as a possible replacement. The man is a clueless coach.

He makes Eakins look like a freaking genius.

If he becomes the head coach of the Oilers its the rest of the divisions gain.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Tell that to the islanders who have the same team - Tavares and are absolutely killing it. Hard work and buy in go a long way in this league. The Oilers have neither.

People like to vastly underrate the value of structured defensive play and goaltending in order to write a narrative built around the value of hard work.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Man... anyone who thinks GG is a good coach is out to lunch, he was awful here in calgary. Just wait till you see him use Lucic on the PP every game all year.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
It could happen, but his contract will not be extended and then Mark Messier will be GM and Esa Tikkanen will be the new head coach...with Moog, Jackson, Ranford, Nilsson, etc coming into "help"...which really means dinner with Katz.

At the end of the year I can feel Hitch letting loose on the organization top to bottom on a verbal nuke. I for one cannot wait

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
It could happen, but his contract will not be extended and then Mark Messier will be GM and Esa Tikkanen will be the new head coach...with Moog, Jackson, Ranford, Nilsson, etc coming into "help"...which really means dinner with Katz.

You’re joking and I know that but this organization would pull some dumb stuff like that. It’s just mind numbing the front office hasn’t been touched at all. We gone through this coach and that coach, GM after GM. Now the teams compete level is in question. What’s the only constant? Kevin Lowe and his gang of egotistical clowns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->